Help Please: Practical Tips for Indoor Flash at San Francisco City Hall (engagement shoot)

ryanhasvold

This is a very specific request, but I haven't found anything on the Googles or forums, so hoping someone here can help out!

I'm doing an engagement session for a couple in San Francisco City Hall, and a lot of the research I've done suggests that off-camera flash will help tremendously to get the results I have in mind. Searching through the official rules at FILM & PHOTO | San Francisco City Hall Events it lists two main criteria for flash:

1. Lighting equipment must be battery-operated.

2. Do not use flash equipment that will cause a significant visual disturbance.

Number 1, check. No issues with my Yongnuo speedlight.

Number 2... what the heck defines a "significant visual disturbance?" A bare flash going off for a cool backlight effect? A flash with an attached modifier like a MagMod/GaryFong/Rogue Flashbender? A flash on a stand with a shoot-through umbrella? A certain level of flash power? That pretty much covers the scenarios for my current gear...

I'd really appreciate any advice from someone who has shot with flash indoors at SF City Hall and can tell me roughly what their equipment/setup was, and if they ever ran into issues with causing a "significant visual disturbance" in the process. Not looking to steal anyone's ideas or "what were your settings" type questions, just general pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've shot weddings and parties at SF City Hall on several occasions and have never been bothered by anyone about anything. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My recommendation would be to shoot during the week if possible when it will be less crowded. Don't know how familiar you are with SF City Hall but it's an amazing place to shoot. Make sure to check out all the levels. The windows are large and there is often incredible natural light in many parts of the building. You may use the flash as fill light but it's not like your flash is going to suddenly illuminate an otherwise dark room, so it won't be all that noticeable. Lots of natural light pours in. The main staircase, which is where a lot of people shoot, might require some extra lighting, but if you shoot nearer the exterior walls, the natural light may suffice. There's lots of architectural interest all over the place so look for interesting nooks and crannies. You may catch a guard on an off day who might say something about flash, but I doubt it as long as you're not intrusive. Shooting weddings, or at least doing engagement and wedding photos, is pretty common there, so it's hard to imagine a scenario where you're being professional and someone bothers you. Have fun!
  • Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

• 3 weeks later...
I've shot weddings and parties at SF City Hall on several occasions and have never been bothered by anyone about anything. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My recommendation would be to shoot during the week if possible when it will be less crowded. Don't know how familiar you are with SF City Hall but it's an amazing place to shoot. Make sure to check out all the levels. The windows are large and there is often incredible natural light in many parts of the building. You may use the flash as fill light but it's not like your flash is going to suddenly illuminate an otherwise dark room, so it won't be all that noticeable. Lots of natural light pours in. The main staircase, which is where a lot of people shoot, might require some extra lighting, but if you shoot nearer the exterior walls, the natural light may suffice. There's lots of architectural interest all over the place so look for interesting nooks and crannies. You may catch a guard on an off day who might say something about flash, but I doubt it as long as you're not intrusive. Shooting weddings, or at least doing engagement and wedding photos, is pretty common there, so it's hard to imagine a scenario where you're being professional and someone bothers you. Have fun!

Huge thank you for the input! I read it before but just now getting around to responding. Absolutely stunning place to shoot, and you're right--very little need for flash in most cases. I saw multiple other photographers with speedlights, some even on light stands with modifiers, so I had no problem using my own with a small diffusion dome on it. Probably also helped that it was a Monday morning.

Added two of my favorites from the shoot--cheers, and thank you again!

Rita-Mirza-Engagement-2018-61.thumb.jpg.b62c5f0d71dfbb59b08117ead2bd72e6.jpg

Rita-Mirza-Engagement-2018-44.thumb.jpg.889b5a6ebbbdc28b1d0ba2100349f250.jpg