Help me achieve my goal to shoot weddings for family and friends

athena_cupp

<p>I have been asked to shoot 3 weddings this year, the first one being in May. I came upon this site in an effort to gain knowledge and advice. There are lots of great tips but I have to weed through so many negative and even hostile comments. Every single one of you has been a newbie at some point in your career and had to have that one person(s) who saw something in you or your pictures and wanted to give you that chance or perhaps you saw a way that you could use your photography to bless or help someone else.<br>

I have basic equipment. A Nikon D5100. A 70-200mm lens, a 50mm lens 1.8f, a basic speed light on camera flash. I have done many portrait shoots for friends and family. I am taking online photo classes and read as much as I can and then try to practice those tips in order to improve myself and my photography.<br>

The three weddings I am shooting are all for friends for family members. One I am getting paid for, two I am not. I don't think it is irresponsible (as I read in one persons comments that is irresponsible to accept a wedding with no experience) to accept a wedding for someone who otherwise wouldn't have one due to finances, etc. I know that I am not a professional and do not claim to be and all of these people know that.<br>

With that being said, although I am not a professional, I do have some experience and my goal is to continue to improve myself and to deliver the best wedding photos that I can possibly provide. I would love to hear your comments and tips to help me with that goal.</p>

<p><blockquote></p>

<p>MODERATOR NOTE:</p>

<p>The main question asked by the Originating Poster is for assistance and advice regarding shooting weddings.</p>

<p>The Thread's Title has been edited to reflect that theme.</blockquote></p>

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Athena. Back in 1997 I was working for a newspaper and our receptionist was to be married in three days. Her photographer backed out. I had never done a wedding. I stepped in. To make a long story short that single wedding grew into a six year business that I cashed out because I could not handle the wedding workload. It is for you to judge whether you are responsible or not. Go for it. I would suggest you at least rent some back up equipment like another body, a camera mounted flash or two and a 24-70 or 105 zoom. I don't know what lighting you will run into. I found the normal focal lengths I used were the full frame equivalent of about 24mm to 105. I used 70- 200mm sometimes to do head shots and dancing so as not to stick a camera in someone's face. Just shoot a lot of pictures, pick the best and process them properly. Even after I had done a number of weddings I still found I had to be careful about the basics of exposure, shutter speed and ISO particularly with changing light. . I would go to your venues and shoot some pictures before hand to see how your equipment works. Do some test shots in what you think will be similar light if the weddings are indoors. I wish you the best of luck. My customers were satisfied from the beginning but I found as I went along that there was much to learn.. Good luck. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Athena,<br>

In general on this site we are very gentle and supportive of anyone that has been learning the way you are. Yes at some point we all moved from learning to working. We are trying to help new photographers not blow a job. Sometimes, someone comes along that is almost completely unprepared and we tell them not to do it. It is not harsh to yell at someone about to stick their hand in a fire. It doesn't matter if you tell customers you are inexperienced, if you screw up bad enough they can sue you and win big enough to destroy you. <br>

BTW get back up equipment. 2 flashes, two bodies, 2 lens normal range lenses. Insure the equipment and liability. <br>

Keep learning.<br>

I suggest getting a job working for a photographer before going into business. </p>

<p>Good luck in your pursuit of doing photography as a business.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Athena, I've shot a few weddings for friends (unpaid) as you're about to do; and I learnt an awful lot those few days. First of all, I do not want to be a professional photographer, or at least a wedding photographer (and I am neither indeed). Second, I learnt to understand where the negativity comes from. No matter which way you put it - you're taking on a pretty big responsibility and will have no second chances at these pictures. You have to perform, no excuses.<br>

When I agreed, I thought I had a decent amount of photographic experience. Let's say: it was sufficient, but no more. I knew how to use my gear blind enough to be fully focussed on getting decent compositions. I was (and am) mediocre at using flash, and that's a bloody important tool. I knew way too little on how to really deal with event photography, though. Very intensive, hectic days and I was totally drained after each one of them. Editing photos afterwards was another good chunk of time, not to be underestimated. <br />What none of us can judge is how ready you really are. A lot of people get their main feedback on their photos from family and friends, and Facebook "Like" count, etc. A lot of people feel great photographers because all their friends tell them so - but their photo have never been scrutinised by somebody who can really lift your level up a few notches (note: I am no better, just a persistent amateur!). Harsh, relentless analytic feedback - a lot more rare, but it is needed. Because making a mess of a wedding will be worse to deal with.</p>

<p>So, that's where the negativity creeps in. Is that a good or a bad thing? Honestly, if the negativity gets you down, then probably it's better not to dive straight into wedding photography. If you understand the nature of the negativity, do give it a try, and be ready to be extremely hard on yourself because you will have to play at the top of your game.<br>

In the end, "professional" in the strict sense is about making an income out of it. Professional attitude is what this is really about. When you say "my goal is to continue to improve myself and to deliver the best wedding photos that I can possibly provide", I think you show the proper attitude to dealing with it professional. Set the expectation and price right, get a simple contract, do the best you can and learn. Put aside your ego, and work for your customers.</p>

<p>Practically, as Dick said, you will need a second camera, second flash and backup of the principal lenses (on a D5100, a 17-50 f/2.8 would be my first choice; only a 50 and 70-200 leaves you with too little wide angle for group shots etc.).</p>

<p>Athena,</p>

<p>I don't think there's any true hostility or "negativity" to new photographers here. I came here when I was brand new and generally found good information and a lot of encouragement. The more experienced folks here donate their time to share their expertise. That's "positivity" in my book.</p>

<p>BUT...</p>

<p>We see here the consequences of a lot of badly prepared newbie photographers. This forum is not as active as it used to be, but not too long ago, we saw a fairly steady trickle of threads with one or more of these three themes:</p>

<ul>

<li>Person who's just gotten their first DSLR, has fallen in love with photography (good so far) and (here it comes) thinks they're ready to start charging $1000 a wedding. These posts can be heartbreaking. </li>

<li>Bride who's having terrible problems because she hired a photographer with little or no experience. These posts are even more heartbreaking.</li>

<li>Bride and/or photographer who are having serious problems <em>and have no contract</em> to guide them towards a resolution.</li>

</ul>

<p>There is of course a certain amount of economic protectionism, that is, experienced photographers would prefer that "cheap labor" not flood the market. Brides are still paying $15K or $25K for their receptions for food that's going to be gone before midnight but increasingly they balk at paying $3000 or even $2000 for a skilled, experienced photographer who will give them beautiful memories that will last a lifetime (or until the divorce becomes final, whichever comes first).</p>

<p>But I see that protectionist impulse more in the forums of the PPA. Now that's not surprising nor do I mean to criticize it. The PPA is a <em>guild.</em> It sets standards and promotes those standards to clients. So it's natural that the PPA would be skeptical of photographers who disregard the PPA's standards. But this is not the PPA and for the most part I think the experienced pros here are quite open to everybody. The people who do most of the heavy-lifting here do it out of the goodness of their hearts. And if they give a newbie a hard time, they do THAT out of the goodness of their hearts, too. Wedding photography isn't a good line of work for the faint of heart or those whose feathers are easily ruffled.</p>

<p>Best wishes,</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have gotten many good tips on here but I did see a few posts in various forums where someone new was "bashed" for not having experience and accepting photography jobs. There is a big difference in constructive critisism and someone being completely rude. I know this is not going to be easy and I don't mind constructive critisism or someone giving me the hard facts. This is exactly why I came to this site. Most of the shoots I have done have been for free or less than $100 regardless of the time and effort that were put into them. I paid a very big price for my Sons senior pictures a few years ago and I noticed that several of his friends were not getting senior pictures because they could not afford it so I studied up on portrait photography and then tried my best to give them something decent. Were they the same quality as my Son's pictures..of course not. The last portrait session I did was at Christmas for a lady at church who just had twins then her husband lost his job. I did Christmas pics of their children. All of these weddings that I am doing..these people aren't skimping on pictures to pay higher prices for other things, they are just trying to have the best wedding they can on the budget that they have. I think I am a pretty decent photographer with a good eye and a creative streak, God gave me this talent and I wish to use it to bless others. I don't think people should be without the opportunity for memories because they do not fit into a particular income bracket. One of the things I see over and over in the forum is that the bride should increase their budget to get a more experienced photographer, that is not a reality for everyone. I do appreciate all of your comments and advice!</p>

<p>When I got started I did a lot of two hour five hundred dollar weddings in today's dollars. Throughout I kept my prices below going wedding rates for the area as I built up my name in the business. I think you are doing the right thing. Your customers will let you know about your quality. And, I agree with you that there are a lot people who cannot afford the big time who will appreciate anything they can afford. That was how I got started so I think you are taking the right approach. My only caution is that it is important to understand how to make a decent picture on a reasonably consistent basis. That is where referrals come from and I believe is really how to grow a business--happy customers. </p>

<p>While I'd rather encourage new photographers and give them information, it's also essential to consider the clients.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that most states and cities have incredibly stringent requirements for training and licensing for hairdressers, beauticians and cosmetologists. But the money involved is only a fraction of the cost of many weddings, even at the most expensive hairdresser. And most hairdresser mistakes will fix themselves in time.</p>

<p>Even if those licensing requirements for beauticians seem excessive, at the other extreme usually no training, credentials or licensing are required for photographing a wedding, which costs much more and cannot be "fixed" later for large weddings with guests.</p>

<p>That said, I have shot weddings and other events as gifts at no charge for family members only. And even then I did so only when the alternative was no photos at all because the budget was so tight. I always explain that I don't consider myself to be a good wedding photographer, but I'm a pretty good candid photographer and have a knack for capturing the moment. Just don't ask me to set up formal poses. So far, so good, every family member and friend has been happy with my photos.</p>

<p>Nowadays I don't even do that because everyone shows up with their own cameras, ranging from cell phones to professional quality dSLRs - better equipment than I own! So nobody needs to go without wedding snapshots. Often those casual snaps by close family and friends are as good as anything I can do (kids and teens are especially good at capturing fun candid photos), so I haven't needed to shoot a wedding for family since 2006, and have done only a few other portrait sessions such as maternity photos.</p>

<p>If anyone were to offer to hire me to shoot a wedding as a pro, I would politely decline and offer the names of real pros I know. Because I don't have liability insurance, am not set up to pay the appropriate taxes, and don't differentiate between my personal and professional equipment and expenses. I know my limitations and I'm not going to risk something so important when there are already so many highly qualified professionals who actually need the work.</p>

<p>I for one agree that a newbie should not accept a wedding without prior experience. That experience comes through assisting someone with experience and putting in the time to see all that can go wrong. Then you can start to second shoot and when you feel confident go for it. It only takes one screw up to give you a bad name. Not all weddings are back yard or in the church basement. My wedding was a backyard by the way. lol Those small venues are no stress but when you do one that the people spent some money then thats a whole different story. <br>

As far as your booked weddings for your friends, congratulations for those jobs. I would highly recommend making up a contract and stating you are not a professional and will not be held responsible for any loss of images including images that are not technically correct. You will be surprised at friends who sue friends.<br>

Back 20 years ago when I was breaking into the wedding scene we did not have the online forums so we had to confide in one person face to face. Here you get to speak to the multitudes of people you don't even know and everyone has there own twist on things. Some are more passionate than others. LOL Good luck Athena</p>

<p>Athena,<br>

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of 'negativity' I see on this forum is a result of hard learned lessons - and is expressed in the interests of preventing you (and more importantly, your client) the heartache and cost we see and hear about all too frequently. Now some of us (myself included) do get in the occasional tit for tat little disagreement, which are, admittedly a bit immature, but for the most part, the advice we profer is a result of actually seeing things firsthand. </p>

<p>If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. The only person you have to answer too is your client. If you've been honest and forthright with them, then they must bear the blame when it all goes to heck and they end up with a few dozen poor quality pictures. Your sole responsibility is to be honest. It sounds like you are, and I can't fault you for that, but frankly your kit is a step, or a trip, away from disaster. In a worst case scenario, A court very well could find you responsible if, as you are backing up (you know, for a group shot, you know, because you don't have a lens wider than 50mm! ! ! (on a crop no less!)) you trip over a chair, your camera, and yourself hits the ground, and the concrete damages it, and you loose the pics you already took, and the ability to take more.</p>

<p>The reason I mention a court's decision is because friends become the worst of enemies. And while it would be hard to convince a judge you were liable if you hadn't accepted any monies (though not by any means impossi<em>ble), once you've taken a fee for your services, and once you've taken payment, you can be considered a professional for all intents and purposes</em>. If you plead <em>"I told her I wasn't a pro!"</em> The judge will simply say <em>"Then you shouldn't have been taking money for your services." </em></p>

<p>IMprofessionalO you should not be shooting weddings for payment. (Freebies for friends and family are of course a different category.) The reason I say that is because a) you do not have gear capable of capturing a wedding<em> at all. </em>and b) you do not have the experience to manage the flow and required tasks of a wedding. --by all means, shoot the freebies (after heartily and seriously recomending an actual professional), you will learn soooo much! perhaps at the expense of your friends wedding album, but perhaps not. Who can say?</p>

<p>You NEED a wide to mid zoom. they are kit lenses on every el cheapo camera body sold, and I can't fathom why you don't have one, but one won't cost you more than $100 and will save your behind! With a 50mm on a crop as your widest lens I'm not sure what makes you think you can capture even a moderately sized group photo without backing up across the road. If you are shooting inside, you will likely not be able to do it at all (and the added distance will kill off your flash's ability to light a scene.) </p>

<p>What concerns me most though is NOT the lack of equipment, it's the lack of knowledge that you even need the most basic of equipment. a 50 on a crop is fine for portraits, a 70-200/2.8 is great too. But those don't even form half the battle line in a wedding. A wedding is a portrait shoot, yes, true, but it is so much more. kind of like saying the space shuttle is a glider. Yes, true, but the experience is just a <em>tad</em> bit different....</p>

<p>I'm sorry my post is so 'negative' but sometimes the truth sucks. When our pediatrician sat us down and said 'This is a pretty clear Leukemia situation' It sucked. But I thanked him for being honest and straightforward with us, I didn't complain about how negative his attitude was (considering I know it ruined his day too) while he was being brutally honest. Don't take it personally. don't blow the negative ones off. you learn as much if not more from them than you will from the sappy sweet ones, assuming you are willing to learn.</p>

<p>Marcus you are so right!!! Anyone can take a picture especially now with digital and iPhones. Its everything else that goes on at the weddings that makes it difficult when you don't have experience. PRESSURE when everyone is late and you have everyone breathing down your neck because you only have 5 minutes to take the family pictures. How about the procession and your flash starts acting up right when the bride is coming down the aisle or your pocket wizzard is not working or your lens locks up. You did not have time to set up room lights and you can't bounce your flash cause the ceilings are black and you did not have a booster pack to juice your flash. Your room lights go out right at the cake cutting or camera failure. I can go on and on and these are things that has happened to me but I was prepared cause I saw it happened before when I was assisting and I made mental notes. I do not wish this on any new photographer. Thats why I am here.</p>

<p>Athena, It is a kind and thoughtful gesture to offer to take pictures for someone who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. However, not all kind and thoughtful gestures are returned as such. What happens if:<br /> <br />-- ten minutes into the wedding your camera or strobe stops working? <br />-- Grandma trips over your camera bag, falls, and breaks her wrist ? <br />-- your pictures, while perfectly adequate in YOUR eyes, do not meet the bride's (or groom's) mother's expectations? And she is MAD AS HECK. <br />-- your camera bag is stolen at the reception?<br /><br /> All these things have happened (though hopefully not at the same wedding!) to professional photographers who were prepared for these and many other eventualities by way of planning, training, and insurance. This is a mark of professionalism. <br /><br />Question One: were you invited to these weddings BEFORE you offered to shoot them? <br />Question Two: If you were to pull out of shooting these weddings, would you be dis-invited? <br />Question Three: if you were to pull out of shooting these weddings would the bridal couple find a professional photographer and pay him/her to shoot their wedding? <br />Question Four: Would you shoot their wedding as a guest? <br /><br />Honest answers to these questions might be of help deciding how to handle this situation.</p>

<p>I know all 3 of these couples and their situations and no I don't think they can afford anything better and with that being said at least with me having a personal connection to them they are getting someone who CARES about their wedding and is going to strive to do the best job I can do..if I back out now I can't say that some guy they hire from craigslist is going to give them that. I am totally committed to doing this. I realize that I don't have the best equipment nor do I have the experience. I have also thought long and hard (and maybe had a few nightmares) about the things that can happen. It does sadden me that we live in a world where a good deed can turn into a nightmare but if I let that fuel my decision than I would never do anything out of fear! One of the weddings is my nephew. He and his fiance have postponed their wedding for a year due to lack of funds. They both work hard and are paying for the wedding on their own. They like most couples want to have the wedding of their dreams. He is one of the main reasons I decided to take the photography classes online through Improve Photography. I have photoshop but I purchased Lightroom and I am taking a Lightroom class so that I can be proficient in editing these wedding sessions. I LOVE this kid and I want him to make his day special. And in response to the comment about my lens...I do have other lens but I was reading an article on a photography blog that said those were the BEST two lens sizes to shoot a wedding with...I guess it all relative to each photographer and what there style is..etc, etc. </p>

<p>Athena,</p>

<p>You're about to go jumping through a landmine-laden field on a pogo stick, and the best intentions in the world aren't going to protect you. The admonishments you are receiving are justified and in the best interests of you, the couples getting married, and the integrity of the photography industry.</p>

<p>Go and shoot these three weddings, then come back here to re-read what people are trying to warn you about. It's not made up. Wedding photography is probably only about 50% photography. The rest of it is intangible people skills, troubleshooting techniques, and playing psychiatrist to make sure everyone is relaxed and looking their best for the images. That is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. So many things can go wrong at a cataclysmic level, which is <em>precisely</em> why it is critical to apprentice first. It's also a ton of work. I joke with my couples that I run marathons in order to train for weddings.</p>

<p>Free or not, friends or not, make up a contract which sets the expectations. When I first started for people in the beginning of my learning process, I actually had language in the contract that indicated I promised to deliver nothing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You're about to go jumping through a landmine-laden field on a pogo stick, and the best intentions in the world aren't going to protect you. The admonishments you are receiving are justified and in the best interests of you, the couples getting married, and the integrity of the photography industry.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pretty much sums it up.</p>

<p>If you prefer: those who need to ask the questions are unlikely to understand the answers.</p>

<p>I haven't done a wedding for thirty years and wouldn't take one on now. There are enormous problems which didn't exist, when I went off on a Saturday morning with a couple of TLRs, a big flash and two packs of Ektacolor in my jacket pockets. Get yourself an apprenticeship and do a small business management course, then you <em>might</em> be safe in the minefield.</p>

<p>I guess I should make myself clear also on the fact that I am not trying to break into the wedding photography business. I work full time and my most important job as Mom. We own a dairy farm in a rural area. My husband and sons work 7 days a week, some days very long hours farming and this affords me a lot of free time. I love photography and helping people. I have often thought of trying to take my photography to a more professional level but I don't intend to do that for at least a few more years when my youngest in out of school. I am perfectly content with the way things are now...to slowly work my way in that direction while gaining experience and trying to expand my knowledge and work on my skill. I have served as wedding director for many friends weddings and I do understand the time and attention that goes into a wedding day. I do appreciate all of your comments however my mind is made up. I intend to do these wedding as stated. I know the risk but I think to help others it's a risk worth taking. I will certainly keep everything you said in mind and make a contract but I am not going to allow myself to become so cynical that I turn my back on these good friends because I am more concerned about myself than others. Now back to my original question...I am looking for tips and advice on shooting a wedding and would appreciate feedback on that.</p>

<p>I didn't read through all the comments so I'm not sure how much of my two points have already been covered. I only have two points for advice.<br>

1: KNOW your equipment.<br>

2: Have backup gear for EVERYTHING. I've shot several weddings over the years using a backup camera or lens because my main one was acting weird. Not wanting to take any chances I bagged my main camera and finished the job with one of my backups. Fairly recently, I pulled up to a wedding job, got out and was putting my gear together and discovered my main lens had some type of moisture leak, a lens I used several days before without issue. No problem, just pulled out one of my backups and finished the job with no issues. I'm telling you, backup EVERYTHING. <br>

Have fun. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>...I do have other lens but I was reading an article on a photography blog that said those were the BEST two lens sizes to shoot a wedding with...</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

That advice is worth exactly zero - maybe that means something to the author, but to even form such an opinion, it implies that the author has <em>copious</em> experience (experience you do not have). Simple things like: Where does he/she shoot? and Is he/she using a FF or crop sensor camera? Are absolutely critical to making that assessment! I know people who use a 35+50+85, those that shoot crop w/ 17-55 & 70-200, those whom shoot the 'standard' FF kit of 24-70/2.8+70-200/2.8 (plus a couple primes), heck, even a guy who loves the 16-35, plus a 85 & 135. Regardless, no sane wedding photog would <em>ever</em> go to a wedding w/ 50mm on the crop being their widest option!<br>

<br>

I am sooooo glad to hear that you have other lenses to select from!<br>

<br>

If you would like advice on how<em> you</em> can do <em>your</em> best, you'll need to provide us with all the relevent information. The most important bits of info are: a) how many weddings have you shot? b) what is the sum of your other photographic experience?, and c) what is a complete list of your available equipment? and d) how much time do you have to prepare?<br>

<br>

Obviously, you've told us that you do a fair amount of portraiture, but implied no weddings. You've got a D5100 (crop sensor nikon I assume), and a 50/1.8 and a 70-200(2.8?).<br>

But that's all we know! And that is neither enough experience, nor enough eqp. to expect good results!</p>

<p>As far as pay, and 'for broke friends/family' Well, I'd say you should refuse any and all payment. It's not that your time is worth nothing, it's called setting a specific expectation. You are not paid, this is a gift, and you are giving what you are capable of giving. <em>Their expectation should be set as low as practically possible</em>. I would continue to recommend a professional (even a cheap one), but advise that you will do your best regardless. I don't know that, <em>in this situation (ONLY!)</em>, I would even recommend a contract, just a friendly witness to your conversations. <br>

</p>

<p>On the point of assisting friends and relatives: you might be 100% certain that they are on the same page as yourself and your assistance might flow perfectly and your immediate friends and family might be very happy with the service and the product that you supply.<br /> But I would underscore one point that has already been made variously - and that is that you take into consideration the third parties who are involved. For example the Hotel or Reception House where the Event will be staged: that venue might require you to have Public Liability Insurance (the exact title will vary).<br /> There may be other "clients" who have expectations of you and your services and goods which are inconsistent with the expectations of your most direct friends and family. For example, you might know the Groom and his Mum and Dad, and also you might have met the Bride, but not met the Bride's Aunty (who made the cake) . . . and that Aunty might have expectations of you, which you are unaware.<br /> So I think that it is very solid of you to want to help you family and friends, but keep in mind that there is usually more than just <em><strong>those</strong></em> family and friends who are your "clients" and who will have expectations of you and possibly demands on you.</p>

<p>***</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I have basic equipment. A Nikon D5100. A 70-200mm lens, a 50mm lens 1.8f, a basic speed light on camera flash"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your gear is ill-suited compared to what mostly <strong><em>all</em></strong> Wedding Photographers would choose to use.<br /> For example - The Nikon D5100 is an APS-C Camera and when either your 50mm lens or your 70 to 200 zoom (used at FL = 70mm) is on your camera, you will be about 20 feet from the B&G to make a nice Half Shot in Landscape Orientation - which is OK . . . ONLY IF you have that 20 foot of space, to move back. <br /> A 17/18 to 50/55mm zoom lens would be more appropriate for your requirements.<br /> You need to know if you can use Flash (in the Church/Worship Place) - AND - if you NEED to use Flash you NEED to have at least one more flash.<br /> Your 50mm lens is s Fast Prime Lens, which you can use for Available Light Shooting, if you cannot use Flash, BUT - on an APS-C Camera a 50mm lens, is a Short Telephoto Lens and for Wedding Work usually a wider fast prime is more useful, if one only has one prime lens to use - a 28mm to 35mm Fast Prime would be a useful investment, if you think that you will need to shoot Available Light.<br /> A second Camera Body is mandatory.</p>

<p>***</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...I do have other lens but I was reading an article on a photography blog that said those were the BEST two lens sizes to shoot a wedding with..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Although there is much more to shooting a Wedding than the gear one uses: but being a Novice and asking preliminary questions, it would be best if you did help out the respondents and disclose exactly what is all the gear that you have to work with.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>The one single area that I have noticed where a Novice makes errors is attempting to do too much, what I mean is take too many photos.</p>

<p>It is far better to have a <strong><em>plan</em></strong> to get the images which are on your priority list first.</p>

<p>The most important element in achieving that aim - <strong><em>is to be in the correct position and ready to shoot.</em></strong> So in this regard your knowledge of the Wedding's Procedure; the Venue layout and any Local Rules is crucial.</p>

<p>Once you have got the priority shot then you have either a few minutes or a few seconds to expand your shots always watching for the next priority shot.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>.... but keep in mind that there is usually more than just <em><strong>those</strong></em> family and friends who are your "clients" and who will have expectations of you and possibly demands on you.... </p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

So true! <em>Especially</em> when shooting for friends and family, You should expect to be constantly badgered by your friends and relatives to<em> 'sit down!' 'relax!' 'have a drink' 'you aren't hungry?'</em> sometimes they are insistent, sometimes they get offended... be prepared regardless, and be ready to walk all over their feelings, because you may need to. <br>

<br>

I've done more than a few of those, even one in which my kids came too... more stressful in some ways than the nicest most gorgeous high dollar events I've shot...<em>"Daddy, why can't you pick me up while you take pictures? You do at the zoo!"</em></p>

<p>I understand where you are coming from and you have all good intentions of blessing everyone who can't afford to pay the higher prices. Understand that once you accept money you are responsible for your work blessing or not. The dollar amount does not make the responsibly more or less. You are better off truly blessing your friends and family by doing it for free to gain more experience. Online classes can not provide this training.</p>

<p>I am only getting paid for one of the weddings and that is only because they would not accept it for free. I didn't even quote them a price, I just told them they could give me a "donation" based on what they thought was acceptable and affordable. I have put a call into my insurance company to pick up liability insurance and I have also began to research contracts so I can put together something suitable for me. I do appreciate all of your advice and I am taking to heart. Thanks again for your help. </p>

<p>Good luck, Athena. You seem determined to do this regardless of our advice to the contrary, so I'm not sure why you're asking for that advice. You might as well be saying "My friends can't afford a real doctor so I'm going to take out their appendix for them as a favor. What advice can you doctors give?" Most doctors would tell you not to do it, and why it's a really bad idea.</p>

<p>While that is a somewhat absurd comparison to be making, it is meant to highlight that your request for advice is being overshadowed by your refusal to follow any of it that you don't happen to like.</p>

<p>Here's my "You're a fool if you don't follow this advice" list of advice for your situation:<br /> 1) Get contracts. I don't give a wet slap how friendly you are with them.<br /> 2) Obtain backup equipment in case something happens to yours.<br /> 3) Obtain a backup photographer in case something happens to you.<br /> 4) Obtain liability insurance in case you do something that causes damage.<br /> 5) Communicate thoroughly and save all communication with the client, in which you state more than once that you are not experienced in this line of work and that they agree to hold you inculpable.</p>