come up with entirely different selections for cameras and emulsions

to bring. Here are the options:

EOS with 100 f2 and 300 f4 IS

Leica with 50 f1.4

Mamiya RZ with 110 and 250 APO

Bessa II 6x9 folder

Pressman 4x5 with Nikon 150 f5.6

Sample arguement in my head goes like this: The Leica and the Bessa

are both limited to the "normal" lens, so which would I rather have?

If I bring the EOS, should I still bring the RZ, with its milk-jug

sized 250 apo? If I am shooting with the RZ, will I really feel like

wrestling with the 4x5? If I bring the 4x5, do I really need the

mamiya?

My stupid head hurts. Anyone have experience traveling with too much

damn camera stuff?

It didn't insert carriage returns in my list.

EOS with 100 f2 and 300 f4 IS;

Leica with 50 f1.4;

Mamiya RZ with 110 and 250 APO;

Bessa II 6x9 folder;

Pressman 4x5 with Nikon 150 f5.6.

This is a really impossible question to answer without knowing what your photographic goal is for this trip. Based on your equipment inventory your intended subject matter could be landscapes, fashion, wildlife, street photography, or architecture. I think you need to figure out what you are going to be shooting first, what the intended final product or use is, then choose the appropriate tools.

If your trip is not primarily a photographic one, I would suggest you stick to 35mm. The Leica plus standard lens and the EOS plus 100 and 300. You don't mention any wides so I guess that's not your style.

Unless you concentrate 150 per cent on travel photography, you have three reasonable choices: 35mm format, 35mm format, and 35mm format. The 4x5 is a rather imprudent choice unless you're using it with a 120 back or carry tons of preloaded holders.<p>I just looked at your gear list. If you still have all the Leitz lenses, take them and consider a small camera as a backup. (Olympus Stylus Epic is my suggestion.) And don't forget your exposure metre!<p>Otherwise, EOS + EF 100mm f/2.0 USM + M4-P + 50 'lux, and perhaps a wide angle for one of the systems. You may find the latter handy on occasion.

"your intended subject matter could be landscapes, fashion, wildlife, street photography, or architecture."

My dilemma exactly!! At home, I am pretty focused on natural light portraits, but this will be a different environment entirely. I may find any of the above suddenly captivating!

As was suggested in the last post, I have a car and could fit about 12 cubic yards of gear into the back, preparing me for whatever unforseen inspiration grabs me, but is there a more efficient way to cover the bases?

Of course, I do realize that there is no answer. I really just like to hear you all talk.

I once did a trip from Vancouver Canada to the Grand Canyon, and having the luxury of a large trunk, I brough pretty much everything including two tripods - a big heavy one, and a bigger heavier one. Turns out I only used the bigger, heavier tripod - even on the 20km bright angel trail hike. I learned about my style and I got rid of the smaller tripod once I got home.<P>

Canada is a somewhat large country - any destinations in particular? Do you know how long you are staying for? Are you trying to coincide with any local events?

<P>

Have an great trip!

<P>

John

I'll tell you my story. Although we obviously weren't driving, I went to Greece recently and worried for months over what I was going to take. I actually whittled down my gear to what I thought was bare minimum - EOS with 3 lenses (wide, standard, tele), medium format with fixed 35mm and Olympus 35mm rangefinder (cheap).

Like other people have said, it depends on a few things about your trip. How much space is in your car? Do you have your gear insured (i.e. are you going to feel comfy leaving it anywhere)? And most importantly, WHO ARE YOU TRAVELLING WITH!? If you aren't with a bunch of camera nutters like yourself or with someone who is willing to stare off into space for eternity whilst you change lenses, film, cameras etc. then you need to go simple!

I found out 3 things from my trip. First thing was that I took way too much equipment and should have left my medium format at home. It pains me to say that but when travelling you want to be able to enjoy yourself, take quick easy photos, and have the luxury of zooms. There were too many occassions where I simply could not move my position to change the composition for 35mm.

Second thing I learned is that even though most professionals will knock them, I will be trading in my 28-80mm and 70-300mm lenses for a 28-200 superzoom.

And last, I will never take a tripod again. My handholding technique is pretty good and my tripod never left the hotel. When I needed stability I looked around for something to rest on/against.

While many people will think I'm nuts for actually taking a step backwards with my equipment, I still enjoyed myself, my photos are great and the people I travelled with are still speaking to me!

<I>Anyone have experience traveling with too much damn camera stuff?</I><P>Always. Two 35mm bodies (same brand) with lenses from 12mm to 600mm, plus a 4x5 monorail with a couple of lenses, tripod, etc... If you can still carry it all, you need more stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ward,

Take everything if you have the space for it! Canada is a big, beautiful country, and you'll probably find lots to shoot.

That being said, I would really recommend a wide angle lens, even if it's just a 28mm. If you get into the open prairies or the Rocky Mountains in western Canada, you'll wish you had one. If you're taking the EOS, see if you can't get yourself a 20mm or 24mm.

Good luck with your trip.

• 1 month later...
Where exactly are you planning to go in Canada? It all depends on where and what you're planning on shooting. Personally I like to stay with 35mm, it might be a bit of a hassel carry around a 4x5 and tricky if you need repairs or more film when you're outside of a major city. WhenI travel from province to province, a 35mm satisfies all my needs. If you have a lot of space and aren't traveling with a lot of people however, take it all, it gives you more choice and oppertunity.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn, I wish I had equipment to choose from. I have one Nikon SLR body, two lenses 35-80mm & 70-300mm, and an Olympus E-20 digital camera. My decisions usually go like this. Is there someone else to use my other camera on the trip? If it is a typical daytrip, I'd likely use digital. If it is multi-day where I need lots of shots, then I'd bring the Nikon for serious stuff and use the digital for snap shots.