Help! Lost in backgrounds...

I've been reading nearly all articles related to backgrounds in the

different photo.net forums and I must admit that I'm lost in the

different kinds of studio backgrounds.

I'm setting up in my home in the UK a small portrait/commercial

studio (16x16ft) and I'd like to do the most educated decisions when

it comes to background technologies/systems and fabric choices.

The backgrounds are either seamless, muslin, canvas, paper, wrinkle-

free, on a roll, on stands, hand painted, etc... and it's very

confusing.

Could someone give me a quick and objective overview of the different

backgrounds, systems, their advantages and drawbacks?

Thanks a lot.<div>005Jzf-13236984.jpg.6e7d2b97a067265ac3df471eba72c59a.jpg</div>

I'm not really up on 'small portrait studios', but your decision should largely be

dictated by aesthetics - do you want smooth, clean, single-tone backgrounds (use

paper) or do you prefer those blotchy, out-focus, multi-colour backgrounds so-loved

by social photographers (use whatever they use - muslin, canvas, hand-painted?)

In your position, I would go for paper backgrounds, and if at all possible I would

avoid using the type of background support system that comprises of two lightstands

(or similar) and a cross-bar. This set-up is fine if you have an assistant, but is

really awkward if you have to change paper rolls on your own. If you decide to

change backgrounds mid-shoot, you'll often end up asking your subject to help you

out - sometimes cool, sometimes not.

Much better to get a support system that allows you to have 3 paper rolls (e.g. white,

grey, black) permanently mounted on the wall. You then need some sort of system to

unravel them - motors are overkill - some sort of pulley system would be fine...

It's not all that complicated:

First, I'd recommend a background stand--Savage makes one that is light and easy to set up for about $100. You can us it for rolls of seamless paper or, with clamps, muslin or canvas backdrops. It's not super sturdy, but I've had mine for 4 years with intermittent use (average 1x/month) and it's held up perfectly.

Second, Seamless is the same as paper--they may make seamless backdrops out of something else too, but when you hear someone say they used a "white seamless background" they usually mean they used a roll of white paper. The rolls are on hollow tubes, like paper towels, that slip over the tube at the top of your backdrop stand that you just purchased.

Muslins are a lightweight (the weigh/thickness varies) cotton cloth that takes dies well. They're usually stored bunched up in a bag or box and the wrinkles ad texture. They can be draped in various fashions so that the background light shows texture and wrinkles to add to the scene. By using different colored gels you can create a number of effects on a neutral colored (ie gray) muslin. These can be died in various ways and in various colors and are often a good first purchase. My first backdrop was a mottled gray muslin about 10'x 20'--it has proven very versatile. If you don't buy the background stand these can be nailed to the wall to hang. Lots of people buy muslin cloth from a fabric store and dye their own.

Canvases usually refer to more expensive painted heavy canvas backdrops. Probably more like you'll remember from the classic portrait studios. They'll have thick paint and hang flat. They can be very nice for formal portraits as they have some inherent texture. I don't own one b/c I don't shot for a living and the cost can be prohibative. You could make your own by buying a heavy painter's canvas and some paints.

There are also commercial backdrops available that have fancy computer generated pictures on them--they're also usually pretty expensive and not as versatile. Look at Denny's and similar places for those.

I don't know what wrinkle free materials are out there, but I bet they're pricey.

There are chroma key backgrounds (green or blue) that are specificly used to take picture then placing a different background digitally if you're Photoshop saavy.

Again, if you're getting started. It's worth buying a background stand. You can build your own or hang something from the ceiling, but for $100 I find the stand very much more convenient and worth it. Buy a nice blue or gray or light brown 10x20 muslin. Buy a roll of white seemless and maybe another color if one strikes your fancy. Buy a package of various colored gels to use with your background light to change the appearance of your muslin. With that you'll have lots and lots of stuff you can do for a long time until you find you have other specific needs. And you won't go into debt buying a canvas you'll use just a few times.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks a lot guys for your replies!

I already have background stands and pole, it is just that I will have to work in a very limited space (16x16ft) and the stands always use those little extra 1 or 2 ft.

Thanks for the advice on muslin. Now I understand the different products on the market. Seamless white paper and grey+black muslins seem to be the best choice for me.

Thanks again!<div>005K9M-13241884.jpg.ee877496e84a1b7c77d2527097a5a1e0.jpg</div>

You may also want to consider painting your own backdrop on the wall if space is extremely limited. I did that by painting it a flat darker gray and using a sponge with lighter grays to give mottled effects. It is easier to customize the wall by repainting or adding subtle colors with a sponge. And of course it is lots cheaper than muslins or even paper unless you want different effects often.