Help needed in nyc

Discussion in 'Canon FD' started by johnny_tsang, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Does anyone know of any repair shops that can repair a 1971 Canon F1? I tried Nippon and the said it was too old and they no longer touch the F1 from 71. They then gave me a number to Photo Tech and they too don't handle the F1 anymore. So does anyone know of any place in nyc that might be able to fix it up?

2. whoa...Nippon was always the place to go for old cam repair. sorry, can't help.....Nippon is actually the place I would have recommended.

3. Essex Camera <http://essexcamera.com/> across the river in NJ repaired my F-1N about 2 years ago. I was very happy with the results and intend on sending another, soon.

4. I've never used them personally but a couple of people here have:
    Chrysler Camera Repair Service
    367 W 34th St
    2nd Floor
    (between 8th & 9th Aves)
    New York, NY 10001
    (212) 682-3547
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

5. FWIW, Chrysler was who B&H recommended to me when I asked about work on an old Takumar SMC 28mm. However that could be because they are right next door to B&H.

6. awahlster

awahlster Moderator

Well if Henry/B&H Photo-Video is recomemding the shop next door one would have to think that they know who they are recomemding.

7. I tried Nippon and the said it was too old and they no longer touch the F1 from 71. They then gave me a number to Photo Tech and they too don't handle the F1 anymore.​
    Really? What kind of reason is "too old"? I never had problems having my mechanical Canons or Leicas repaired.

8. Maybe Nippon doesn't stock or are able to obtain the older parts, or get enough of the older f-1s coming in for service to make it economically viable. But you could call and ask them, i'm just guessing.