Help me switch to Nikon!

joseph_gledhill

I have been a Canon shooter all my life but am on the verge of switching to Nikon. Never shot Nikon before. The

100% viewfinder of the D300 and the new AF-S 50mm temp me (and maybe the 105mm VR). I am after a wider lens to

act as a "standard" lens. I was considering the 35mm f/2 (compact and light) and 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5

(flexibility). I then noticed the new 16-85mm lens. I would mostly use these lenses up to 50mm then switch to

primes. The small apertures of the zooms are not an issue as I would stop down anyway. How do the three lenses

compare at 35mm? Is the sharpness of the two zooms similar to each other? If so, I may opt for the smaller and

lighter one. Many thanks.

Why in the world would you want to switch? What will Nikon gear give you that Canon does not - one thing is for sure, it will not make you a better photographer - if that is one of your intentions. Nikon and Canon are so close in image quality that it REALLY makes no differences. The new 5D MKII should be a better camera than the D300 - at least for the moment. The lenses are comparable as well - maybe with the exception of the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 (that lens is truely outstanding, Canon needs to do something in that area). Honestly, if you have an investment in Canon glass, don't switch - just get the new 5D MKII.

I got a great deal on a d700 and 24-70 2.8 and bought them. I am also a lifelong canon guy that was disappointed in the 1D3 (having had the two previous versions) and was waiting in vain for a new 5 series (as I had begun to shoot much more in the way of portraits)

While I do love the 700 and it suits my needs very well it will be for sale in mid november when the new 5 comes...

As the other guys said there is really not anything you'll get from the nikon that would couldn't get in canon (the af in the 300/700 is great but i for one shoot center point most of the time so it's not a big help)

Either way - good luck

JC

I'm switching too, after years of battling with crappy QC and AF issues. A shame, 'cos some of their lenses are sweet,

partticularly the 135mm f2. The 16-35 (both versions) aren't a patch on the 14-24mm though.

What's the point in having a great sensor when they can't make cameras that focus reliably, time after time? I got sick of

pictures where the camera locked onto the background even when focus point was over subject (5D, 1D mk II, 30D....)

I dunno! I am a Nikon shooter but I am not a Nikon lover or fan. I like taking pictures and I like cameras. So far I really like

how nikon cameras fit in my hands and they have great lenses and cameras, same as Canon. All that say, if one day

Canon has a camera that I really want or a lens, I just may buy a set. It doesn't mean I will switch. I would keep my Nikon

gear. So, If all you want is a 35 f2 (which is really nice) and a D300 (which is great), just buy it but you shouldn't get rid of your Canon gear,

if you can have the best of both worlds, why not? What about if next year Canon comes out with something better than Nikon and you

might wanna change again! Just my opinion!

If I had Canon gear and wanted a DX camera I would just buy the 40D and be happy with that. Nice camera and you do not need new flash gear, lenses and all the small things a lifetime of Canon usage has put in your camera bags. Logical to me but then I do not like shopping very much.

The 35 2.0 is a decent lens on a small sensor. People say the corners go soft on full frame and they switch to older manual focus lenses or opt for Zeiss lenses. I have no full frame Nikons or film Nikons to verify this.

The zooms have a lot of distortion which is bending of straight lines. The zooms get a complex type which is sort of an S curve or wave on the short ends. All the Nikkor primes under 35mm get simple curvature pretty badly except for the 28 2.8 AIs. All the rest bend lines to an unacceptable degree to me.

Ptlens program is used to straighten things out and it works well and is cheap.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Check out the tests. Based on my experience, they are accurate.

We will have to wait for a new 35 AI S to see what it is like. New AI S lenses are issued regularly lately. The new 50 AI S is out, but I have not seen tests or opinions. Based on other recently released primes, it will be a fine lens.

Full functionalality of non AI S will not be had with the D40/60 series cameras. This locks you out of the older used manual focus lenses if you want AF and metering.

My solution is the 12/24 Nikkor for wide, then I use zooms for when things need be done fast or I travel light. I also have primes 24 and longer. So far my feelings are mixed between prime and zoom. I have done some excellent pics with the 18/70, 18/135, 55/200 VR. The later two are not made particularly well, but the optics are fine.

I use Nikon equipment because that's what I started with back in the 1960's and all my lenses still work on my Nikon DSLRs'. However, another reason is that Sigma EX lenses appear to work better with Nikon DSLRs. I see a lot of posts from Canon users complaining about compatibility problems. Neither Nikon or Canon makes a 300-800 F5.6, 120-300 F2.8, or 50-150 F2.8 lenses. I own them all and they work great with my Nikon's.

Wow, I did not expect to be greated with such opposition to switching brands! I do not have any Canon gear so am starting from scratch again after a break. If I could afford a 5D mark II I would buy one but I cannot. Prices in the UK are much more expensive. So my options are the next cameras down. The 40D/50D cameras do not have 100% viewfinders which is important for me - the D300 does. Anything less than 100% is an issue for me. I want a reliable, affordable and modern 50mm prime. Nikon has just produced one. Canon has an old version with micro USM that shakes and is not too reliable. I do not worship either company just want a set up that I am comfortable with. If I could get those features with Canon I would stay with them as I am familiar with their products but Nikon seems to have got peoples attention in recent years.

Joseph,

I think folks were assuming that you were going to be orphaning some perfectly good equipment. In spite of the occasional flame wars you will find that most people both love the system they have and wouldn't recommend switching to it if you're invested in another system - potayto, potahto.

The 35mm f2.0 is a nice standard lens. The 12-24 f4 DX zoom is very nice as well, though it doesn't take you quite to normal. I dislike variable aperture zooms because I feel it takes control away from me, but that's just a personal preference. I am currently working with the 12-24mm, the 35mm, and the 85mm f1.8 - I'll be adding a 50mm soon, and something longer after that.

As to how the 3 lenses you mentioned compare, since the 35mm is in the middle of their range there may not be much difference, but if you go here (http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests) you will find a wide range of lenses tested on DX cameras, so you can judge for yourself.

What exactly do you need the 100% viewfinder for? Any of these cameras has enough megapixels for you to just zoom out a little. If you were doing copy work or slide copying then the 100% viewfinder would be more important. I don't think that my Canon F-1s even have 100% viewfinders.

>> "The new 5D MKII should be a better camera than the D300"

That's not necessarily true in every way. The D300 is faster (almost top of the line sports camera fast with the MB-D10), has 100% viewfinder coverage, uses older lenses from the pre-AF era, has a 51 point pro-grade (same as the one in the D3), and more direct controls.

The 5D Mark 2 has a lot more pixles for enlargements and cropping, would allow shallower DOF control due to its larger sensor, and has less noise despite its high pixle count (although the D300 is very good with noise too).

The 5D Mark 2 seems to be an excellent camera for studio/portrait and landscape photographers; while the D300 is a choice with better value for general shooting.

There are controls in Top-of-the-line Nikon's that let you switch around some of the controls to Canon-controls. Whereas Nikon's EV-comp goes counterintuitive there is a customsetting that let's you set this the other way round. THis should make the transition easier on you.

Since you do not own any gear I can understand you want to good with the best you can afford and swith brands. Crossing over while invested is indeed a bad idea, since you do not have any gear left,....

I would also very much recommend buying Thom Hogan's guide to the D300. Extensive but way better then the manual. www.bythom.com

To answer your question, the 35mm prime will provide the best IQ but with the zooms mentioned the relatively new 16-85mm is the better lens and this is reflected in the price. All three lenses come with a 5-year warranty which is something that Canon would provide if its QC was not so poor.

The zoom range of the 16-85 is excellent without being excessive and hindering IQ. The pro zooms are in the 1:2 and 1:3 zoom range as there are more IQ sacrifices necessary beyond that point as with the consumer 1:10 zoom lenses.

A nice feature available with the Nikon D300 that is missing from the Canon cameras is the internal Commander flash that can be used to trigger a off-camera flash like the SB600 without need for a sync cord. Great for both general people and travel photography.

I have owned and used Canon and Nikon cameras and both systems have their advantages and disadvantages but I know in terms of reliability and durability the Nikon gear is significantly better. Read the posts on Canon about user problems with various cameras, lenses, and strobes, that have malfunctioned, or been repaired multiple times by Canon, or having to buy 3 or more copies of a lens to get a good one, and this aspect becomes quite obvious.

Well since you are starting from scratch and you like the D300 and it's viewfinder then purchase that one. It's a great camera to own. The 50mm f1.8D lens is very nice expecially for the price. Some folks want a heavy construction and some do not care. I appreciate the light weight sometimes especially when I carry the camera all day. I was not aware that there is now a 50mm AF-S lens. That should be welcome with the D60 owners.