Help - my 40D won't download photos to my Mac...

emma_millen

My MAC doesn't seem to recognise my Canon 40D and so I can't download any photos. It used to

work fine through Bridge and the EOS Utility software that I have installed but has suddenly

stopped working. When I open the photo downloader in Bridge it says "get photos from" and then it

says "none detected" when I open the EOS Utility it doesn't give me the option to download the

images. My camera says BUSY on the screen on top of the camera when I first plug it in to the

computer but after about 10 seconds it goes back to the normal display and doesn't download

anything. I'm not sure if it is a camera problem, lead problem (both are new) or MAC problem. Any

help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Card reader dude.

Also, you need to practice regular disk maintenance--rebuild permissions, rebuild

directory with Disk Warrior, toss corrupt preferences, etc.--or you've cruising for bruising. I do it at least once a month and never have problems. My sister never does

it and I have to recover her HD every year or two...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

A card reader should speed things up a bit, generally speaking.

But to understand perhaps what's going when you plug in your camera, launch

Image Capture (no need to connect your camera). A window should pop up: "No

Image Capture device connected." Open the application's preferences

(Command-comma) and see what is selected under "Camera: When a camera is

connected, open:". Here you should be able to set the application of choice

(Bridge, iPhoto, Lightroom, etc.)

You don't need the EOS utility at all.

Jon's answer is the right one. This is exactly the problem people have been having

with the 5D and Canon's software on Leopard (OS X 10.5, as shipped with any

recent Mac).

<p>

The advice top get a card reader may be appropriate for PC users, but not for the

typical amateur photographer using a Mac, since OS X comes with software

("Image Capture", as already mentioned) to upload images from Canon cameras and

many or most of the card readers around are not up to the quality and reliability

standards expected by Mac users. Yes, uploading via a USB cable slower, but you can leave it

and go cook

dinner.

<p>

You should get it working with the USB port. If it is faulty, one probable cause would

be a cracked circuit board. You want to track that down now, not after the warranty

expires.

<p>

Puppy Face wrote:

<p>

<i>you need to practice regular disk maintenance--rebuild permissions, rebuild

directory with Disk Warrior, toss corrupt preferences, etc.--or you've cruising for

bruising.</i>

<p>

None of this is necessary, especially "rebuild permissions".

I should add that I am guessing here that "EOS Utility" is somehow screwing things up

for Adobe's software (which works for the 5D - I use it), and that after using Jon's

method to take control away from it you might need to reboot.

If "EOS Utility" is really badly behaved you might need to do more to disable it - ask again here.

• 5 years later...
<p>I have had the problem others have described where my Canon EOS40D has difficulty communicating with iPhoto. I set it up as I always have, the way it has worked very well in the past, the camera flashes “busy,” but no photos appear in iPhoto. <br /><br />Here is a solution that has worked for me. Please, don’t take offense at the simplicity of this. I noticed that my camera battery was low. I put a recharged battery into the camera, and the photos flowed fast and without a glitch, to iPhoto. I hope this saves someone else from wasting a lot of time and getting increasingly frustrated, fussing with many high tech solutions.</p>