Help, new computer won't power up, hints to try?

Hi,

So I went the new MB build route. I've assembled the components

carefully making sure all my connections are correct. When I try to

power the unit up, the fans start for about 2-3 seconds, there is a

small beep, and the fans shut off. Turning off the PS and turning

it back on will allow you to repeat the cycle.

Any hints as to what to try?

MB MSI Km2M combo board with sound, lan, and video.

AMD XP2000 retail

Maxtor 60gb HD

CD-rom

Floppy

400w Allied supply

256MB PC 133, very generic.

Thanks, I'm going to contact MSI to for help.

Some motherboards are designed where the beeps indicate the error--check the motherboard manual to see if yours has this feature.

Remove everything from the motherboard except the CPU and video card, and power on. If it boots up and you get an expected error message (such as "no HDD"), power down and add one component. Repeat. This may help you detect the faulty component.

Good luck!

Hi Jeff, Indeed some BIOSes in motherboards can give you a clue as to a problem via a series of beeps; however it sounds to me like your power supply might be bad because the fan shuts off. Even if there is a POST error (Power On Self Test) with beeps, I would think the fans in the power supply would stay on. At least that's been my experience. If you disconnect the powersupply from the motherboard and the power supply fan stays on, it might be that you need a bigger powersupply (more wattage) to power up what you've installed in your machine. Good luck!

Hi Jeff

I agree with Hyun - The only way to go is to check the 'beep code' with the m/board manual, and start pulling out components until it works.

I seem to remember having a similar problem when I upgraded a M/board and processor a few years ago (although the kit was second-hand, and I guess your's is new) - I had the startup for a few seconds followed by an auto shut off, and it was because I had fried my AMD Duron processor. May be worth checking with this if you have a spare/old processor hanging around.

Best of luck

One problem with the newer generations of CPUS and power supplies: I've returned two different power supplies, only to realize that some power supplies only work on AMD CPUs and some only work on Intel CPUs. Check the box to make sure the power supply supports Athlon processors.

Thanks all! Power supply is certified for XP processor. Disconected everything but CPU, memory, and video on board, still get error. No beep codes that I can find in the manual, I'll keep looking.

Interestingly when I disconect the power leads to the MB, the PS does nothing! Bad power supply?

So if the power supply does not go on, the fan dosen't turn when the with all lead disconected and the PS plugged in, is that a bad supply?

By the way, this build with parts stuff has been a huge pain. New Egg sent a busted case, and now maybe a manky power supply. Not what I expected.

I think that motherboard has two power connectors <b>that must be connected to POST</b> (power on self test). You have the main ATX connector which is obvious because of it's size, but you also have the 4 pin square connector as well.

I've caught myself many a time forgetting to plug the extra 4pin square connector into the MB, and the motherboard will only pop on and off as you describe. Double check this.

Scott,

Thanks, but I did check both MB power connections several times along with every other connection. With all leads disconnected will the power supply come on with both cooling fans or does it need a load? When everything is hooked up, it starts but then powers off. I also wonder if it just doesn't like my memory. The manual says the MB won't power up without memory so maybe it can't see mine. I have some other modules I can try.

Thanks, and please post if you think of anything else.

Jeff,

How are you trying to turn on the computer? Have you connected the case's on/off switch to the appropriate pins on the motherboard? ATX power supplies need input from the motherboard to turn itself on.

If you have attached the on/off switch, and it still doesn't power on, try reversing the pins.

(1) Unplug everything including floppy drives, IDE cables, etc., for troubleshooting.

(2) The only thing that should be plugged in is both power connectors to the MB, and the power switch button on the case. Of course you should have a stick of RAM slotted in bank 0 and your CPU/heatsink in place. To be honest, you don't even need the case power switch connector plugged in since tapping the two designated pins with a screwdriver will initiate a startup. If you've got everything together and the power switch works, just keep using it. Otherwise, the way I test new motherboards is just throw them on the workbench minus the case, and power them up first before installing them.

(3) Try resetting the CMOS, which should be indicated in your manual by two pins and a jumper. You usually just move the jumper to the reset position, and then back to set everything back to default. This is a bit more common a procedure than you might think.

(4) Pulling the CPU off and re-seating it won't hurth either, although PLEASE remember to remount the CPU cooler. An Athlon will run about 1.5 seconds without a cooler before catching fire. I'm not kidding.

Since this board does both SDR and DDR, it makes memory troubleshooting kind of difficult. The fact the machine starts and then powers down tends to indicate it's not a power supply issue. I've used about ten of those same power supplies with no problems. They aren't the most heavy duty, but they aren't crap either.

The only power connector you need is the 20 pin ATX connector to the MB. The additional 4 pin connector is used for Intel compatible MB's.

The AMD compatible MB's I have don't use or even have a place to plugin the 4 pin connector.

Could be a faulty PS or a faulty MB, either way.

Check all your jumper/dip switch settings etc. to make sure they are correct for your processor and memory if need be.

If you have another ATX MB handy you could try connecting the PS to it, but since you haven't mentioned that, you probably don't have anything else available.

What I'd check carefully is that each pin on the atx connector is fully seated, then I'd check the MB connector and flip the board over to check the solder joints to make sure they are good for the atx connector on the MB.

If all checks out, you'll have to find some way to test the MB and PS individually. You could always buy a cheapy PS locally and try it out against the MB.

I had a similar problem. Root cause ended up being bad/incompatible memory. Try starting it without the memory and see if you get the POST.

When you installed the motherboard, did you use the spacers? If not, you may have shorted out the MB.

There may also be the possi ility the MB cracked during the plugging in of cables.

Good luck.

<I>The AMD compatible MB's I have don't use or even have a place to plugin the 4 pin connector</i><P>All the MSI / Nforce2 based boards I've put together (over 20) required the additional 4pin connector to POST. If the MB has the connector, it needs it for a reason.

Everyone here has given good advice. Make sure if you have to memory modules to try each one independantly. Also this particular motherboard has a FSB jumper so make sure that is set properly.

Matt

I would make sure the motherboard is only screwed to the case (with metal screws) in holes that that have metal plating around them. There are usually holes in the motherboard that do not have plating around them that are only set up for plastic standoffs. I've seen cases where something on the motherboard was shorting to ground via one of the screws.

One thing to try, as Scott suggested, is to just run the motherboard out of the case on a non-conductive surface. If it works then, chances are something is shorting in the way it was mounted in the case.

On three of the old emachines not on UPS's here; a AC power failure here at the plant will "hang" the computer(s) power supply sometimes. No amount of ON/OFF hold; hold for 15 seconds; push; sequence will restart the boxes. Unplugging the AC cord; waiting 15 seconds; replugging the cord; Always allows a restart/reboot. These supplies hang up when certain types of AC power offs and gliches occur; and just unplugging the cord resets the unit. The normal hold down the ON/OFF button doesnt work on these 3 boxes we have at all. A local computer "expert" said the power supply is bad; and first sold us a new supply; that does the same damn thing. The local office box store was replacing a mess of emachine power supplies two years ago; when the weather was causeing alot of AC power outages. Customers were retrurning their computers; because they wouldnt start. They would start when brought to the store; since the AC cord was removed.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Latter today when my daughter is napping I'll try them, including taking the MB out and trying to power it up.

I'm also suspicious about my memory. It's pc133 but it the super cheap stuff from Fry's. I've only run it at 66 and 100 so it possible that it doesn't like 133. One time I overclocked my old system to 133 (trying to get 650 from a celeron 300A) and the system would not post. I thought it was the video card, but now I'm not so sure.

I'll report back when I have more data. Thanks!

Hi Jeff

I'm sure I had this exact same problem before - PS starts up, hear the fans - then all goes dead.

I remember that this was after trying to upgrade with a new motherboard and CPU which I bought used on Ebay. I don't remember the exact chain of events but definately ended up buying a new case (and therefore PS) and a new CPU. I'm pretty sure I tried the new case first because I wasn't sure if my old power supply was AMD rated, then fixed it buy buying a new CPU.

This may be unreleated, and my CPU may have been cooked by the many hours of troubleshooting, but it's worth a go.

I think I still have the CPU that I bought to fix the problem - it was a Duron 900Mhz and I have since upgraded. I would be happy to give you CPU free of charge to help in the troubeshooting, but I think shipping from the U.K. would be more than it's worth.

Best of luck.

Hi Jeff,

Scott, this is a VIA chipset mobo but it makes no difference, the 4pin 12V power cable is needed to supply the CPU AFAIK.

Jeff, this is an entry level "combo" mobo and you need to confirm that your SDRAM is in the right sockets and that it's good and compatable with this mobo. These boards had problems with many different brands of SDRAM sticks. I bought 6 to use in retro-upgrades for low-end public access locations and had to send them back because of the SDRAM problems. As cheap as the mobos were I was not going to save any money due to the support problems I had with these mobos.

If you cannot get it to come up with known good DDR sticks after resetting the CMOS using the mobo jumper I'd send back the mobo and SDRAM to buy a mainstream mobo and DDR memory. Chances are your PS is okay based on what you are telling us. The problem is on the mobo very likely the SDRAM issues.

HTH

If you can't get it to work, I'm *begging* you to get the Nforce2 based MSI or Asus that has integrated GeForce4. I've built 10 MSI based with Athlon 2000/2500's, they are the best motherboard I've ever used and get giggles from my CAD guys because they are so bloody fast. I know one person with the dual DDR/SDR MSI and they had trouble with finding RAM to work with it as well.

I've had no problems with any DDR based Nforce2 boards.

Scott, I have a Barton 2500 underclocked because its on a Soyo Kt333 board that won't support the 166 speed. Do the MSI boards include a Lan built in? How about the built in G-force? I currently have a nice little ATI 9600 pro all in wonder that works well? The system uses DDR 2700 and works great, but I'm finding I could actually use a little more speed in certain functions of PS. Would the MSI fit that bill? or the Asus?