Help my computer won't read my memory card

samantha_smith5

I have a SanDisk ultra II 8.0GB memory card that I use in my Canon 30D. In the past I have never had a problem

downloading my pictures from my camera when connected with the USB cable. My computer is unable to connect

with my camera to pull up the images on my memory card. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling my software for my

camera and still had no luck. However I am able to download pictures from my other memory card which is a sandisk

4.0GB and had no problems what so ever. So my question is why won't my computer read my memory card all of a

sudden and is there anyway I can get my pictures off my 8.0GB memory card?

Thanks

My first card reader is an external card reader that connects to an external usb port, I have no problem with it, And then I decided to install an internal card reader that connects to the pc's internal usb connectors, I got an erratic problems, Sometimes the card reader would read and other times not, I checked to make sure I didnt make a wrong connction , and I didnt. So I went back to the store and have it replaced, Same problem. So now I'm back with an external type of card reader, No problem occurs.

Except that she wrote that her other cards download just fine. That means that there's a problem with your CF card. Are you able to view the images on the LCD of your camera? Are you getting a CF card Err message? Have you attempted to use a card reader rather than linking the camera via USB?

In the event you are unable to retrieve the images on your 8GB card, most pro camera shops and CF card manufacturers offer data recovery services... for a price. I had an 8GB Dane Elec card go south on me last year, they attempted to recover the data but were unsuccessful and I lost approximately 140 photographs. Many people have the same story in this digital age.

The fact that you can read other cards, but now not this one points to the card being the problem. That being said, I would still try the card

reader. It could be that whatever glitch is affecting the card could be causing the camera software to not be able to download the files.

However, maybe you computer's OS can still read and download the files (via card reader). If that works, then reformat the card.

However, don't use or reformat the card until you get this resolved. If downloading the files by card reader doesn't work, then it's time for

data rescue software, which will likely require the use of a card reader anyways.