Help me choose photo(s) to enter a competition (7 images)

Ok so this isn't a large competition,but I saw a sign for a local Photographic society and I really want to join. Mostly to be in the company of other photographers, to talk about our shared hobby etc. As a member you get to submit photos to their projection and print nights where your work can be seen and also critiques by professional photographers. They also have presentations by photographers about technique and you get to see their work as well. As much as anything it's an interesting social event to try out. But while I'm submitting photos and prints I might as well try to submit my best. You can see the site here and past winners.

I am able to submit 4 photos. 2 for the projection night and 2 for the print night events.

2018 North Shore Photographic Challenge - North Shore Photographic Society

Obviously subject mater wins the day so to speak and that's down to the eye of the judges and my own skill level and not something I can really control. But as far as picking the right shots to submit the main technical problem I see with the shots I actually love the most is a lack of tack sharpness. The problem being those that are technically executed the best may not be the most interesting. The first photo here is actually one of my favourite shots, but then that's often not a very good reason to pick something. I think the subject matter is good but again the lack of tack sharpness and narrow range of contrast may hurt it. I list the rest in my own rather haphazard ranking of what I think might be good ones to submit. Just looking for critiques not necessarily of the photos themselves but of which one of these you would submit if you were choosing them for this reason. Oh and if you have time I have other shots here, maybe I glossed over one that might have qualities I shouldn't have discounted? Also the lack of tack sharpness I mentioned may only be apparent on the larger versions here:

The Lonely Light

44312735712_1fe222f760_b.thumb.jpg.d768bc14fa611cd7fee365dd7350885b.jpg 42552938640_e854fd06e9_b.thumb.jpg.e70a2b81067fa92fda8834cbe641a153.jpg 37366962900_73cdce80de_b.thumb.jpg.f785203f4f53b1a3106d0db3587e3be7.jpg 43644642924_0654871449_b.thumb.jpg.a6965fb1cc9f6bee8a625bafc7fb5789.jpg 39443662281_9180960117_b.thumb.jpg.ceb970e979630bf1d789bb97d6d0134e.jpg 43215650114_2ef40608e8_b.thumb.jpg.eba9258972914488ac72ff7e7de3f8e6.jpg 29911498085_5144744ec0_b.thumb.jpg.b254734d5a2458206524ac166006ca57.jpg

I've never entered a photo competition that I can remember (I'm 67 years old), so don't go too much by what I have to say.

I like all of your B&W photos a lot, more so than the 2 color shots. I don't care for the first color shot, but the second appeals to me for its abstract nature.

Good luck, whatever photos you choose.

The 2 most compelling photos for me are the couple in the archway and the church. The problem with the couple is the graphic-ness of al the blacks. I think you’d do better if you had maintained, brought out or at least suggested some depth/texture in the wall surrounding the archway. It’s a lot of flat black to look at. In the other photo, the church spire has a noticeable outline around the tallest spire that I’d fix. For content, the first photo is the best but I’m not getting enough from the human subject to make it one I’d choose. Edited by The Shadow
There’s always something new under the sun.

Having done this over the years . . . The first thing that you will need to do before each meeting is a little research on the presenter/judge for that week. Then you submit your best work that is in his area of interest. You can do well with just a great shot but targeting your audience is the best way to get something going.

For example, if the judge specializes in pictures of flowers, I'm not interested in their comments on my wedding photography and I will expect them to pick pictures of flowers as the best of the evening. There are, of course, exceptions.

Having said that . . . The strongest images are number 4, 6 and 7. I actually like the large black areas of the two B&W's.

The first photo here is actually one of my favourite shots, but then that's often not a very good reason to pick something.

Actually unless there is a special theme to the competition, e.g. "color photographs", "still life", whatever, or you have some special insight into the preferences of the juror, it seems to me your judgement as to your best work should be the main reason to pick something. Even when there are special constraints or circumstances on the photos to put forward it should still be your judgement as to what is best of your work from within that subset. It was your judgement that led to take all the photographs in your possession, you need to trust that judgement again when you select from that collection those to present to others.

• Like 1

I actually like the large black areas of the two B&W's.

Not that this is gospel, by any means, but I suggest having a look at the linked article below, particularly the section on dealing with shadows. The author notes throughout the article, and I agree, there are times when such guidelines won’t apply for good reason. And, of course, individual tastes will vary about large areas of solid blacks. But, since we’re talking about judges of contests and wanting to appeal to them, it’s not a bad idea to consider some general photographic tastes and practices alongside personal preference. Look at the works of almost any of the accepted greats and you’ll find that tonal variety and depth, maintenance of some detail or sense of detail even in the darkest regions of photos, are keys to separating the men from the boys. Look at the darkest areas in a lot of Weston or Adams, Cartier Bresson or Brassai. You’ll find a sense of depth and not a graphic black. In Moriyama you’ll find more graphic black areas but that’s within a particular style and supported by the overall style employed in the photo. I’d venture a guess that one of the first things a decent judge will look for in a print (or screen image) is if the photographer’s been able to hold his strong dark areas, save in the most extreme cases where it might be appropriate. Anyway, it’s for lonlylight to decide and good to be getting different point of views.

GuruShots | The World's Greatest Photography Game

There’s always something new under the sun.

All of the photos have their good points but all suffer from your seeming lack of post processing experience. I wouldn't worry too much about which of the images you show to present at this meeting because the true value of the experience will be the constructive criticism you will hopefully get and learn from those who attend. It's always a temptation to "wow" someone with your images at an event like this but the way to get better is to show your best and be willing to listen to criticism because none of us are as good as we think we are.
  • Like 3