Help! Lens not stopping down?

purplealien

<p>Hi guys<br>

I'm having a big problem with over exposure with my old 50mm f/1.8 AF (non-D) lens on my D90. I dial in an aperture but the lens doesn't seem to stop down resulting in an over exposed picture. The meter responds to the aperture setting, but EXCIF allways says f/1.8 regardless.</p>

<p>Have checked with my 18-105 kit lens, and that's fine.</p>

<p>Is this a compatibility issue, or has the lens died? Is it possible something's sticking; its a very old lens that's spent a fair amount of time in storage.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any help you can give me........</p><div>00Y81t-326859584.JPG.377f2350b66e3868c5a5ddaabb05a31f.JPG</div>

<p>It's definitely *not* a compatibility issue.</p>

<p>Although this lens is not known to be especially prone to oily aperture issues, that might be the problem. Remove the lens from the camera, set the aperture ring to f/22, and then pull the little lever on the back on the lens down with your index finger and release it. Does it instantly return to the rest position?</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Spring gone?"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Doubtful (spring<em><strong>s</strong></em> (2) in this lens IIRC). If it feels stiff when you pull the lever to open/close it back up, then the aperture blades are almost certainly contaminated with oil and are sticking together. Discontinue using the lens, as sticking blades place undue stress on the camera stopdown lever mechanism.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it sounds like your lens requires repair.</p>

<p>Since the stopdown lever will not move if you dial in an aperture of f/1.8, it only needs to pull the lens aperture open when you first mount the lens. So there is no repetitive strain on the body mechanism once the lens is mounted and the blades are initially forced open.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, It's probably best not to do so, and I wouldn't recommend it. Too easy to forget you have a malfunctioning lens and set an intermediate aperture by mistake.</p>