Help Identify/Find Manual for TLR

torrie_brown

<p>A few months ago I bought a TLR on ebay -- the listing did not specify the model of camera or give any instructions on how to use it. I bought it despite this, figuring that I could identify and find a manual once I had it in my hands. The camera arrived and it is beautiful and seems to be in good condition, yet I am having problems with it. I've searched high and low on the internet to identify it and this listing is as close as I could come: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61020909/vintage-tower-reflex-model-65-true-twin<br>

It looks exactly like the camera in those photos, yet other listings for Tower 65 models online do not look exactly the same as the one in that ad (for example: Tower Reflex 65 - the shutter release is not in the same position, etc.)<br>

Therefore, I'm still not entirely sure what I have. Even if it is a Sears Tower Reflex 65, I have not been able to find a manual anywhere to clear this up for me.<br>

In addition, (although I have no idea how to work a TLR) I have tried messing around with it and from what I can tell the shutter speed dial is stuck. It moves easily from 500-100, but after that refuses to move any further.<br>

If you could help me with any of these problems I would be enterally grateful.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>Hi Torrie,<br>

Most TLR's are very simple to own and operate and give great pictures....I wouldn't necessarily stop your search for a manual, but am sure you can successfully operate it without.<br>

Camera should take 120 roll film. Depending on your expectations for pictures would help you decide which film to use. I would suggest using traditional black and white..(Tri X or Ilford HP5). If you are going to hand hold to shoot, I would stick with 400 ASA for now.<br>

I think the shutter speeds on TLR's actually work on a minimum of two mechanisms to properly operate, a high speed and low speed. It sounds like the low speed mechanism is most likely dirty or damaged. Depending on you expectations I would simply use it "as-is". The shutter speeds that you have working are more than adequate to use the camera.<br>

Focusing is done thru the top lens, picture taking thru the other. Load camera and advance the film to the frame number one on the counter, take your picture, advance accordingly.<br>

Not knowing your specific camera it probably does not have a shutter/advance lock that prevents double exposure so keep that in mind as you use it.<br>

Learn the "Sunny 16 rule" or pick up an inexpensive hand held light meter if you feel you need to. Lens on these guys will probably give best results at F8 or F11.<br>

If you really become enamored by the TLR (which is easy to do, they are a blast to shoot with) consider picking up a YashicaMat to play with as well. Fabulous lenses, well built and easy to find. Lots of information on popular models easy to find on the net.<br>

Have Fun! Hope this helps...<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Another thought for you Torrie,<br>

Most TLR's of this vintage are essentially "copies" of the Rolliecord camera lines. Do some research on these and you will be very close for information as well.<br>

Good Luck!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Torrie, Sears was a seller, and as such probably contracted a number of companies. What lens is on your unit. Copy in all numbers and names. If it is Fuji, do some googling on "FUJI TLR", or whatever other name might be there. As for the shutter speed movement, is there an ASA setting of any kind on the lens, or even on the meter dial it could couple? Some later TLRs had their meter coupled to the Shutter/aperture, and for certain film speeds, only certain combinations were usable. Try adjusting to a lower ASA, and see if the slow speeds become accessible.</p>

<p>Hello all, thank you for your responses so far, they are really helping me out!<br>

I tried changing the ASA to see if that would affect the shutter speed lever but it is still stuck -- I'm probably just going to have to bring it into a shop if I want to get it working, unfortunately. The listings for the lenses are exactly the same as in the link to the TLR that I posted... both are Fujitar f/3.5. I also looked up a manual for a Rolliecord. I have not had time to go through it completely yet but if I am unable to find the manual for this particular camera that manual should be able to at least point me in the right direction. </p>