HELP! Using Hasselblad 553ELX with Imacon iExpress v96c and Strobes

Hi there,

I'm new to the Hasselblad and digital back community, as I received a lovely deal for a 553 and a v96c digital back and couldn't say no. I've managed to weave my way through many problems hooking the camera up to my laptop amongst other problems, so now I'm only left with one issue. I can use studio strobes with it.

I am using the sync cord to attach the lens to the digital back so it knows when the shutter fires, and I am not sure of what cable I need to connect the digital back to the slave or back of the studio strobe. Am I just missing that one cable, if so which is it? I'd really appreciate anyones help here.

The one way I've managed to get around this is firing the back from my laptop then firing the camera with the sync cable attached instead of attached to the back, but I'm hoping for a solution that allows me to move faster than this between photos.

If i remember right, the lower synch port on the left side (seen from behind) is the one the cable going to the flash is connected to.

Make sure that the voltage over the flash synch isn't too high (which it can be using older flash equipment). So better put a radio trigger between back and flash.

Have a look at this Wikimedia image:

File:Hasselblad 503CW V96C.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

The port left open in that image is the one to use to hook up your strobes.

It doesn't take a regular flash sync cable, but one with a TS jack, not uncommon in studio strobe equipment

Thanks so much for your help, so what cable am I looking for then? A 3.5mm to male PC to attach to the radio slave? A 2.5mm strobe splitter to connect the flash out on the back to the strobe back?

Yes, you need a cable with TS jack (i don't know the size. I don't have a V96C at hand. You do, so.. ;-) ) that at the other end plugs into a strobe or (radio) trigger.

What connector you need at that other end depends on your strobe or radio trigger.

No need for a splitter. Just a straight connector to connector cable, from back to strobe or trigger.