HELP needed! Safest way to transfer RAW files

Hi all,

I have 6 days worth of RAW files to transfer from one hard drive to another. In the past I have been told the only safe way to transfer RAW files is by downloading the photos direct via the camera's transfer cable.

I would prefer to copy and paste them from one hard drive to another. Is that safe?

Hard drive I am transferring from is a Samsung 2TB USB powered hard drive

Its potential destination drive is a Lacie 4TB AC powered hard drive.

PS: I do have card readers though I have been told this is not safe to download photos.

By no means an expert, but when transferring or copying files between media, I err on the side of caution. My PC has a built-in card reader,

so I take the SD card from the camera, set write-protect (in case of corruption) then use Explorer to copy the files to the hard drive. If I want

the files on another hard drive (say as backup), I then use Explorer to copy the files from the first hard drive to the second hard drive.

So far, I have had no problems - I offer this as a potential solution. The issue which concerns me about using the transfer cable is that

if the power in the camera dies (say battery runs down), then there is a possibility that files on the hard drive may be corrupted, and what

is worse, the files on the SD card may also become corrupted.

HTH

Both methods, cable or card reader, are safe ways to transfer files from one place to another, or copy and paste. Just make sure to use the "copy" or "copy to" option, and not the "move to" option. Sometimes when using the "move to" option, you can mistakenly move your files to the wrong place, and may have trouble finding them again. And don't erase your camera's memory card until you're sure that your files are where you wanted them.

By no means an expert, but when transferring or copying files between media, I err on the side of caution. My PC has a built-in card reader,

so I take the SD card from the camera, set write-protect (in case of corruption) then use Explorer to copy the files to the hard drive. If I want

the files on another hard drive (say as backup), I then use Explorer to copy the files from the first hard drive to the second hard drive.

So far, I have had no problems - I offer this as a potential solution. The issue which concerns me about using the transfer cable is that

if the power in the camera dies (say battery runs down), then there is a possibility that files on the hard drive may be corrupted, and what

is worse, the files on the SD card may also become corrupted.

HTH

Both methods, cable or card reader, are safe ways to transfer files from one place to another, or copy and paste. Just make sure to use the "copy" or "copy to" option, and not the "move to" option. Sometimes when using the "move to" option, you can mistakenly move your files to the wrong place, and may have trouble finding them again. And don't erase your camera's memory card until you're sure that your files are where you wanted them.

Thanks Tony/Nail,

FYI - I am using a mac to do this.

So it is not safe to copy a set of files from one hard drive to another?

Your feel it is perfectly safe to drag and drop RAW files from the memory card in question to the hard drive?

I back these up onto 3 hard drives. 2 portable, one stationary.

Tony, when you say explorer? Is that a program?

I've copied RAW files with no problem using all the methods I've used for non-photo files: drag-and-drop within Finder (mac) or Explorer (PC) from computer to external, external to external, computer to computer over wi-fi, external to external over wi-fi, card to computer, card to external, and even from computer to card in one convoluted case. I've never had a problem with corrupted files, but if you're concerned, I think there are some copy verification apps out there that you could use to check the copy integrity. If I'm down-loading from the camera, I use a card reader (I download daily, then when the card is >1/2 full I download the entire card to a backup hard-drive and format the card, usually about once a week).

The procedure is the same with a Mac or PC. Connect the drive(s) to the same computer and use one of several accepted methods for copying files. You can select, drag-and-drop, or copy and past. The key command for copy is ctl-C or command-C, and for paste, ctl-V or command-V. A Move function is similar, except the source files are automatically erased. This is risky should the operation encounter an error. It's better to copy then delete manually (unless you wish to keep the original files).

Moving files within the same disk is different. The address of the data object is updated. No actual data is transferred nor deleted.

Copying data is safe, and subject to internal verification. In general, the only problems occur if the connection or power is disrupted. It is better to use a card reader than a connection to the camera. A card reader is usually much faster, and the O/S can see all the directories at once. The camera can only recognize the current directory, even other directories are on the card. For example, a new directory is created in the camera when the old directory is filled (the image number rolls over).

The procedure is the same with a Mac or PC. Connect the drive(s) to the same computer and use one of several accepted methods for copying files. You can select, drag-and-drop, or copy and past. The key command for copy is ctl-C or command-C, and for paste, ctl-V or command-V. A Move function is similar, except the source files are automatically erased. This is risky should the operation encounter an error. It's better to copy then delete manually (unless you wish to keep the original files).

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your reply.

In the case of downloading from a card to computer it is safe to reuse the card in the camera after formatting?

Moving files within the same disk is different. The address of the data object is updated. No actual data is transferred nor deleted.

Copying data is safe, and subject to internal verification. In general, the only problems occur if the connection or power is disrupted. It is better to use a card reader than a connection to the camera. A card reader is usually much faster, and the O/S can see all the directories at once. The camera can only recognize the current directory, even other directories are on the card. For example, a new directory is created in the camera when the old directory is filled (the image number rolls over).

So it is safe to drag and drop files from a memory card then reuse in the camera?

I've copied RAW files with no problem using all the methods I've used for non-photo files: drag-and-drop within Finder (mac) or Explorer (PC) from computer to external, external to external, computer to computer over wi-fi, external to external over wi-fi, card to computer, card to external, and even from computer to card in one convoluted case. I've never had a problem with corrupted files, but if you're concerned, I think there are some copy verification apps out there that you could use to check the copy integrity. If I'm down-loading from the camera, I use a card reader (I download daily, then when the card is >1/2 full I download the entire card to a backup hard-drive and format the card, usually about once a week).

I found this link on Canon's website so I think this clears it up: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/image_download/transfering_image_files.do

Drang and drop is as safe as any other method. However I wouldn't reformat the memory card until the files were backed up to two locations, preferably to an optical disk (which can't be accidentally erased). Please not that drag and drop is an alternate form of copy and paste, and does not clear the source. You have to do that in a separate operation, e.g., FORMAT.

Also note that deleting files does not restore space as effectively as reformatting. It can also lead to fragmentation, and slow down the card.

There's no real advantage using proprietary Canon, Nikon or other software to transfer files. In fact, you may lose control over their exact destination. Proprietary software may be better at translating in-camera settings in the conversion, but little else. Adobe Camera Raw is free, and can display or convert RAW files from nearly any camera.

Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 1

What Ed suggests. Drag and drop is just fine. Never format the card until you verify the data is good. That's one nice attribute of converting to DNG; it does a checksum on the data (and will continue to do so within Lightroom if that's a product you use).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

If your software, such as an older version of Lightroom, doesn't have the latest ACR version embedded, convert to DNG but keep the original too. That gives you most of the advantage of a RAW image with the option to use the original when you update your programs. Direct use of Hasselblad FFF raw files was a long time coming, so I converted to DNG rather than use Hasselblad PHOCUS, which is has native powers but otherwise rather kludgy. It takes extra disk space, but disk space is cheap these days.
  • Like 1

As a Nikon user, Nikon supply with their cameras a proprietory progam called View NXi. This has a transfer sub-program which can transfer RAW NEF images directly to two external hard drives from either the camera or a card reader.

I can only assume that other top line camera manufacturers would produce a similar software package.

Just a thought.

As a Nikon user, Nikon supply with their cameras a proprietory progam called View NXi. This has a transfer sub-program which can transfer RAW NEF images directly to two external hard drives from either the camera or a card reader.

I can only assume that other top line camera manufacturers would produce a similar software package.

Just a thought.

Lightroom has such a provision to import (and optimally convert to DNG) AND save the proprietary raws to a secondary drive; two different locations.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I'm kinda of confused by the OP.

Hi all, I have 6 days worth of RAW files to transfer from one hard drive to another.

• In the past I have been told the only safe way to transfer RAW files is by downloading the photos direct via the camera's transfer cable. I would prefer to copy and paste them from one hard drive to another. Is that safe?

•  
  • Hard drive I am transferring from is a Samsung 2TB USB powered hard drive Its potential destination drive is a Lacie 4TB AC powered hard drive.
  • PS: I do have card readers though I have been told this is not safe to download photos

From the OP, its appears the OP has two external hard drives connected to their computer. From the first sentence, it appears the OP has 6 days of raw files to transfer from one drive to another drive.

- How does a card reader or dongle even come into play?

- If the files are already on the hard drive, that means they have been transferred from the camera (where I would understant carders and dongles would into the conversation).

- If the files are already on one hard drive, the OP should be able to just drag the files from one drive to another, using which every file explorer they choose (Windows Explorer, Bridge, or whatever way LR uses)

I'm basically confused about talk of card readers with the files are already on the hard drive.

On any sizable copy, where you aren't going to be able to check the individual files visually, use a copy utility that will do a checksum on the original and on the copy. It's the only way you can be sure that there aren't any errors on the copy.

I've had everything from bad RAM (the computer was working otherwise - after the copy errors I did an extensive memory test), a slightly-malfunctioning card reader, failing SD cards, and simple "somehow this bit of data was read wrong" errors cause problems on copies - especially large ones. The more data you're reading and writing, the higher the chance of an error.

Not sure what I'd recommend on a Mac - Tercaopy will do it on Windows. But I'd consider it a "best practice" when moving any archive.