Help storing RAW files

john_patey

I shoot JPEG and RAW files and download to my MAC's Photo program. I cannot find a way to now transfer both files off my Mac to a portable hard drive. My Mac drive is all but maxed out and I need to move these to the portable drive as well as a cloud storage......HELP!!! Thanks in advance!

I don't use this program, but I assume that there is a way to export files from it. Connect an external hard drive and export the files to it. This is also an opportunity to edit--get rid of duplicates, technically poor images, etc. so that you don't fill up the external drive immediately. Be aware that the cloud has some issues: upload speeds for high speed internet are usually a fraction of download speeds and even JPEGs are relatively large files so it will take quit a while for your initial upload. Also, not all cloud services are created equal--if it seems to cheap to be true, it probably is and your files may not be there in a year when you need to get them because your computer died.
  • Like 2

Something else you might consider you can do when you transfer the files from your camera's card to your computer. At that time, immediately also transfer the files directly from the card to your backup disk. That way, in case anything goes wrong in the meantime, you always have your files in two places from the very beginning of the process.
  • Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Export?

Surely it's as simple as plugging the external drive into a USB port and, after waiting for the drive to be recognised, copying the files across from computer to external drive?

It shouldn't matter a jot what type of files they are. Data are data.

Yes, export.

As the OP said, he'd already imported his files from his card into his Mac Photos program. He wants to transfer the files from Mac photos to a hard disk. Mac Photos is often set up to auto import files from one's card and it's not always obvious where the actual folders are that now house those files. So, it can be much easier to export the files through the program than to dig through layers of libraries to find them.

"You talkin' to me?"

So, it can be much easier to export the files through the program than to dig through layers of libraries to find them.

Obviously not.

Copying a directory should be the simplest of operations, while it appears that 'exporting' through that program is problematic.

and it's not always obvious where the actual folders are....

Then that's poor computer management. As Ford Prefect said - "Always know where your towel is."

• Like 1

Then that's poor computer management.

You’re obviously not familiar with Mac Photos. The user doesn’t manage the files. When the files are imported (NOT COPIED) from the card, they are put into a hidden folder. It’s NOT like copying files to your computer. I’ve been through it. Have you imported photos to Mac Photos? If not, please don’t make assumptions about how it works.

"You talkin' to me?"

The user doesn’t manage the files. When the files are imported (NOT COPIED) from the card, they are put into a hidden folder....... Have you imported photos to Mac Photos?

I would certainly not use any piece of software that obscured its destination folder from me. That's just asking for a problem.

And where did you put daddy's car keys Johnny? Think Johnny, think!

I would certainly not use any piece of software that obscured its destination folder from me. That's just asking for a problem.

Understood. But, the OP made a different choice and IS already using that program and asked a question based on his current situation. I hope the article is helpful to him. Hopefully, a better and truer solution than telling him he should know where he put the photos, which is irrelevant to helping him move his files to a backup.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

....the OP made a different choice and IS already using that program and asked a question based on his current situation. I hope the article is helpful to him. Hopefully, a better and truer solution than telling him he should know where he put the photos,

Fair point, but I think that treating computers like untrustworthy and ill-behaved children is good advice too.

• Like 2

Fair point, but I think that treating computers like untrustworthy and ill-behaved children is good advice too.

lol. Much of what I see are users who act like untrustworthy and ill-behaved children in front of computers that are merely doing what they do. A lot of the time, if we would ask ourselves what we could do differently, we’d be in better shape. Kicking the tire doesn’t fill it with air ...:)

"You talkin' to me?"

I'm with rodeo_joe on this one. If there is any way to tell the program where to organize your files, do it. If not, feel free to use it to view or edit your pictures, but for the purpose of long term storage, you need to be able to find your data on the computer without the help of anything more than a file browser or command shell.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on how to solve your current problem, I don't even use a Mac, but it might be something to consider for the future, to avoid getting yourself into this situation again when your photos contain years' worth of work or memories.

"It’s possible to disable the import feature, and then use the Photos app simply as a way of browsing images that exist outside of the Photos Library package. This technique is useful if you prefer to arrange your images into the folders and subfolders of your choosing, for example if you already have a ‘Photos’ folder that contains all of your snaps, neatly divided into sub-folders, then you can disable the import feature and use Photos simply as an image-viewing app, not all that dissimilar to Preview."

This is probably what I would do.

Even better would be a program that can organize your photos automatically according to your pre-defined rules based on metadata such as time, location, project name etc. Less opportunity for errors. Interestingly, there are a number of music library management software that can do this, but I have not yet come across a photography equivalent. Capture One can export the original files and organize the copies automatically according to rules you define, but a copy is made in every case, and it does not organize your current library in such a manner.

• 2 weeks later...
You’re obviously not familiar with Mac Photos. The user doesn’t manage the files. When the files are imported (NOT COPIED) from the card, they are put into a hidden folder. It’s NOT like copying files to your computer. I’ve been through it. Have you imported photos to Mac Photos? If not, please don’t make assumptions about how it works.

I have done it, and it took me a while to find where it put them.

Mostly I used du to find where the increase in used disk space was going.

-- glen