Help me. I'm about to sell my MP for an M6...should I?

I bought an almost MINT MP from Tamarkin almost 2 years ago for about $2200.

It's gorgeous, beautiful, smooth, silky, yadda yadda. I love it. However, I

find myself, one, thinking that was a lot of money for a camera body, and two, I

often am nervous taking out such an expensive camera to shoot in the old "other

side of the tracks" industrial and seedier street areas that I like to shoot. I

also find myself worrying about getting it all dinged up though if I keep it I

imagine it will one day be worn, brassed and really worked in. As long as it

works I could not care less for the look really, I am careful though with such a

pristine body.

So a few months ago it got me thinking: Although the MP is one awesome camera

many people (especially those who have an M6) say the MP is nothing but an

over-priced, slightly better built M6. Others (especially those who have an MP)

say the MP is better built (worth the price difference) and smoother-working

than an M6 and also has higher quality interior parts. Not having used an M6

much I wonder.

Today at a local camera store (respectable, old school-type) I came across a

user-condition classic 0.72 black-body M6 with VG+ 50/2 type 2 rigid Summicron

for $1499 USD. The lens being worth about $400-500 or so this makes the M6

about $1000-1100. The M6 seems in good shape mechanically, it has been "looked

over" by one of the two store's buyers, and the place has a good reputation

locally. It is slightly brassed on the corners but otherwise looks and feels

pretty good. Other than the different film advance lever I'd even say it felt

very much like my MP in terms of film advance smoothness, shutter sound, etc.

Should I do it? Should I get this decent user M6 (which I'll likely use more and

worry less about) and sell off my MP (which I should be able to get close to

$2000)? Thoughts?

And if perhaps I should do it is this a decent price for a classic M6 in such

condition?

<< ... which I'll likely use more and worry less about ... >>

I'd say that's key, Rich. If the MP is supposed to be a user and you're treating it as a collector's item instead, well .....

Nothing against collecting or collectors, but you're in the best position to determine what you want from the cameras you have.

I have an M6, and I've held and played with an MP (but in fairness, only briefly), and other than the finder upgrade, I'd be hard-pressed to identify any *functional* difference between them. Can you take the M6 out for roll and see if the differences are meaningful to you ?

Rich, If the value and the condition of the MP is such that you are reluctant to take it out and

use it in the way you want, then, by all means, sell it and get the M6. You may have remorse,

but you will still have a Leica. Personally, although the MP has a slightly brighter viewfinder

and a rangefinder that does not flare, I much prefer the rewind crank of the M6 to the knob

of the MP which I find "fiddly". I keep my MP because it has the .58 vf.

To answer your question, I would "trade down." The MP is gorgeous, gorgeous machinery, but the M6 is hardly a slouch either. It's still plenty nice. I also wanted to comment on this:

<p>

><i>and two, I often am nervous taking out such an expensive camera to shoot in the old "other side of the tracks" industrial and seedier street areas that I like to shoot</i>

<p>

You should take out a personal articles insurance policy for your equipment. It doesn't cost a lot, can be applied to either renter's or homeowner's insurance, and will go a long way toward laying these types of worries to rest. I get mine through state farm (note: I am otherwise not affiliated with state farm in any way).

I've checked out the MP's at Tamarkin a couple of times thinking that I absolutely needed one but the price always brought me back to my senses. I eventually decided to go for two M6's instead, one for BW and one for color. They are perfectly fine, workhorse cameras, and I have two for the price of one.

I have an M6 and am happy with it, but if I already had a MP I wouldn't think of trading down. The MP (particularly the older ones) has a better VF/RF system in addition to other superior build qualities. The only reason I haven't traded up to one is the lack of wherewithall. If you want the M6 then scrimp and buy it, but by all means hang onto the MP or you'll be sorry!

Wonderful.

Arguments that make sense from both sides. Sigh.....

Ok, what if someone offered you an almost new chrome M6, a 50DR in good shape, a 90 Summicron and $400 USD for your MP?

(thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and share your thoughts...)

okay, I got to say, the MP is not going to look any different to a street thug than an M6, so pay like $25 and get the aforementioned insurance, and if you are mugged in the seedy part of town, just smile and hand it over. the M6 especially a chrome M6 is not going to attract any less or more attention, either. Second, isn't the whole point of spending the extra money to buy a rugged camera that you can use it in such situations. Just use the thing, otherwise someone else is going to. The only benefit i see to trading is if you get an M6 and some lenses in the process that you might like to use, or if you could use some extra money elsewhere. Not to mention, i personally think a well worn Leica would have more character than a shiny new one. On that same note, I have a question I will post here and then repost on its own if I can't get an answer. I traded some SLR gear for an M3, love it. Some of the leatherette is missing. I don't mind that aesthetically, and in accordance to my comments herein, I kind of like the "used" look it give the camera. My girlfriend is mad at me for trading my nice looking Eos 1Vs for this old thing she tells me to just place in my antique camera collection. Anyway, the question is, is the missing leatherette going to harm the camera in any way? Rust, leakage, etc. etc.??

Thanks Alok,

I had a brilliant idea, I will trade you my M3 for your MP. My M3 is already worn so you don't have to worry about that, and no one is going to want to jump you for a camera with missing leatherette. (By the way no one has answered my question about missing leatherrette, and I don't want to be forced to post another thread focusing on missing leatherette, but I will). I'm not kidding about the trade, either, I will do it.

Rich, there is no right answer. Go with what feels right. I have an M6 and an MP, and I love them both. I think the MP is a superior instrument, but that's just me. You'll find many people who prefer the M6. Just do what you think will suit your preferences best.

They're both superb cameras and I can guarantee that the quality of your photography will not differ noticeably from one to the other.

However, do note that most people who don't know anything about Leicas (which is most people), think they look like quaint little toys. They don't know they are very expensive cameras, even the MP.

But the important thing is the photos. If you're too timid with the MP, go ahead and get rid of it.

Andrew Lee's point about insurance is excellent advice no matter what you decide to

do.<p>Personally, I'd keep the MP. The imprvements over the M6 are not much, but they

are there. The brighter finder with less flare, for one; the brass top over the zinc top... I

have broken M6 style rewind cranks on two cameras (I don't baby my gear), but my M3's

have always been fine- and I prefer a rewind that won't spin-out the film tension if my

fingers slip. Plus there's the fact that your MP is newer and therfore that much further

from needing service or otherwise feeling its age.<p>The main reason to keep the MP is

that you have it now. Stop agonizing over gear and go shoot. (That is, if you are a

photographer. If you're a neurotic Leica gear-freak, then do what makes you happy. And

if you are just so broke that the few hundred will really make that much difference,

consider a cheaper brand altogether.)<p>Oh- and Alok- don't worry about the missing

leatherette. It won't hurt a thing, and your thoughts about a shabby camera looking less

appealing to thieves may have some merit.

Look here (and be sure to catch all of the links) before you decide:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JQgg

The differences between an M6 and an MP are mostly superficial, but if were me I probably would not do it. Instead I would buy the M6 and use it side-by-side with the MP for a while. Then, after about six months, I would sell the one I didn't use (but I would most likely keep both).

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

and turn your mp into a piece of junk. I have an m4-p that Im taking to Buenos Aires. I have some gaffers tape and nail polish. I will cover all signs of Leica. My thing will look like a piece of junk before I leave. Carry it in an old, dirty on the outside, diaper bag.

Perhaps for effect, a bumber sticker that says " my other camera is a Leica" might help.

No potential thief will spot the difference between an M-6 and an M-P.

Does anyone steal film cameras anymore?

I had a M6 and traded up for a MP. I would not go back to a M6 if your committed to keeping a Leica rangefinder. The improved MP finder and meter are real functional improvements over the 6. A CLA will come sooner on a 10 year old M6 than your MP. Buy a second hand leather case to protect the MP and enjoy the improved grip.

No matter what you do - you will NOT use the M6 either - I am certain. You are just paranoid that you might get mugged, no matter what camera you have hanging around your neck. Why would a M6 make any difference - do you really think the mugger will check out what Leica you have dangling from your neck? Get real!