help me chose between two lenses

robstraatman

Hey everyone! For my first 35mm camera the ae-1 program. I have the 50mm but now I have the choice to pick up either the Canon 50mm macro with adapter and the Canon 70-210. Both for 70 euros. Wich is the better deal? I know they are used for very different things but I want to get both in the long run. Any advice will be much appreciated.

EUR 70 for a New FD 70-210mm f4 is too expensive. Depending on where you live you should be able to find a good one for EUR 25 to EUR 50 (incl.shipping) on ebay.

EUR 70 for the 50mm f3.5 Macro is not a bargain either but still reasonable.

My recent experience with the nFD 70-210 and the more pro-oriented 2-ring 80-200 f/4 is that they are both dirt cheap right now. You should be able to find clean examples of either for $40 or less on eBay. I bought a very clean nFD 80-200 2-ring a few months ago off eBay and paid a bit more than $20 for it, plus shipping. It's in almost mint condition, glass and mechanicals are perfect. As for price, same is true with the 50/3.5 macro. 50 and 55 macros are cheap as peanuts these days. So in view of this, my recommendation is simple. Buy both. Or buy all three (and pick up the more pro-oriented 80-200 as well). It's worth noting that, back when they sold new, the 80-200 was substantially more expensive than the 70-210.

Now, if you want a zoom with a bit more reach -- to 300mm, let's say -- I do not recommend the nFD 100-300/5.6. It's a rather mediocre optic. The Tamron SP 60-300 f/3.8-5.4, however, is excellent. It can sometimes be found on eBay for ridiculously low prices. An even better short tele to 300mm zoom I've found is the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f/4 SD. SD stands for "Super low Dispersion" glass. I have a copy of this lens, and it is the sharpest short tele to 300mm zoom I own. The SD glass does a good job of improving chromatic aberration performance. A really remarkable lens. It tends to sell for more, but is still an outstanding deal. I just checked eBay and I'm seeing prices for it in the $60-90 range. It's worth it.