HELP: Is this Leica M4 black paint authentic?

<p>Joseph, I cannot see you picture; there is only a "?" A photo here would be hard to evaluate. Without seeing your M4, I have two questions. From whom did you buy the camera. How much did you pay for it?</p>

<p>Your first question you should have asked was whether the paint job is original or a repaint. If it is original then you can pretty much bet that all the parts are original. </p>

<p>Leica keeps a list of its original black paint cameras' serial numbers. Check that out.</p>

<p>I can't see any picture at all, so I can't comment on the camera at all, but 'basic black' is one of the easiest modifications to a real or phony Leica body.</p>

<p>The Ukrainians and the Russians are very good at this sort of thing. I have a lovely all-black Contax II, the value of which is reduced only by the fact that Zeiss neglected to make this camera model in black. Such oversights are, fortunately, easy to correct.</p>

<p>Johan, I did not say that the M4 was faked, but a black finish could quite easily be put onto a real silver one. I'm only sorry that I can't find one of them to blacken my Nikon F and Nikkormat FTn for a reasonable price. The black ones are sooo pretty. :)</p>