HELP! I'm leaving on a trip!

phillip s cheng

I'm leaving for a foriegn country in a few months. I need to check my cameras

and/or lenses. (International flight, not much room for several big lenses)

I've heard of Pelican cases. are those okay?

Any other dangers I need to watch out for? (Temperature? Condensation?)

Any other ideas for packing?

Check to be sure you dont have to fill out a form when taking your equipment. I have not traveled out of country with equipment yet, but had someone caution me to fill out a ....form that has the serial numbers of my equipment on it before leaving the country. It was something that you could do at Customs at the airport and sounded simple enough. Sorry I dont have better info on it. Just might be worth asking before you fly out. As for the Pelican case I can attest that they are awesome. I float Arctic Alaska rivers each Fall fly fishing and camping for 2 weeks at a time. We float 60 miles or so in Ally pack canoes on rivers that have a few sets of mild/moderate rapids. I have used Pelican cases for 5 years and they are great. Two words of caution. One, be sure the rubber seal is intact and in the groove that it belongs in. Year before last my buddy closed a case that had the sat phone in it and the seal was bent over. Water got in the case and left the phone useless for the rest of the trip. Thank goodness we did not need it. And two, be sure you dont put anything in the case and close it up with water on it. The cases are waterproof. That goes both ways. Moisture will be trapped inside just as it prevented from entering. Take advantage of clear skies and open the case up to ensure the foam lining is 100% dry when you can. They are rock solid and very waterproof. But you still have to be mindful of some things. One other product that I have been looking at for our next canoe trip in Alaska is the Lowepro waterproof backpacks. Forget the name, but it is on B&H. Drytex or something like that. It will be allowed as carry on luggage from what I read (check on international flight luggage requirements as they may differ) and it is 100% waterproof. Much easier to carry around than a Pelican case. No question about that. They are around $200 but may well be worth the money if you find yourself in a downpour with a few grand worth of goodies in the backpack. You could probably do a search here for Customs, traveling with gear, and similar to find the Customs form I mentioned. Error on the side of caution and check into it.

What foreign country? I would do nearly everything you can do to NOT check your gear. That being said, a Pelican case with their heavier TSA-approved locks is about the best you can hope for in checking the hardware. They have pressure equalization features, and you can drop $15 worth of dessicant packs into the case to keep the humidy under control. Unless you're going someplace truly equatorial, and then all bets are off on that front anyway.

On a recent series of international flights, I carried a large pack, totally stuffed with gear (just one body, but also a laptop, several lenses, cables, batteries, etc.). I also had a fairly good-sized "man purse" that counted as my "personal item" that was also allowed. I had no trouble, but was glad to bully my way towards the front of the boarding lines to get the best shot at an open overhead bin.

<i>Check to be sure you dont have to fill out a form when taking your equipment. I have not traveled out of country with equipment yet, but had someone caution me to fill out a ....form that has the serial numbers of my equipment on it before leaving the country. It was something that you could do at Customs at the airport and sounded simple enough</i><p>First of all, it's not that simple. It has to be done at an off-site customs location at most airports, and it usually means a separate trip. You have to bring all your equipment with you and show it to them. I did it once, but never again because...<p>Nobody really cares about this. I've traveled to Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Africa, to Communist and Muslim countries, and never once been asked about all the equipment I was carrying. I have been asked about other things, most notably when I returned from a Communist country and stupidly had a news agency tag on my bag, but never questioned about equipment. If you carry brand new equipment that looks like you bought it somewhere, there might be an issue if they decided to open up your bag, but I've never even had my bags opened except into Mexico, and they were looking for cash, not cameras. Save your time for other things.

Check out Flying with Fish:

http://flyingwithfish.blogspot.com/

It is a blog about travelling with camera gear.

I have never been questioned about my gear despite having never filled out the customs forms.

I have had never checked my camera equipment. I always carry it on board. The last trip I took my camera backpack and laptop bag on. I had to take a NZ domestic flight and they wanted me to check the backpack. I showed them what it contained and they let me move some stuff from the laptop bag and carry both on.

The idea behind having your equipment inventoried is to save yourself hassle when returning home. If, say for example, you are flying back home to the UK from Singapore with a lot of camera equipment that looks new, customs in the UK may try to charge you duty. Having this form, mentioned above, proves that you had the equipment when you left the UK.

I've done it a couple of times in Canada before leaving home, but have never had someone question the origin of my equipment upon my return.

If your equipment value falls below the allowable amount of duty-free purchases for import to your country (combined with with the other items you plan to purchase), then don't worry about getting your stuff inventoried.

In Canada, you have to go to a Customs office (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency). All they do is write down a description and the serial number of your stuff and then sign and stamp it. It doesn't take much time and doesn't cost anything.

And, I've always carried on my camera equipment. I have a Lowepro Nova 5 that I've taken as carry on (along with another 25L daypack) numerous times without problems.

Have fun!

In the old days, there was much more reason to log in your equipment with the local customs people before you left to avoid duties on return. The same declaration was also helpful in some countries for documenting what you were bring in (and just as important taking out) to avoid duties. In recent years, I have not been checked, but I have carried an inventory with me, and a copy of my camera insurance that lists the major items, just in case.

I'd certainly avoid checking anything if you can. It's not that the locks won't work, but that was true in the old days too. If you absolutely must check it through, I suppose the Pelican cases would be as good as any, and better than most.

I agree, do everything you can to avoid checking fragile camera equipment... It's far too likely to get lost/broken/stolen.

Several ideas how to carry on a lot of stuff:

Use a backpack. I use a LowePro Mini Trekker and it will handle up to a 300/2.8 IS, along with lots of other stuff. This will fit into a typical overhead bin. It's also a lot kinder to your body, all that weight better distributed by two wide, padded straps.

Most airlines allow a second carry-on, which can be a camera/shoulder bag that will fit under the seat.

Still need more room? Wear a photo vest and fill the pockets with equipment. A vest is a piece of clothing, not a carry-on. If you don't have or want to wear a vest, a coat with a number of large pockets might be helpful.

Larger, less fragile items like a tripod or monopod can be stashed in a checked bag, along with your clothing.

And, be careful going through the security check point. Likely you are going to need to open one or the other of your bags for hand inspection, or be inspected yourself. Hopefully you are traveling with someone else and can pre-arrange with them to keep an eye on your other stuff while dealing with the inspectors over one or the other items. Ironically, all the distractions of the security checkpoint are making them popular among thieves, as an easy place to grab an expensive looking bag and walk away.

Check on the restrictions on the airports that you will be passing through. Some of them limit carry-ons to one bag. Heath Row is one example.

I carried 3 cameras with me to India and Vietnam, twice each, in 2007, and I was questioned by customs there each time. Saying that they were for personal use got me through 3 times, but on the 4th, in Mumbai, I got in a long discusssion, with the agents saying that i should pay duty. Oddly enough, the U.S. form that lists the gear and serial numbers, calmed them down, even though it had no standing in their country.

Oh, and in each case, the complaint was that I had 3 cameras. I don't think they would have said anything for 2.

You say that you don't have much big lenses.

Then are you thinking of the Pelican case?

If you don't have much gears carry onboard.

You could carry one body and 2 pro zooms onboard.

If you can list what your style of travel is and what equip you have we can offer more custom advice.

<p>Sorry guys forgot to check for a day or two. Well anyway I am considering the Pelican case now. From what I've read at Flying with Fish (thanks Alistair!) and at this forum, it sounds pretty sturdy and I haven't heard of anybody breaking it. I'm going to try to carry on everything.</p>

<p></p>

<p>I'm planning on taking </p>

<p>1 EOS Rebel</P>

<p>1 RENTED Mark IIN (just to say I've used one)</p>

<p>1 70-200 f/2.8 L RENTED }</p>

<p>1 24-70 f/2.8 L RENTED } These three will be evaluated for purchase</p>

<p>1 100-400 f/2.8 L RENTED }</p>

<p>2 Extension tubes</p>

<p>1 1.4x Teleextender</p>

<p>1 tripod</p>

<p>Lots of odds and ends (memory cards/ readers/ chargers/ batteries/ batteries/ batteries/ and lots of cabling and adaptors/ entertainment devices)</p>

<p></p>

<p>Anybody have any other candidates for rental? This trip is part of my grand master plan/vacation to figure out what to end up drooling over.</p>

<p></p>

<p>I'm expanding in the future so I will need more room.</p>

<p></p>

<p>All this junk is canon.</p>

<p></p>

<p>I think that's everything.</p>

<p></p>

Thanks</p>

Have you checked the rental contract at your proposed source to make sure that it and the insurance they will doubtless insist you have will allow you take the kit to wherever you're going?

If you are not intending to check your gear then don't get a Pelican. They are seriously heavy and cumbersome to carry. Personally with what you say your're going with I think I could get all the precious bits into a carry-on bag and put the tripod and bits in my case.

With so much gear its more a photographic trip than a holiday trip?

How much is the rentals? I arn't from the USA but stuff can be quite expensive. If you are hiring a few lenses for a few weeks I won't be surprised if that amount of money you can buy 1 lens brand new.

By the way, why are you carrying 2 telephoto lenses?

Why are you carrying 2 digital bodies if for serious work cool but for personal work ..

If a typical holiday, how heavy is all this stuff and how many hours will you need to carry them with you each day? How much walkings are you doing?

Where are you going?

Also note that many places galleries, museums etc, limits bag size that you can carry inside and may request that you leave it at reception and you allocated a number tag.

For instance if you carry a pelican case and you say these gears will be with you at 24/7 then how are you going to carry all those gears plus the big pelican case? Outside, streets, restaurants, hotels, navigating to another city/country?

If pelican case I assume you are going to pop it in cargo? Because I doubt these stuff would fit in carry-on allowance.

What bewilders me is if you have like near 10kg of equipment, how are you going to drag it on the street? I assume you and your family are going to be walking outside on this "grand vacation"?

If you have a pelican case are you going to carry it. I've not seen the pelican but can they carry 2 bodies and 3 big lenses? That case would then be pretty big. Are you going to drag the pelican case via the city with the case's wheels?

Shopping malls, tourist attractions, seeing other pple, travelling in groups, restaurants, own accom or hotels, public transport or tourist bus?

Uhh its two weeks, im evaluating which one im going to buy and whether or not the Mark II, although I might forgoe that one. I was sort of kidding about the lugging them arround all day. Apparently they can according to Flying with Fish. Ill leave some in a friend's house I'm mainly taking maybe the 24-70 and the 70-200 out with me. Im not quite sure about renting the 100-400 yet.

Uhh based on the price, not renting the body. I figure this is better than buying a lens and hating it. And I feel kind of guilty if I buy them and then return the one's i don't like, but if I keep at least one its not so bad right?

Rent is about a $100 per lens with insurance. Im heading off to Taiwan, and they're pretty relaxed with photography policies. I might make a stop in Japan too. I havnt completely finished planning this out. By a few months I meant ehh lets see. Hmm 14-26 months.

The pelican fits ona plane carry on apparently. Im not sure if it will fit under the seat in front though. Anybody know?