HELP! Lost lens cap for 45mm f/2.8 pancake

martynas_photo

<p>Hello all,<br>

I have lost the dedicated lens cap for my silver 45mm f/2.8 pancake lens and cannot find one to buy anywhere. The problem is that no standard 52mm Nikon cap would fit the lens with its lens hood attached. (for those unfamiliar, the lens with a hood looks like this: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/94/340294.jpg)<br>

The manufacturer's link indicates that the fitting cap is coded FA-46, but that does not quite help:( the link to Nikon product description is here http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/discontinued/nikkor-lenses/2006/45mm-f-2-8-nikkor<br>

I have contacted Nikon support, but they could not specify any dealer either and could only suggest looking on the big auction site. Which has no listings of this kind (neither active nor completed).<br>

So, if there's anyone out there who has an idea of where to look for this little thingy - your input would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I can always remove the lens hood and use the standard 52mm cap, but.... you get the idea:) Thanks.</p><div>00XNyp-285327584.jpg.8c2f7bc13fa04d598037f662a30bac71.jpg</div>

<p>Old type caps will work. They were made with a metal ring, and basically are the same desing. Of course they were made in black, plastic+metal, no silver and beatiful like the 45P ones, I`m afraid.<br /> I try to remember that these caps were designed for the very first Nikkors (early seventies). Maybe any 52mm lens cap from that era should work. Not exactly what you`re looking for, but better than nothing.</p>

<p>Jose, thanks, I'll try checking the older caps. I have an older lens with 52mm thread, but its cap doesn't fit.<br>

Rene, No, Nikon no longer manufactures this lens. They were discontinued in 2006 or 2007, if I'm not mistaken.<br>

Leslie, now you get the idea:). The lens has an original Nikon filter under the hood already, 'cause that's how the entire thing was devised:)</p>

<p>Jose, thanks, I'll try checking the older caps. I have an older lens with 52mm thread, but its cap doesn't fit.<br>

Rene, No, Nikon no longer manufactures this lens. They were discontinued in 2006 or 2007, if I'm not mistaken.<br>

Leslie, now you get the idea:). The lens has an original Nikon filter under the hood already, 'cause that's how the entire thing was devised:)</p>

<p>My sense is that you may be out of luck. Lens was only made between 2001 and 2005. I honestly do not believe Nikon made extra caps for this limited lens, it came in black and silver. The black lenses sold out years ago and appear on eBay at very high prices, the silver ones on the auction site are high but not as expensive as the former. You may be able to cobble a cap but frankly I'd go to the housewares department of a hardware store and buy a bag of various size food container elastic soft lids (look like mini shower caps). I use these on lenses that are an odd size and are missing caps or never had the dust cap.</p>

<p>Martynas, I know the only acceptable solution is to find the same, original chrome cap, but I think it could be an almost impossible task if it cannot be supplied directly by Nikon.<br /> Anyway, FWIW, here they are the caps I mentioned above. Left and right, 52mm vintage caps for SLR Nikkors, in the center the original 45P (same as yours - black version). All fit at 100% over the 45P with hood attached:</p><div>00XOG2-285563584.jpg.64b4cd08bba7cd63a17d20e57af00760.jpg</div>

<p>Check how they look at the reverse... all are basically the same design; you can find that caps originally provided with A type, maybe with C type Nikkors, too. Some of this lenses are so popular and can be bought for almost nothing (even for less than a brand new LC-52 cap!).</p><div>00XOG7-285565584.jpg.c59160842e4ab2232daf60fb27fa239c.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Hi Martynas,<br>

I am looking for the same item Lens Cap Silver for Nikon 45mm F2.8p and have found several in stock (as close out items) at Canoga Camera<br>

<a href="http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=44692">http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=44692</a><br>

I am in Singapore and cant get it, they(Canoga) dont do international purchases. Nikon here in Singapore does not stock it. Maybe you will have better luck than me, give them a call.<br>

Regards<br>

Hamish</p>