Help - Nikon D90 & Yongnuo YN465 flash

jorge_oliveira2

<p>Hello,<br>

I've purchased an YN465 to use with my D90.<br>

With flash in iTTL mode, camera in manual mode (f/5.6, 1/100s, ISO 200), photos are very dark. Flash was replaced by seller, with same result.<br>

I tested the first unit in a friend's D300 - same result.<br>

With flash in manual mode, I'm able to adjust power output to get a decent photo.<br>

Thanks for your help!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Personally I would not consider it as my main flash, and I have an SB-600 for my D90, but I have heard of a lot of people using these as Wireless slaves with success (both with Nikon and Cannon), and at their price you can buy two or three for a good multi-flash setup and not have to worry about whether they last or not -they are almost disposable. Buying 2 or 3 SB-600's that will rarely get used is not an option, so I'm tempted to get a couple of these cheap flashes myself to use as wireless slaves. I would be very interested to know how you get on with them.</p>

<p>Guys<br>

I avoid using a flash as much as possible,and the pop up one is worse option. A cheap add-on flash is always better than it (bounce light, diffuser, etc)<br>

For those of you that are fond of handheld flash light, enjoy your SBXXX units.<br>

Now, may we focus back on why nobody bashes the YN465 on Google but it doesn't works as expected in my case?</p>

<p> </p><div>00X6WG-270559684.thumb.jpg.5cf94d90009a23a971fa5b0d8882ff0d.jpg</div>

<p>Nigel - I am doing the same.. I have SB600 which I choose to keep on camera, and add YN560 as second side flash. I have been using the optical sensor (with S1 setting to avoid preflashes), but I am curious to know what do you mean by them being setup as Wireless slaves ? Do you mean by adding some add ons or just opticaltriggered ?</p>

<p>"<em>why nobody bashes the YN465 on Google but it doesn't works as expected in my case?" </em>- Google is not photography specific. This is an unimportanmt product that people do not pay attention, and instead get flash that works.</p>

<p>Unfortunately you got your copy of the flash and seems strugle with it. Question would be why did you get it ? If something is not bashed, it does not necessarily mean that is good. There is a lot of false advertising out there, mostly by vendor's that sell over the Internet. </p>

<p>.. other found blogs existing out there, are produced by one person. He may be on some some kind of crusade?, since he says has no connection or interest in the product.</p>

<p>Hi Jorge. I would like to try to help with your original question. You posted a sample of a shot without flash. Is that to show that the YN465 did not fire, or do you have a sample of the underexposed shot? Is the YN465 also consistently underexposed (for example, always 1/3 or 2/3 stop underexposed)?<br>

For comparison purposes, someone showed his shots with the YN465 here: http://speedlights.net/2010/06/08/more-i-ttl-pictures-with-yongnuo-yn-465/</p>

<p>Hello, Michael<br>

Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>The reason I've posted the photo was to show I only use a fash as a last resourece, so spending a bundle in a high priced unit doesn't makes sense to me, if I can find a lower priced alternative.</p>

<p>The behaviour of the YN465 is repetitive - it always produces heavily underexposed photos.<br>

If I fire the flash using the test button in TTL mode, it produces a very dim light (not so in manual mode and high power).<br>

When I use it in the camera, the light is as dim to my eye, whatever the camera setting may be.</p>

<p>Take care,</p>

<p>Hi Jorge. Initially I thought maybe there was insufficient power (perhaps you were bouncing or something) but since you say that it doesn't have that problem in manual mode, then power is not the issue. Got a couple of questions:<br>

1. Please see the link I provided before - can you confirm your shots are dimmer than those?<br>

2. What happens if you increase flash exposure compensation? Does the flash respond?<br>

3. It is possible that the main contact is connected to your hotshoe, but the TTL contacts are not connecting properly. Have you tried making sure the flash is fully seated in the hot shoe? <br>

I think it might be a defect but I find it incredible that you would receive two defective units. Unfortunately I don't have a Yn465 to test. You may want to check out the Flickr yongnuo user group and post a message there:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/groups/yongnuo/<br>

Best regards,<br>

Michael</p>

Hi Jorge. I saw your most recent post to the flickr thread. Sorry it didn't work out for you. You mentioned though that you turn on the camera and the flash before inserting the flash in the camera. I don't think that's the right way. I think you turn off both camera and flash, insert the flash, turn on the camera, then turn on the flash. Perhaps that might work for you.

Best regards,

Michael