Help me buy a lens

d_saf

<p>It would help if we knew what kind of photography she likes to do. For example, if she likes to do low light, hand held work, a fast 50 mm lens (f1/8 or f1.4 maximum aperture) or a fast 35mm lens would be a good choice. On the other hand, if she needs a lens with a longer focal length, a Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4 lens with image stabilization would be a good idea. If she want to do wildlife photography, a longer lens like the Canon EF 100-400 mm zoom lens would be a good idea. Lots of good choices depending on what she wants to do.</p>

<p>Both what her interests are, as well as what your budget is are critical bits of information if anybody is to give you any advice that actually means anything. </p>

<p>I'm inclined to think that her tele end is lacking (well, nonexistent), as well, she's lacking any fast stuff in the mid to wide range (such as a fast zoom, or primes). Whether or not either matter to her is of course up to you to figure out.<br>

You tell us, she's your wife. What does she like to shoot(landscapes, portraits, people, sports, BIF?) ? How does she like to shoot (could she use some flash gear?) ?</p>

<p>I could buy a $2,500 lens but I'd prefer not to. I just looked at the 50/1.4 on Amazon and it says it's $339. That sounds like a good Christmas gift if it's the right fit. Is this lens compatible with a Merk II and Mark III? (<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Standard-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00009XVCZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355259821&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+ef+50mm+f1.4">http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Standard-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00009XVCZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355259821&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+ef+50mm+f1.4</a>)</p>

<p>To suggest something a bit different how about 100mm L macro w/IS (about $900).</p>

<p>And add a new 40mm f2.8 pancake in another gift box (about $150) . It is really a wonderful little lens. I have one and use quite a bit lately on my 5D2. Small, light, quite sharp wide open and very nice bokeh.</p>

<p>The safe bet would be +1 for 50mm or a 35mm prime for the types of shots you indicated.</p>

<p>For family/baby, she seems pretty well set up now.<br>

The only thing that might further the assemblage is to go for a 'normal' lens with even more light gathering than the f/2.8 that she has in the 16-35 and more than the medium telephoto she has.<br>

For the deluxe end, and she has a fairly deluxe (=L for 'luxus') group already, the EF 50mm f/1.2 L lens would provide a dreamy out-of-focus background, the ability to utilize the high ISO capabilities of the mark iii even further into the realm of "available darkness" ( a play on the idea of available light). It also has a cost worthy of a "nice" and impressive gift. :) For less money, a nice EF 50mm f/1.4 is a nice shooter.<br>

If it were me, I would go for the EF 100-400mmm L lens or one of the superior f/2.8 70-200 lenses, but I don't do the same kind of shooting your wife apparently does.</p>

<p>She has a landscape type lens. The 16-35/2.8, not as good as some of the TS primes, but usable for most things (not architecture really though). </p>

<p>A 50/1.4 is pretty inexpensive, but it's reliability, and optical performance are also pretty limited. If I were going to recommend a 50/1.4, I'd recommend the Sigma 50/1.4 EX DG HSM, which produces consistent results from f1.4. It's a bit more expensive (~$100), but for someone who does a lot of portraiture, being able to produce good to great results from WO is a very helpful feature, and, frankly, the EF 50/1.4 (and I own one, and have owned several) doesn't. Not saying it's not a perfectly functional lens (most of the time) from ~f2+, but the portrait artist usually wants the <em>ability</em> to produce ultra shallow DOF imagery - Afterall, that's likely one of the reasons she bought a 5D2 and 5D3 - limiting the f stop due to poor optical characteristics is kind of self defeating. </p>

<p>First thing I would do is as her what lenses she wants! Lens choice is often a very personal thing, and it is quite specific to the needs of the individual photographer. If really feel the need to surprise her, don't take a chance that you'll surprise her with the wrong lens - give her a gift certificate, a check, or just offer to take her to get the lens of her choice. </p>

<p>But please (Please. PLEASE!) don't get her a lens based on what some folks in a photography forum happened to mention!</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>"Thanks for the response Jim. I'd say she takes more family/baby pics than anything else right now."<br>

If this is the case, then a 50mm lens would be a good choice for half-body, full body photos of babies. The recently announced 35 f/2 with IS would also be a great choice for family/kids photos.</p>

<p>"Thanks for the response Jim. I'd say she takes more family/baby pics than anything else right now."<br>

If this is the case, then a 50mm lens would be a good choice for half-body, full body photos of babies. The recently announced 35 f/2 with IS would also be a great choice for family/kids photos.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would buy something else, she has a nice kit already.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. Get her a flash, an off-camera cord and a softbox. For why, see <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00b6GP">here</a>, fifth picture down. The Speedlite 600 EX-RT will work with the Mark III (assuming it's 5D we're talking); the cord you want (to start with) the OC-E3; softbox: Lastolite EzyBox Speed-Lite. Throw in Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook for good measure (although the 600 EX-RT has come out since that book was published, almost all of it is still relevant).</p>