Help me switch to digital!!!

sharon_bertke

Hi,

I have been using my film Pentax ZX-7 with a Promaster 28-200 zoom lens for the

last 6yrs and I really love this camera. (Never use the manual settings though.)

Great quality photo's and would not be happy with any less of a zoom than I have

now. I have children just getting into sports and am using my camera less and

less, because of the inability of viewing my pics. I feel like I am missing out on so

many memories because of this.

I've been putting off buying a new camera only because I'm not good at

researching things and I'm just now learning how to use the internet (which I'm still

struggling with. Consuming so much of my time.) I just hope I can get this

question sent properly and hope I can figure out how to retrieve an answer - where

to go to get it.

Will someone please tell me if my l can use my current lens and what D-SLR

body to purchase. I would greatly appreciate any input!! Thank you so much!

Sharon B.

You will have no problem using your 28-200mm zoom on a new digital SLR. If you

are used to the scene modes of the ZX-7 (which I never use), then a K200 will

probably be most comfortable to you. You will notice that the digital SLRs have a

sensor that is smaller than a 35mm frame of film, so the field of view will be cropped

so that your 28-200mm will look like a 42-300mm. For sports that is good, but if you

use the wide end of the lens much, you might miss being able to squeeze

everything in like before. For $100 or less, getting the 18-55mm 'kit' lens may be

worth while as 18mm on digital will look similar to 28mm on film. Perhaps replacing

the 28-200mm with the 18-250mm down the road can save you some lens swapping.

Of course, if you want to spend a little more money there are quite a few other lens

options available too. You can gain some image quality and lower light capabilities

by going with some glass that has a shorter zoom range.

I think a K200d would be good, although if you can find a k100d for cheaper, or even a k110d, it might do you just as well. I have a K100d, and I do find most of the preset modes (portrait, action, landscape) to be useful at times. I would definitely get the lens that often comes with the camera, the 18-55mm Matthew mentioned; it is a great little zoom lens with decent wide angle coverage. Between that and the zoom lens you have, you should be set for most general shooting.

I have really enjoyed the immediate access to pictures that comes with a DSLR - good luck!

I agree with Matthew and Nick. The K100D may actually be your best bet, and there are a few new ones left. I also use that model and like it very much. Don't be fooled by having "only" 6 mp. There is no advantage to having more unless making a really huge blowup. This camera can produce outstanding photo quality. Most likely you'll be shooting mostly easy to deal with JPEG images, and these straight out of the camera, with no fussing with the images, are exceptionally great from the K100D.

The Super version is the same camera with anti-dust technology added to the sensor, and also an upgrade to full function with the latest high-end lenses having their own motor.

Last time I checked, Tristate camera, a store in NYC, still had some in stock. (tristatecamera.com) Commonly, stores will try to sell a 3rd party extra long warranty, but I question its value. I have all my servicing done by Pentax. A skylight filter for your lens is not a bad idea though.

What modes do you use? Sometimes the manual mode is best in tricky lighting.

Also, don't discard your ZX-7. It is a nice little camera, indeed. When you intend to make a lot of print copies of all your photos, film is often more convenient and less expensive to deal with.

Yup, when I shoot film, I usually use a ZX-7. They are nice to have around.

I also agree that if you can find a K100 (or its Samsung equivalent), you'll probably

be just as happy, although if you are getting into sports the faster frame rate of the

K200 could be an advantage...

Don't let megapixels determine which camera you get. Especially with a super-

zoom (28-200, 28-300, 18-250, etc.) and the kit lens, you really won't notice an

image quality difference. You will just make bigger files that take up more card and

hard drive space.

I have a K10D and just bought a K100D Super w/kit lens and 2 year extended Pentax warranty for $499. *I* would get a K100 now and consider the K200 after the price drops. The K100 is compact, light and quite capable. It is plenty of camera to get started in digital. Do not waste money on a Mack extended warranty.