Help!! Is Repairtech inc. of NJ honorable??

I cant find any critiques or reviews on this company, they are a

extended warranty co called repairtech inc from new jersey. any

input is most appreciated, i want to buy an s2 on ebay with this

extended warranty on it, but i am scared becasuse i dont know if

this warranty co is worth the ink they wrrite their warranties with. i

checked with BBB of nj and they say they have one unsettled

complaint and that is it, so i am in the dark. nothing on the

internet that i could dredge up anywhere except consumer

companies selling their warrnaties. not feeling good about

repairtech's reputation. thanks, john

• 1 year later...

I was looking for the same answers as you when I found your post. Of course it is two years later now. I figure someone else might be doing the same thing so I will offer my two cents.

I purchased with my camera (Canon D5) a 5 (five) year warranty. The company is RepairTech, Inc. I just recieved the camera today. I wanted to look up the company the extended warranty was through but was not given the name when I purchased over the phone. I had seen Mack every where when looking at cameras online.

I looked up both companies on the NJ BBB website. There have been complaints on both companies. Both companies have resolved or made every attempt to resolve the complaint. The sheer volume of business that they probably do covers for the amount of complaints I suppose. Neither one thrills me.

Repairtech thrills me less. On their website it states: "Who we are

We are RepairTech. Depending on the particular service contract, RepairTech, Inc. provides both on-site as well as drop-off repair services for residential and commercial customers. We�ve been in business for over a quarter of a century providing top-notch customer service to thousands of customers."

The NJ BBB has the business start year as 1999. Someone at Repairtech must be really bad at math.

Mack as been in business since 1938 and is reflected in the NJ BBB report.

REPAIRTECH, INC.

545 Broadway

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Original Business

Start Date:

11/1/1999 Type of Entity: Corporation Principal: Joe Saieda, Executive Vice President Local Phone Number: (877) 418-8324 Fax Number: (877) 815-8324 Membership Status:This company is a member. Date Joined BBB:9/27/2005 TOB Classification:Auto Warranty Processing Service Web Site URL(s):http://www.repairtechinc.com

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau.

To have a Satisfactory Record with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

Closed Complaints

Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 36 Months: 40

Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 33

Complaints Concerned

Repair or Service Issues: 20

Outcome of all complaints -

Resolved: 19; Company made every reasonable effort to

Resolve: 1

Guarantee or Warranty Issues: 10

Resolved: 9; Company made every reasonable effort to

Resolve: 1

Refund or Exchange Issues: 6

Resolved: 6

Customer Service Issues: 4

Resolved: 4

Report as of: 8/9/2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MACK CAMERA SERVICE

200 Morris Ave

Springfield, NJ 07081

Original Business

Start Date:

1/1/1938 Local Business

Start Date: 1/1/1980 Type of Entity: corporation Principal: Melvin Kevoe, President Local Phone Number: (973) 467-2291 Fax Number: (973) 467-2590 Membership Status:This company is a member. Date Joined BBB:1/15/2003 TOB Classification:Photographic Equipment & Supplies-Retail Web Site URL(s):http://www.mackcam.com

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau.

To have a Satisfactory Record with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

Closed Complaints

Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 36 Months: 83

Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 45

Complaints Concerned

Sales Issues: 1

Outcome of the complaint -

Resolved: 1

Delivery Issues: 2

Resolved: 2

Repair or Service Issues: 25

Resolved: 25

Guarantee or Warranty Issues: 46

Resolved: 43; Company made every reasonable effort to

Resolve: 3

Contract Issues: 2

Resolved: 2

Customer Service Issues: 7

Resolved: 7

Report as of: 8/9/2006

There you have it. You decide after see what repair shops in your area are RepairTech or Mack. I think I will just get my money back. I will pay for repairs myself at a camera repair shop of my choice in my area. Though I will say that if I was going to stick with an extended warranty I would go with Mack because at least they do not lie on their website about how long they have been in business.

I just went to there website, and it does not say anything about being in business for 25 years.

I have a RepairTech warranty. I had a very positive experience. I had lost my warranty card, but they still helped me, and fixed my camera with out any hassle. This RepairTech company is big on customer service.

• 1 month later...

RepairTech customer service critique, review & complaints:

They are honoring the service agreement, but expect frustrations. ("Your milage may vary")

I also have not found any reviews on this company on most of the usual web sites. I hope what I write here is useful to consumers and is helpful to the company.

My experience with RepairTech Inc (http://repairtechinc.com) is colored by really bad customer service at their front lines.

1) telephone access to them is problematic.

The support lines are frequently busy. When I can connect, I have been on hold with the main support lines more than once for over an hour. I have been placed on hold indefinitely and forgotten. If you want to check the progress on a service request, you will be referred to another number where you start the process again.

2) repair times may be long.

I sent my camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15) in for a repair and cleaning in late August. I gave them approval to repair it on September 9th. I write this on Oct 9th, and the camera is not yet repaired. Is one month too long? Maybe not; but, I've been told that it would take less than a week to repair it - three times to date. It's the classic "over-promise/under-deliver" situation.

3) RepairTech "warranty" is not "insurance"

This is not a complaint, just a warning: be aware of what you are purchasing. I learned an expensive lesson that what RepairTech offers is an extended warranty--that is, an extension to the manufacturers warranty. This is not 'insurance' against repair costs outside what the original warranty offers. If your camera fails for any reason outside of what the original warranty covers then RepairTech will charge you to fix the problem. This charge is in addition to what you will have already paid for the extended warranty.

In hindsight, I believe that the manufacturer's warranty and my own homeowner's insurance would have been sufficient for my needs, and (I presume) that I would have received faster and less frustrating repair service from a local repair shop. I would have also had more coin in my pocket from not having paid for the extended warranty in the first place.

To be fair, customer service representatives that I have worked with are friendly and helpful. Also, problems have been resolved rather quickly each time that I requested to speak with a manager. The problems you may experience are related to failed customer service *processes* and tools. If you're lucky, you will have no issues and efficient service. If not, you will suffer slow service, long telephone wait times and unresponsive support.

-jim anderson

• 5 weeks later...

Update regarding my experience with RepairTech:

I finally received my camera back. I find no fault with the repair.

In summary: I approved the repair cost on 9/5. It was repaired on 10/23. Received shipment via UPS on 10/31. So, just short of two full months from approval to return.

At no point was I offered expedited shipping.

They forgot to ship the Lens Hood.

-Jim

• 1 year later...

RepairTech has the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered. I bought a 3-yr. extended warranty from the online retailer (not realizing I got stuck with a RepairTech warranty). My camera stopped working, so I of course called RepairTech. Most of the time they are closed. When they are open, the phone number is busy. When I finally got through I waited (no exagg) 1 hour 40 minutes before giving up. I also posted a complaint on BBB.org.

-kevin

• 2 months later...
Have not had to use there services yet but from what i have read i am prepared to expect the worst I have not had a good experience from the beginning 1 I was told by seller of my camera on e bay Barklay Photo doesnt use PayPal so you have to call in to them to complete the sale so they can pitch the warranty They pitched the Repairtech warranty to me as being able to get it fixed anywhere 2 Repairteck website lists 2 places in Green Bay to take my camera to for repair Turns out both are just holes in the wall kind of places and are not tecky enough to touch a camera They list 2 Best Buy stores 25 miles away.Best Buy doesnt give estimates for repair and does not deal with outside warrantys Called Repairtech and was told i could receive a mailing box at home to ship out my camera if i needed repair 3 Go to register online and for date of purchase field only goes up to 2007 i am not clicking on that and loose 1yr of my warranty and it doesnt have my camera model number so what am i suppose to click on a lower model number I called and did it over the phone 4 Read my e mail confirmation mssg and now i have to Fax or Mail not e mail my original sales receipt to them to complete the registration When the time comes will they honor the e mailed receipt i received from Barklay Photo and then made a copy of Wish me luck if i ever need service

• 7 months later...
I also have had a horrible experience with Repairtech. They have the absolute worst customer service that I have ever experienced - unprofessional, disrespectful customer service representatives, constantly busy phone lines, and managers that are, for some reason, always in a meeting. In my opinion, Repairtech shows all of the earmarks of what I believe is - at the very best - a horribly run company. I guess this is my lesson to always check the BBB website before doing business with a new company, and to avoid discount sites like Abe's of Maine, which seems to have an unusually close relationship with Repairtech.