Help - sold an extended warranty on refurb D90 - now they say it doesn't apply!

ed_lemko

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

Wondering if any out there had a similar situation - or have any advice<br>

Bought a refurbished D90 at a large reputable NY reseller- march 2010<br>

90 day warranty, 14 day return, wanted to sell me the extended service coverage, also from Nikon, but I said I'll take a look at the camera 1st-- if I keep it, can I still buy the 2 yr coverage. The guy says I can buy it in 30 days, no problem<br>

Took a week, loved the D90, called back in April 2010 to buy the extended warranty, 2 yrs.<br>

Called Nikon, they said I could send in the warranty card within 1 yr of the purchase date, I dont have to get scared of the envelope it came in that says "must return in 1 week for coverage".<br>

So now it November, I'm sending in the warranty card, and following up by phone to make sure it's registered under my name, camera serial, etc.<br>

Nikon claims that I can not buy an extended warranty coverage for a refurbished camera (again, refurbished by Nikon, extended warrantee is yellow and black Nikon, both bought from same sales person at reseller over phone). <br>

I cant believe it. I would never have bought the refurb if I knew I'd be stuck with 90 days! Isn't that the point of buying a (somewhat) expensive policy-- it's especially useful to those buying refurbs?<br>

So my next call will be to the reseller, for them to refund the money for the E/W, but also take back my camera. You see, I bought the refurb --expressly-- to have it in conjunction with the extended warranty, no other reason. Otherwise, I would have bought new, or bought something else. No question, I bought the refurb ONLY because of the option to buy the warranty. <br>

In my opinion, the reseller should be on the hook for both the warranty and the camera, whether this was an honest mistake by the sales guy, or on purpose.<br>

Any ideas before I call the reseller? They will probably refund the warranty but obviously balk at taking back a 7 month old camera, lightly used. But on principle, they should eat it, and refund my money, or am I wrong?<br>

Anyone know who runs the authorized reseller program at Nikon? Would be a good point of help if things don't progress.<br>

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sorry to hear that. I have no special knowledge of the extented warranty, but from what I gather it is for NEW cameras. As you bought it separate from a REFURBISHED camera, I do not think you'll be sucessful at returning the camera - though the warranty seems to have been sold under false premises/lack of knowledge and you should get that money back. I guess you can open a dispute with BBB or something like that...</p>

<p>I never get these extended warranties... they may come in handy once in a while but overall I think you lose money. Nikon cameras are pretty sturdy - and repairable - and I never had an equipment failure that I did not cause (one dropped lens, one bent pin in the CF slot that lead to a short).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Since all new Nikon DSLRs from Nikon USA automatically have a one-year warranty, as far as I know, the so called "two-year" extended warranty essentially covers the 2nd year, after the regular warranty expires at the end of the 1st year. Therefore, the two-year warranty does not make any sense on a refurb, which only has a 90-day warranty.</p>

<p>If the above is correct, I think the OP should get a refund on the extended warranty since it does not apply to this camera and therefore should never have seen sold to him in the first place. I wonder why it could be sold at all without accompanying the sale of a new DSLR sale. Something is not right.</p>

<p>I learned that no Nikon extended warranty is valid in the State of Washington, and even then I was sold one 4 years ago by a local camera store!! Shun is right, Nikon cameras are so well built you don't need an extended warranty, they are just a waste of money.</p>

<p>The refurbished item had a clear 90-day warranty piece of paperwork, right? You wanted to make a good savings and took the chance. Some states (Virginia and Florida) have consumer laws that make a "extended" warranty at the time of purchase questionable.</p>

<p>If you paid with a credit card, you may have to do a written letter and go after the $ amount of your extended warranty. You'll probably get a refund on that amount. But the camera has been used, so it may not result in a return to the store you bought it from.</p>

<p>And if you really feel like stirring the pot, visit the City of New York web-site. They have a office that really likes to handle complaints against businesses in the City of New York that have deals that are deals...</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>No question, I bought the refurb ONLY because of the option to buy the warranty. <br /> In my opinion, the reseller should be on the hook for both the warranty and the camera, whether this was an honest mistake by the sales guy</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you were sold an ineffective warranty service then are entitled to a refund of that. Unless you actually and expressly informed the sales person that you were only going to buy the camera on condition that the warranty came with it, then you bought the camera fair and square. It's a complete separate transaction that had nothing to do with an extra warranty purchase. An independent contract was formed, completed and the duties of each side discharged. It looks very doubtful the transaction was made conditional especially since the warranty was purchased on a completely separate date.</p>

<p>What if you decided not to buy the warranty then the seller suddenly demanded payment for it? Under your theory here, the camera purchase would be conditional on the warranty coming with it. The seller could demand you pay for it since you, likewise, would be obligated as that was part of the bargain. In that case you would probably have come here unhappy about this demand being made with the "opinion" that you had a separate transaction without the extra warranty. Well, it works both ways.</p>

<p>Unless you EXPRESSLY DECLARED that the sale was conditional and can prove it (which is very doubtful without extrinsic evidence), you are out of luck unless the seller has customer service that goes beyond its obligations.</p>

<p>I agree with you John. So basically the dealer doesn't have to refund on the camera if he doesn't want to. In this case I am sure that he doesn't want to because you have the camera for 9 months. If you just got it, he still doesn't have to, but might take it back on his good will but I am sure he can't let you use the camera 9 months for free.</p>

<p>An extended warranty is a '<em>waste of money</em>' only to those who don't have to make a claim and/or don't appreciate the piece of mind you get by having one. Anyone who has one and ends up using it feel great about making the decision to purchase it. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The refurbished item had a clear 90-day warranty piece of paperwork, right? You wanted to make a good savings and took the chance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, 90 days, a refurbished camera. That's why I bought the 2 yr warrantee with it-- and conversely-- I bought the camera BECAUSE the 2 yr warranty was available.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unless you actually and expressly informed the sales person that you were only going to buy the camera on condition that the warranty came with it,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, that's why I used the word --expressly-- in my original post. I --expressly-- stated that, since I never buy refurb, and I never buy extended warranties because I always buy new products, that in this instance, I'd be convinced to buy the refurb, only since I could cover my 90 days with an extended warranty, so I'd feel solid in my purchase of a refurb.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The refurbished item had a clear 90-day warranty piece of paperwork, right? You wanted to make a good savings and took the chance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right. I took a chance because it was a Nikon refurb, so I figured it's reliable, and the extended warranty covered my butt, and that was a Nikon warranty too.<br>

Incidentally guys, not only did the reseller not tell me that I can't buy an E/W with a refurb camera, the warranty that came from them-- the Nikon yellow and black 2 yr warranty for D90 and D80 it said-- nowhere does it and did it say that it does not apply to refurbs. Nowhere! I just sat on hold on Nikon's help line earlier, and hit the selection for repair-- and while I was on hold, it told me all the 4 or 5 stipulations in warraties-- you have to be on time... ok ok, you have to have your serial number-- ok ok, etc, even that did not say "and warranties do not apply to refurbished products". Not a work. Packaging? Just an envelope with a postcard with little squares that you fill out with your email and serial # and purchase date, etc. Nowhere does it say no refurbs-- just D90 and D80-- and I have a d90!<br>

And in a panic when I got the warranty envelope in April 2010 I called Nikon to say -- hey-- it says I have to send it in within a week-- is it true? And the guy says no, you have a year to send it in. Nobody asked about refurb-- and I didn't bring it up. Why the heck for? Isn't it completely logical that refurb customers will be much more likely to spring for a warranty? <br>

It makes no sense that Nikon says this is invalid. Nothing on the packaging. Nothing said by the reseller. Remember from math class-- "if and only if"? I dont buy warrantees-- I trust new products. But the chance I do see a good deal on a refurb, I wanted the warrantee. I'll buy the refurb only because I see that the warranty will cover me. That's the whole point of warranties! You pay for them, they should be in effect, or at least labelled!<br>

I smell some consumer problem here, but I'm not a lawyer. I just want to be treated fairly.<br>

Still have to call the reseller. Everyone has quit for the holiday... Happy TG.</p>

<p>"Called Nikon, they said I could send in the warranty card within 1 yr of the purchase date, I dont have to get scared of the envelope it came in that says "must return in 1 week for coverage".</p>

<p>Now with the invention of computers, you may also register your Nikon product (lens, camera, etc.) via the Internet. You can save on postage....</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I --expressly-- stated that, since I never buy refurb, and I never buy extended warranties because I always buy new products, that in this instance, I'd be convinced to buy the refurb, only since I could cover my 90 days with an extended warrant</p>

</blockquote>

<p>"[C}ould" doesn't really mean conditioned upon or serve as a prerequisite. Just because you could, doesn't mean you will. Even saying 'because you will be buying a warranty' isn't really an expression of that sort. Its more of a statement of your plans at the moment. Failure to buy the warranty at the same time as the camera only creates more doubt. Plus the nine months of use. Plus the lack of proof that there was a communication about the conditional nature of the pruchase even if the communication were sufficient.</p>

<p>As to the warranty, there is every reason to be unhappy and it would be more disturbing if ineffective warranties were being sold purposefully. As to the camera, don't get your hopes too high. Since you bought it used, you may be able to sell it yourself without too much loss.</p>

<p>You should get your money back for the warranty, but you are very likely out of luck as far as returning the camera. However, if you've had it for 9 months and are happy with it I'd stop worrying. The D90 is a well made camera and will probably last a lot longer than the time that extended warranty covered.</p>

<p>Cameta states on the sales page for the Nikon 2 - Year Extended Service Coverage Agreement http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-2-YR-Digital-SLR-Extended-Warranty-D90-D80-D70s-D70-D50-12670.cfm that it is for NEW products only. So does amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Extended-Service-Coverage-Agreement/dp/B0017TOLM6 Adorama does not state this: http://www.adorama.com/INKEWD90.html but writes: <em>becomes valid upon the expiration of the Nikon U.S.A. Inc. limited Warranty that was included with your camera, </em>which could be understood as to include refurbished products as well. B&H uses the same language: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478634-REG/Nikon_5762_2_Year_Extended_Service_Coverage.html<br>

The only place I can find any info about this Extended Service Coverage on the nikonusa.com website: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16192/p/19%2C544/r_id/116678 it states:<em> These coverages extend your original Nikon warranty for two additional years. The ESC can be purchased ay time within the original one year Nikon Inc. warranty. </em>Though not stated outright, it seems to indicate that refurbished products are not covered since they come with a 90-day limited warranty: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13651/p/19%2C544/r_id/116678 <br>

Pretty messy situation - unless it states somewhere on the actual agreement that it applies to NEW products only or that refurbished products are excluded. Hard to say where that leaves you - there simply isn't enough information available to establish whether the extended warranty was sold in error. And whether or not you could get your money for the camera back - that seems to be another story altogether. Though purchasing the Nikon 2 - Year Extended Service Coverage at a later date - but within the warranty period - is perfectly acceptable according to Nikon.</p>

<p>I would say you have a case for getting your money back on the extended warranty, but I cant see the store taking the camera and giving you your money back. The best you can hope for is that they extend the 90 day warranty they gave you, for say another 90 days, as gesture of good faith.<br>

This only becomes an issue if something goes wrong with the camera, which as far as I can tell from the OP is not the case, and is probably unlikely anyway, so just enjoy the camera, take some great pictures and put this one down to experience.</p>

<p>The Nikon D90 is a great camera. If you are satisfied with its performance, just continue to use it and stop worrying. Nothing is likely to go wrong with it. </p>

<p>As far as the extended warranty, I would get my money back. If you have trouble with the dealer, call your credit card company and explain that you were sold an extended warranty for an ineligible product. </p>

<p>Life is short. Don't agonize over this.</p>

<p>I will take a position on "refurbished". Sorry, its "secondhand" or "used" and warranties only apply to NEW.<br>

BUT...I think Nikon should back their refurbishment work with an "as new" warranty....maybe 3 months is ok. If its going to fail, it would have done by then.<br>

Consumer bodies for the most part are very difficult to repair. Most failures come from abuse, water, dropping etc. The circuit boards are not easily swapped out, and with the two year product life of DSLRs, redundancy is always just around the corner.</p>

<p>I have purchased Nikon refurbs - D50, D40, D90, as well as several lenses. NEVER had a problem. I never purchase an extended warranty when new. If they sold you an E/W that has no value, then you should get your $ back for that. As far as the camera goes -- it works, so why complain? Use it and enjoy it. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you bought the camera from Adorama the extended warranty is from Mack, not Nikon. Go back to the website and check.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>@Mark, the warrantee is a black and yellow nikon logo-ed envelope with a postcard inside that I mailed to a nikon address, so the mack thing is not in play. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I will take a position on "refurbished". Sorry, its "secondhand" or "used" and warranties only apply to NEW.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>@Shadforth Stephen: that's part of my personal disagreement-- that either in print nor online there is no mention in the 2 yr nikon ESC that it does not apply to refurb-- literally nowhere. There's stull about addresses, and neglect, and sending it in, and peace of mind, and being in force when the original waranty runs out, but nothing AT ALL about refurb. <br>

Thanks for the input- I'm calling the reseller on Monday. </p>

<p>Ed, a 90 day Nikon warranty comes with all refurbished by Nikon cameras. I bought a refurbished P6000 that developed a problem quickly and was repaired by Nikon under the 90 day warranty. The extended warranty is seperate and is from Mack if you bought from Adorama. Call the dealer. Who did you buy from?</p>

<p>Mark, it's not Adorama. I could tell you who it is, but I'm just wanting to make sure they aren't simple making a mistake before I get into it. I wan't able to call today due to travel, I'll call them in a day. The waranty says "nikon waranty" (or rather "said", as I mailed the little postcard in, and there really wasn't anything else that came with it other than an envelope, which reads:</p>

<p>Nikon 2 year digital SLR extended service coverage D90 D80</p>

<p>"product # 5762, not intended for sale in WA, VA, FL" - i'm in jersey. "suggested list price 129.95"</p>

• 1 month later...