brambor

The St.Nicholas party is coming up again. Last year it was my D30 with

24/1.4 lens that did the job quite well but since I shoot film 99% of

the time nowadays I would like to use my M6 with 35mm Summicron. the

24mm on a 1.6 crop was also a little too tight for shooting so the

35mm Summicron will do better.

I'm not totally sure if I want to shoot Tri-X on this one. I wouldn't

mind a Provia 400 in color but I have a feeling if I wouldn't do

better pushing to 800. How does Tri-x pushed to 800 look like?<div>00AGds-20670784.jpg.7a26118a37cdd3d565b70539eb58171c.jpg</div>

<<I will push Trix to 800 after the NPZ roll is done. >>

I happened to have looked at the Tri-X info on the Kodak website the other day and saw

the following statement:

"Because of these films' exposure latitude, you can underexpose by one stop and use

normal processing times. Prints will show a slight loss in shadow detail."

As a consequence of this advice the data sheet only contains instructions for pushing it

two and three stops (no info for pushing it one stop).

It would be interesting to compare their advice of shooting it at 800 and processing

normally to shooting it at 800 and pushing it especially looking at the shadows.

I suspect their advice would yeild what they consider to be better results, but both cases

could be interesting to look at.

Full info:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4017/f4017.jhtml?

id=0.1.18.14.23.16.14&lc=en#pushproc

"It would be interesting to compare their advice of shooting it at 800 and processing normally to shooting it at 800 and pushing it especially looking at the shadows."

Not really. Even rated at 400 and processed at recommended times, it's flat. A further one stop under would be thin. I've never grown fond of tri-x and preferred the competitors HP5. Both of them rated in half and developed slightly under normal time seemed to achieved decent density. And rated at 125, pull one, was my favorite, light allowing of course. For faster times, I rested on HP5 @1250, push two in ID-11, 1+1. All of this mentioned with gentle inversions for the first 15 seconds and then for ten seconds every minute there after.

After trying around I've pretty much settled on Tri-x. I have now used Trix exclusively for the past 6 months. Interestingly enough my development time is 6.5 minutes in 20C for 400 rated film. If I go any shorter time then the film is under developed (judging from the side lettering on the film)I wonder what it will be for 800ISO