Help! Stuck Filter...

I bought an Olympus 17mm f2.8, with a 'protection' filter.

It won't come off.

Tried a pair of filter wrenches, one on the filter, the other on the lens barrel (it will just fit an closest focus), nothing.

Given up now as I'm too afraid of breaking the AF mechanism on this mostly plastic lens.

I think it's been on there since new. Maybe it's glued on?

With some filters, the glass is held in place by a threaded retaining ring. If this is the case, you could try to remove this, thus at least ensuring the filter does not shatter and spread broken glass over the place. Then, with a pair of needle nosed pliers, try to grip the filter mount and turn it gently. If all else fails, the filter mount can be used to attach other filters.

With some filters, the glass is held in place by a threaded retaining ring. If this is the case, you could try to remove this, thus at least ensuring the filter does not shatter and spread broken glass over the place...

Unfortunately, on Nikon lenses at least, the retaining ring is on the underside of the filter. Rats.

Can't think it would do harm, ex the use of too much force. Nikon filters, when facing the lens, unscrew in a counter clockwise direction. Wrap Gorilla Tape twice around just the edge of the filter in the same direction, leaving a couple of inches extra to fold and make a handle. Hold the lens firmly and apply reasonable pulling force. Worst case you might need a touch of lighter fluid or Goo Gone to clean off residue.

If you have a small soldering iron you can try heating the metal ring of the filter and then try turn the filter. You could also try a drop of penetrating oil on the joint between the filter and the lens. Let it sit overnight. Do not use too much or it may get where you don’t want it to get and make a mess. One or two drops at the most.

If you still haven't got the darn thing off yet Vincent, try hitting it!

Seriously. Get a stout bit of wood about 12" long and gently tap the filter rim in the direction of 'unscrew'. The vibration and repeated pressure usually knocks the threads out of lock.... eventually.

Try unscrewing the filter by hand every few taps and rotate the point on the rim where you're tapping the filter.

When you do get it loose, and assuming the filter's still useable, rub some candle wax into the threads to stop it sticking again.

Oh, and there's a lot to be said for 'cheap' plastic filter surrounds! Shame that so many people are snobby about them and hence manufacturers avoid them.

• Like 1

Oh, and there's a lot to be said for 'cheap' plastic filter surrounds

True, but to go the other direction there's a lot to be said for real brass filter rings (as on B+W filters) instead of aluminum. :p

It's already been suggested, sort of, but I still have the best luck with nesting the lens upright on something that won't damage the lens, taking one of the rubber 'top' openers, and pressing down hard vertically with the palm while twisting in the off direction.

As a very last resort I have been known to break the filter glass and remove all the bits, then using a junior hacksaw cut a slot in the ring as deeply as possible without cutting into the lens ring. It's possible then to twist it off with a pair of long nose pliers or similar. Alternatively leave the filter ring on and screw other filters on to it, this should not cause vignetting with a standard lens.

The more lightly built and plasticky the lens, the more chance there is of causing damage with any kind of excessive force.

Edited by John Seaman

Unfortunately, on Nikon lenses at least, the retaining ring is on the underside of the filter. Rats.

Is it a Nikon branded filter? I have bought several lenses with stuck filters, but the filters have always very cheap and rough along the thread. I have used Nikon and B&W filters for decades but have never experienced them getting stuck.

Niels

Most of the above methods are too drastic and risk damage. Try a few drops of isopropanol alcohol into the threads. It often provides enough lubrication to get things unscrewed, then evaporates harmlessly. This is not a force problem; anything that even slightly distorts the ring while trying to get it off, will just jam it tighter. Use flat friction surfaces from the front.

It is also possible for a broken filter to stick not only to the lens, but also to the lens cap. How do I know?

Broken-filter-0106-cr.jpg.dda25b6a5aa6f125c185c55fb22751f2.jpg

But some filters do protect the lens at great sacrifice and still come off easily

940890895_ActinaSUPER-SCRUfilter.JPG.46825c788bfdfd4f4bf541ec1a996964.JPG

The "Actina Super-Scru" and the glass is still intact too. Was ever a brand name more appropriate?

Just foolin' around from boredom after the main posts are apparently winding down/

Edited by JDMvW

Don't break the filter - but the idea of cutting a notch (actually two at 180 degrees apart) is not a bad one. Just use a hacksaw and simultaneously cut two notches into the filter ring at opposite sites of the filter across its diameter. Then insert the hacksaw blade (or something similar) into both notches and twist the filter ring off.

EDIT: a file might also do the trick cutting the notches. Or a Dremel.

The main question though is: why take the filter off in the first place?

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

Don't break the filter - but the idea of cutting a notch (actually two at 180 degrees apart) is not a bad one. Just use a hacksaw and simultaneously cut two notches into the filter ring at opposite sites of the filter across its diameter. Then insert the hacksaw blade (or something similar) into both notches and twist the filter ring off.

Was thinking along the same lines - the back a strong knife blade would work well.

• Like 1

The issue being that the force needed to free it up, even with notches cut, might cause too much strain on the lens body and put something out of kilter - unless the front part of the lens barrel can be gripped somehow, without causing scratching.

Actually I've deliberately broken the glass on stuck filters a number of times without damaging the lens. But as I said, only as a last resort.

Off topic - I once sold nice a tripod to a fellow course member. The column was in two parts which screwed together, so that it could be used at low level with one section removed. Well, the two sections seemed completely seized together and would not come apart despite all my efforts, using heat, cold, penetrating oil and as much force as I could muster.

The course member knew this and bought it anyway. As soon as he got it he lightly twisted the two sections and it came apart in a trice.