Help me get rid of my camera-consciousness

<p>I find myself wanting to take more photos. More photos of people... but then, when I go to someplace like a restaurant with family, I start to feel uncomfortable about carrying my dslr along. Is it a matter of "just do it" and I will start to feel more comfortable?</p>

<p>Maybe I will just toss on a small lens and it will help to make it more inconspicuous? or should I just get over it, these are newbie feelings and who cares if I take my camera? </p>

<p>I feel this way even at weddings sometimes... too self-conscious of me and my camera. I'm not saying I want to take photos of everything but then again.... why not?</p>

<p>I went to a "cage match" type of fight, and decided to leave my camera and lens in the car... why?... I guess I felt like I would stand out too much... but there would have been great photo ops.</p>

<p>Are these just places where I need to have a good p&s, or maybe a new 4/3rds system with a pancake lens instead of a canon 20D and L lenses?</p>

<p>Anyone else have this happen?</p>

<p>Personally speaking, I think the 'just do it' approach is exactly right. I take my camera (Olympus E-410 or E-620) everywhere I go. My wife gets a tad frustrated at times, calling me 'a happy tourist', but, in my opinion that just means I can get away with more... who takes tourists seriously?<br>

Having said that, if it really makes you uncomfortable, the Oly Pen would be a great choice as a carry-along.</p>

<p>I gave up the RB67 with the 250 exposure back 'cuz bigger ain't always better. My pocket cam now is an Nikon F4s. Oddly, I was not the one intimidated, it was my victims, err ... subjects ... who were. (Yes, this is humor.) -- :o)</p>

<p>It's like giving a speech. Practice makes perfect. Just keep trying, you'll get over anything with practice. In a while, you'll wonder why you fussed at all.<br>

Jim</p><div>00WW8W-246207584.jpg.20ab1baa3d8a2b047b1039eb0b142e5b.jpg</div>

<p>It's something I wrestle with too. :-(</p>

<p>I find I have good days and bad days. When bad karma is all about me, and I'm not being well received by my subjects, I put the camera away and resolve to pick it up the next day after the bad karma has dissipated. (Feel free to insert terms more relevant to your experience.) I then start with easy/willing subjects before I work my way up to more challenging/intimidating subjects. I have to build my way back up, feeling confident with each step forward. I find a big smile helps greatly. It also helps to have a friend close by who can interact with other people and give you an "excuse" to be photographing.</p>

<p>It really doesn't matter whether you shoot with a compact camera or an enormous (d)SLR with a humongous lens. Your success will be governed by your personal psychology. If you're comfortable with what you're doing, probably everyone else will be too. So do whatever it takes to get yourself into your comfort zone. If I can overcome my shyness about shooting with my big/white 70-200L on my 5D, you can probably get over your shyness too. (I'm as shy as they come.)</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>See I got the opposite problem, Erik. A camera has become such a piece of apparel, an accessory to much of what I do and have done for so long--" the camera guy" you know. To a point where I might go to a meeting or a party or a picnic and someone would say " Gerry you did you bring you camera. Oh good, get a shot of this great decorated cake and the buffet before we dig in.."<br>

Erik, I confide it can go too far that way as well. One uncomfortable thing comes to mind. Short story: I photographed a friend's daughter's religious confirmation and made up some prints for the family . Another parent later insisted, and I mean<em> insisted</em>, that I shoot the same for her daughter. I don' t like arm twisting so words were exchanged..<br>

I complied, grudgingly, but the feeling of coercion broke that relationship... <br>

I have no sure fire way to suggest to help you<strong><em> psych yourself</em> up</strong> to be a <em>camera person</em> or even a casual camera guy if that is your aim.<br>

But,well, maybe try this line of thought: " I am recording this event for the person or the <em>group</em>. I am their candid camera guy.... If<em> I </em>didn't do it,who would?. Better me than none." <br>

Goes with the idea, perhaps overly sentimental, that if you are feeling a little offbase or awkward, do something to help someone else and be a servant and part of a group...the rewards will reinforce your decision.<br>

Play with that notion Erik. And good luck, if it helps.</p>

<i>Is it a matter of "just do it" and I will start to feel more comfortable?</i><P>

Yes. The size of your camera has a relatively small effect on how conspicuous you are; how you act when photographing is the primary influence on how your subjects react (or not) to being photographed.

<p>Like Sarah, I have days where I feel more comfortable than others. I am more comfortable when I am at an event with lots of people, and I can sort of "hide" behind my camera. And like Gerry, I tend to be the crazy camera lady, so locally people expect to see me with the camera. I will say that I have more often regretted NOT taking a risk to get a shot. </p>

I shoot strangers on the street all the time. It's takes practice and time, but but try and start acting like you belong there,

and eventually people will treat you like you do. Subjects quickly read and respond to the confidence you project.

There's another shooter here that one said (paraphrased), "When I go out and shoot it's with a big camera and lens. Lets

people know I'm on duty." Makes sense to me.

www.citysnaps.net

I'm not sure if it's phsychological, but I noticed that when I place a small lens(50mm, 35mm) on my canon 30D without the grip, I feel way more inconspicuous in public than if I am carrying a 5D with 70-200mm "bright as light" zoom lens. With a smaller lens I not only feel more apporacheable, I am more approachable.

At a wedding or and event, I don't usually want to look inconspicuous so I pack on the gear and the weight, grips, battery packs, diffusers, flash bracket, flash you name it.

<p>Great feedback guys. This weekend I went to my father's 50th birthday party. Took my camera everywhere, took lots of photos and had a lot of fun. I have to agree though, tossing on my 50mm works perfectly for making the dslr less noticeable. </p>

<p>Erik, that's a great question. I have also felt the same way and left my camera when I should have brought it. I've learned that there is no real problem, just a perception I've had that there would be. I bring my camera along all the time now and no one seems to care; they probably never did. If I have a large obtrusive lens on my camera then it becomes a different story, but for just having a camera available with you it has been not been a problem. It's only my perceived conspicousness which I am slowly getting over. What John O' said is true; self confidence and people skills will go a long way.</p>

<p>An obtrusive lens? Alright let's get to definitions. An obtrusive lens, I submit, is a lens you have trouble handling and where, when you pivot around to get a fast breaking shot, you sometimes crash into the party hostess so she spills her tray of sherry glasses and horses doeuvres..<br>

I mean,really, come one folks, what the devil is <em>obtrusive</em>? Black SLR cameras were considered less<em> obtrusive </em>than shiny ones for a while. (Of course Panasonic now offers them in 49 different flavors. Seems in every thread, there comes an opportunity for devotees of the iconic 50 mm prime to do a pom pom cheer for their fave lens..<br>

I bought this red Lumix micro 4/3 camera for my wife, Erik since you asked about downsizing an SLR. Will that now make her (or me )blend as just another party guest ?. I will get back to you on that when we go shooting with it.<br>

I say stick to John's comment about the thing being all in your head unless the machine adds some head feel to you.<br>

Oh I forgot. Dress the part to blend. Don't wear a photovest or dangle a Sekonic... Don't chimp and show each and every shot to your subject(s)..Never try to 'pose' your photojournalistic event group either, bad idea.... (I tried that once too often, got my knuckles rapped by a busy, high profile Congresswoman ..say, you did ask,friend. Pau.)</p>

<p> For me it's not a question of conspicuousness. It's the lumpen weight. I don't always want to lug around my big DSLRs, not even some of the lighter ones. Oskar Barnack addressed this problem aeons ago.<br>

I have several small cameras. My favorites are the Fuji P&S's and the Olympus XA's, which Galen Rowell used when he didn't want to lug around an SLR (Manuel Alvarez Bravo & Alan Ginsburg used them too) and XA2. The Stylus Epics, too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Gerry, thanks for your words of wisdom. I happen to agree with you, I am not sure when a lens becomes "obtrusive". I have to agree that chimping is absolutely something that sooo many photographers need to get away from. My method of getting away from that happens to be to think that I'm shooting film. Does it help to look at the lcd once in a while to make sure something crazy isn't going on? Sure... but so many people will look after every single shot!</p>

<p>As for the way I dress, I suppose that could also be part of it. When a 6'3" guy pulls up a camera, it often gets noticed. Not that it is always a horrible thing, just something I have to get past.</p>

<p>I virtually stopped enjoying personal photography for all the same reasons. I want to take pictures of the things I do and the people I see, without the whole 'photography post-mortem' conversation. I want to be inconspicuous. The usual point and shoot cameras don't do it for me, in IQ terms, but I recently discovered the G1, and suddenly I'm out taking pictures again ..... <a href="http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/?p=868">http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/?p=868</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Oskar Barnack addressed this problem aeons ago.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oskar tried. And he succeeded. Someone decided to add a motor drive later. Now, of course, a battery booster grip. Flashguns grew too have we noticed.</p>

<p>Moderate size is likely sort of returning with the Olympus PEN.<br>

Apropos of nothing special re camera size and shape.<br>

My 86 y/o neighbor friend gave me his "time- capsule- mint 32 y/o old Minolta." .<br>

Still operates as far as I can tell.. Nitty gritties: One battery cell 1.35 volts. I had one mercury left in the fridge. It may last me for my life before I need to go to zinc oxide ones or get galvanometer recalibrated or whatnot. Battery switch on bottom a little funky,sometimes won't turn on, needs playing with. Some gunky little debris chunk loose in the pentaprism housing. which shifts around when it likes but no biggie.Surface and lens and all is spotless w not one scratch on the body.<br>

(I may, for heck of it, seek out a mainland Minolta SRT series whiz and get this classic spruced up. Any references you have worked with? A real gem and from way way back in 1974,your mom's schooldays I bet. Minolta. A late great company, which I guess still lives as a Sony but it aint quite the same is it.</p>

<p> </p><div>00WXNI-246883584.jpg.6867b7e5c76e13d8ea1a726dcbe0c5f0.jpg</div>