see i dont have money currently enough for both a nikon f80 and a

good lens. i have read that nikon lenses can be used on both the

manual as well as autofocus cameras. now i am in a dialemma. what i

have decided is to go currently with a good quality nikon lens and a

really cheaap manual body as i will require it anyways for

astrophotography. even the fm10 seems to be out of budget. pl help

me whether any cosina camera or vivitar has a nikon mount. i also

read that the fm10 is produced by cosina only so i dont want to lose

the money just for the nikon brand name.

pl consider this a special case (though a wierd one) and help me.

thaks

I don't think there's anything available new that will take a Nikon lens that doesn't say 'Nikon' on it. The FM-10 and FE-10 are indeed made by Cosina, and get mixed reviews (I haven't used either). Nikon has a rich (and confusing) inventory of used gear, try surfing at <a href="http://www.keh.com">www.keh.com</a>. You can find an FG or a Nikkormat for about $100 most of the time there. If you need a quick (opinionated) overvew of the old models, try Stephen Gandy's site at: <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm">http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm</a>

Autofocus and Autoexposure are NOT needed for Astrophotography, but TRUE Mirror Lock up IS. If you plan on mounting it on a Telescope, What I would get for astrophotography, if I were on a tight budget, is a separate, dedicated camera body for that purpose. It need not be a Nikon, since these bodies will hook up to a telescope, or a mirror lens with a t-mount adapter. It just needs to have Mirror lock up, and a working shutter. I would surf ebay for a manual camera with Mirror Lock up and a broken light meter. You should be able to find a Canon FTb, Minolta SRT-101, Pentax Spotmatic, or Nikkormat FTn body with a broken meter, but otherwise functional, for no more than $50 without a lens. Those would make the perfect Astrophotography bodies. But they are all big, heavy, old cameras that won't otherwise meet your needs. Olympus OM-1 cameras are even better, but they cost more.

Astrophotography means extremely long exposures. An all mechanical camera that doesn't require batteries can work very well. I second the FM option or a Nikkormat FT3. Prior to the FT3, there was the FT2 but then you are dealing with non-AI lens requirements. Hopefully the FM or FT3 is within your budget. They can't be all that expensive nowadays anyway.

The Nikon FG is your answer!!!

A much overlooked Nikon. very cheap. They are the smallest of

the Nikons, (along with FG-20 and EM) and have P,A,M modes. B

for astro. that doesnt use batteries.

Witn a 50mm they make a great discreet street/travel camera,

and even when i got pro AF bodies i still keep and use my FG.

So it is an excellent cheap start to the Nikon system. Find them

for a song on eBay.

Any of the Nikkormat series cameras except the EL will be ideally

suited for astrophotography, as will the FM or FM2(n). The

Nikkormats have the advantage of cheaper pricing and true mirror

lockup. But even without mirror lockup, you can use

the "hat trick" to eliminate both mirror and shutter

vibrations (cover the scope with a hat, open the

shutter, wait for vibrations to die, uncover the

scope, time the exposure, replace the hat, close

the shutter).

<p>

If you get a Nikkormat with a broken meter, you don't need

to worry about meter coupling -- it'll work equally well with

any Nikon F-mount lens ever made, from the earliest manual focus

to the newest autofocus. (except the new series G). If

you get a Nikkormat with a working meter, be aware of the

difference between AI and pre-AI meter coupling.

<p>

Keep your eyes open at garage sales, pawn shops, etc.

I recently saw a Nikkormat FT2 in a pawn shop, complete

with a 50mm f1.4 lens, for $125. It was a bit beat

up, but the meter and shutter were fine, as far as I could

tell.

Mirror lock-up is not required for astrophotography. I would recommend any inexpensive, mechanically shuttered Nikon with B (bulb) or T (time) settings. As most exposures are in seconds (moon images) to hours (star trails), you can manually time the exposure, by using your hat or dark card in front of, but not touching, the lens. (Shutter set on T and tripped prior to exposure.) As previously mentioned, there is no reason to buy any auto this, or auto that, for your type of work.

Alex

If interested I have a Nikkormat for sale. Let me know if your interested. It was on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=800124846&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAS:US:3

Nikkormatt EL w/ 50 mm 2.0 � excellent condition Nikkormat EL, 1972 The EL is the first Nikon that incorporated an electronically controlled vertical travel shutter. The shutter speed dial was moved to the camera top panel. Stepless shutter speeds from 4 sec to 1/1000 sec. Flash sync for electronic flash at all speeds up to 1/125 sec and for FP, M and MF type flashbulbs at all speeds from B to 1/1000 sec. Mirror Lock Up, Exposure (Memory) Lock, EV range EV1-EV18 (ASA 100), film speed from ASA 25-1600. TTL center weighted metering with manual exposure control. Produced in white/black chrome versions. Had this camera for 5 years and it continues to produce extremely excellent photo�s. The light meter is accurate and tested against my Nikon F100 & F3 with equal results. The Shutter has been tested 3 years ago and falls within factory spec�s. No Brassing or dents show. There are a few nicks on the face above �Nikomat� and a little scuffing near the support eyelet. The lens is clear, no scratches, scuffing, mold, or even a speck of dirt in or on the glass. Below are several URL�s for further info on the Nikkormat EL. http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society/cousins/cousins07-e.htm http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/elseries/index.htm http://www.mediajoy.com/en/cla_came/nikomatEL/

You might consider an Nikkormat FT3 (AI w/ SBC meter) or a Nikon FM (same). These both have mechanical shutters. The "B" setting and a locking cable release will do the job.

More money but likely perfect for your use would be a Nikon F2 with DW-2, 6x high magnification finder. It�s a beautiful finder. This might be something worth saving for.

Regards,