battery powered HD with an internal flash reader that will offload

the pictures and store them so I could use the fcard again while in

the field, but I have no idea what he is referring to and with the

10D I have had no success simply copying the data off as a RAW file,

even to the HD in my desktop. Any help or suggestions would be

greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Norman

Your Nikon-shooting friend might mean the XS-drive or Image Tank. Perhaps you could ask him.

I don't recommend those, myself. I prefer to bring a laptop along, stick my CF card into a PCMCIA adapter, and copy the files to my hard-drive. That way I can develop in CaptureOne while I'm on the road, and also burn daily backup CDs in case my camera or laptop break or are stolen. Yes, I keep my backup CDs separate from the camera and laptop to keep 'em safe.

What's going wrong when you have "no success simply copying the data off as a RAW file, even to the HD in my desktop"? Could you be more specificabout what you're trying to do & what's failing?

N.Perkel wrote: "I am copying the file data across in Windows Explorer. When I try to convert the images using the Canon untility it says there is no file data present."

Strange. A few questions:

* Are you putting the card in an external usb/firewire reader, which shows up as a virtual "D:", "E:", or higher, drive on your computer?

* After the copy completes, can you see the .CRW files in the destination directory using Windows Explorer? Are they the same size as Windows Explorer reports for the files on the card?

* Try downloading the latest copy of IrfanView (www.irfanview.com), which I believe recognizes .CRW files. Can it view the files OK?

Other than those ideas, I'm at a loss why the Canon FVU would have a problem decoding the .CRW files you've copied.

Mr. Zapped,

* Are you putting the card in an external usb/firewire reader, which shows up as a virtual "D:", "E:", or higher, drive on your computer?

Answer: Yes. I am using an exernal reader and it shows as (F:)

* After the copy completes, can you see the .CRW files in the destination directory using Windows Explorer? Are they the same size as Windows Explorer reports for the files on the card?

Answer: Yes.

* Try downloading the latest copy of IrfanView (www.irfanview.com), which I believe recognizes .CRW files. Can it view the files OK?

Answer: Yes. That worked. Thanks I also installed PS-CS. I

was using PS7 and that wouldn't show the files at all.

Other than those ideas, I'm at a loss why the Canon FVU would have a problem decoding the .CRW files you've copied.

I really don't know why it wasn't working either, but it's working fine now. I will bring a disc into the office tomorrow and see if the .CRW's I burn can be seen as well. Thansk again. -N

• 4 weeks later...
for a variety of digital storage devices, fo to www.mydigitaldiscount.com, I got an Image Tank G1.5 for $195 shipped, including a cool wall plug jobber that the any cigarette lighter plug fits into, so I can use it to charge my camera batts also