HELP! Nikon D50 Err....

christinadurham

Make sure, if your lens has an aperture ring, that it's set at the smallest aperture (biggest number). Normally there's a lock on the lens to make sure it can't move from this position, but there may not be.

That's normally what 'Err' means for me. I think in general it means it can't control the lens in some way, so cleaning the contacts may be another option. I've heard of crud getting in there before now.

"Err" has nothing to do with an incorrectly set aperture ring. That <b>always</b> displays a "fEE" error message.<P>

"Err" usually means an electronic fault within the camera (or lens in rare circumstances). Sometimes that can be as simple as a build up of static charge, and removing and reinstalling the battery, or doing a system reset, will often cure the problem. If those two solutions don't work, it might be as Peter suggests - something more sinister which may require a trip to Nikon to diagnose and repair.<P>

Good luck.<div>00KyA6-36283684.jpg.37a2037db909566299872c668ba9068e.jpg</div>

With the camera OFF, try twisting the lens in the camera mount. People have gotten ERR when the lens contacts haven't been seated properly. If this solves the issue, you may want to use alcohol and a cotton swab to clean the lens contacts. I hope this works for you.

Christina, Err is a fatal error. For whatever reason, the camera body and lens are not communicating. The only thing I would add is try a different lens (if you have one, obviously). And make sure the camera is turned off when you change lenses.

If you don't have another lens, you might take the D50 into a local camera shop and try out one of their lenses. Can't hurt to take along the one you have as well. Maybe they can look at it and give you a quick solution.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 8/22/08 I was in a cemetary in Savannah trying to take pictures. As soon as I got out of the air conditioned car into the warm, very humid air (courtesy of tropical storm Fay) my camera lenses fogged up. I made the very silly error of taking off one lense to put on another, and then the inside mirrors of my camera became fogged too. I pressed the shutter button anyway to see what would happen, and the camera locked up and gave me the dreaded "err" signal.

I tried EVERYTHING. After the camera was back inside the air conditioning, I switched batteries, took out my sd card, wiped off the connection rings, pressed the reset button, etc... I finally figured out that what was wrong was that the mirror on the inside of the camera was flipped up - thus I couldn't see anything through the camera. (go to menu, wrench sign (4th icon down), then "mirror lock-up" to re-create the cirumstance... this is an option in case you need to clean the inside of the camera, while protecting the internal mirrors). Unfortunately in my case, the camera had locked the mirror up itself, and wouldn't even give me the option of putting it back down through the menu (that menu item was greyed out, I couldn't select it).

I'm not really sure what I did differently but I did end up fixing it. Christina, IF your mirror is locked up, try this. Turn the camera off, take the battery out, take the SD card out, take the lens off. Press the reset button on the bottom of the camera (required a pen). Put on a DIFFERENT lens, put the battery and sd card back in, turn the camera on. Take the lense cap off, ignore the error sign, and PRESS THE SHUTTER BUTTON.

All of a sudden, the camera took a picture. Now it's totally fine. I just wish I knew why!

• 1 year later...
<p>I did what <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4461926">Sarah Hartman</a> say and it work for me too. I even push the mirror up with my finger and notice the rear curtain sync half open...I fix it also with my finger. Thanks Sarah....!!!!!!!!</p>

• 7 years later...
OMG! I fixed my D50. I moved the mirror up and noticed the the rear curtain sync half open. Moved up with my finger worked like a charm. Yahoo!!!

You poked the shutter with your finger and it fixed the camera? Wow. :-) (It is possible for the shutter to get wedged in a funny position, but it certainly shouldn't happen under normal use, and I'd be quite concerned that the shutter curtains might have got bent so they foul again.) Best of luck - I hope it continues to behave.