HELP! - Epson 2200 and OSX 10.5.7 Compatibility

<p>I recently upgraded my Mac and am having trouble printing with my Epson 2200. It seems that I do not have all the printing options that I had when printing with the Mac OS9 operating system. I am missing paper choices, dpi printing options, etc.. I did download the proper printer driver according to the Epson site, but I cannot print any imagery above 72 dpi, the default. How do I obtain the printing options that had when using OS9? I am printing through CS4.<br>

<br /> Thanks!</p>

<p>I'm not sure about Macs, but on the 'other' OS there is the ability to run programs and drivers in 'Compatability mode' of any previous OS for just such issues (when a HW-SW vendor hasn't fully updated their offerings). If that's available, I'd try that.<br>

Did you fully uninstall the old driver before installing the new one? Sometimes there can be conflicts.</p>

<p>1_make sure you get rid of the epson driver by starting fresh. Go into the print panel and select your printer, then press the - sign to remove your pritner from the list.</p>

<p>2_dowload the latest driver from the epson web site and install it</p>

<p>3_then go back to the printer list and press the + sign, add your printer if you see it.</p>

<p>All should be as usual with some cosmetic change.</p>

<p>What Patrick said.</p>

<p>The Epson drivers are—as part of the installation process—<em>supposed</em> to configure your existing printer list entry with the correct drivers. Whether or not they'll actually do this is a crapshoot. Deleting and re-adding the printer will ensure the correct driver is active.</p>

<p>I have the correct driver, but the options are missing. I have checked other forums and see that there are problems with Epson printers and the newest Leopard operating system. It seems some have figured it out, some still are trying. It is seemingly a crapshoot. I've tried everything. The printer works fine, except I do not have any options in the printer menu. I really need to speak with someone who has the same printer and operating system, and has figured this out.</p>

<p>can you post some screen capture of what you see as for the option..a lot of people said that and infact they are using the CUP driver that is not at all from Epson but a default driver part of OS X..really common error even if you THINK you installed the correct one ; )</p>

<p>There may be a similarity here with Windows, which has a generic, limited Epson driver embedded in the OS. Even when you download the full driver from the Epson site, your computer may still be defaulting to the generic driver and you have to manually select the full driver as the default. Could that be happening here?</p>

<p>1_first window doestn show anything usefull..do you see your pritner there in the printer selection area?</p>

<p>2_second window still doestn show anything usefull, its a Photoshop window waiting for you to select the correct paper profile. I see in the other hand that the correct epson 2200 is selected n top..but still doestn do anything to me.</p>

<p>3_what i want is the next screen after that, the epson driver setting when you press print in that Photoshop window.</p>

<p>Yes, what Patrick said.</p>

<p>I have a P2200. On your Page Setup screen is your printer listed in the drop down Format for: ?</p>

<p>On your Print dialog screenshot what happens when you hit the Print... button? That's where you will get your print settings, paper choices, etc.</p>

<p>Keith,<br>

In your picture 2 attachment you have the window open for CS4. Your next step would be to press the PRINT button. You will then get another window called, you guessed it "PRINT". Within this window will be several drop down menus. There should be one in the middle called LAYOUT. Click on it, you will then get several options. What your looking for is in here. Most likely under print settings. Im not for sure since I have a R2880 and not the 2200.</p>

<p>1_apple dont have to support a 8 years old printer, and epson could / should create a driver for that situation.</p>

<p>2_apple cant be responsible for lack of knowledge from the user..from what whe see here, the user seem to be a little unknowledge about how to print..lets try to help him instead of starting another stupid mac / pc debate</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>lets try to help him instead of starting another stupid mac / pc debate</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed, I hope those end forever. Unless we're all three years old, there's no reason to allow our egos to make trouble just to justify our own decisions and false self-esteem.</p>

<p>Anyway Patrick, you seem to know Macs; there must be some kind of compatability mode to run things in OSX9 mode, no?</p>

<p>I got an older Epson scanner to work that had no 64 bit driver by editing the driver INF file for a newer scanner that had the same software/hardware interface (just a copy and paste of a couple of text lines in the file), and it works great. Does stuff like that work on Macs? Perhaps the 2400 has the same instruction set?</p>

<p>According to epson web site Epson support the 2200 on 10.5..so in that case it is likely to be the exact reason and explanation i give earlier; user problem because of lack of knowledge, knowledge that i glady provide if the OP follow my instruction.</p>

<p>1_make sure you get rid of the epson driver by starting fresh. Go into the print panel and select your printer, then press the - sign to remove your pritner from the list.<br>

2_dowload the latest driver from the epson web site and install it<br>

3_then go back to the printer list and press the + sign, add your printer if you see it.</p>

<p>OS X provide support for many Epson printer on his installation DVD, and sometime it support it with GUTENPRINT and aldo your pritner is supported, you wont get the *real* option, and that willmake you *think* that you have install the correct printer driver but in fact you didtn trash the older one...anyway, as i said, follow my instruction first, then post the only window you didtn provide and from there i will see where the problem lie.</p>

<p>As for the techno stuff Brad, i cant say..i normally just use what Epson provided..im not that of a tecky : )</p>

<p>**OS 9 have been discontinued and unsuported since the Intel Mac release if im not mistaken, so only the pre intel comp can run it *officially*, im sure someone have create a way to go back in time and have a lot of crash appening to remember the old time LOL.</p>

<p>Maybe the .7 update caused a problem. People everywhere are finding out that by exploiting USB thumb drives as bootable devices, they can illegally copy software and even boot off of them, bypassing the normal security of network lines and SW installed on hard drives. Perhaps the .7 update plugged a security hole there, breaking bi-directional communication with the printer since OSX no longer sees the 2200's feature set. It's usaually something lame like that.</p>

<p>Unfortuneately Epson does NOT have a good reputation with me as far as driver updates. When I called them about the missing 64 bit driver for my 3200 scanner they said, "It'll be available in two weeks." That was 3-4 years ago, and it's still not available. Hardware companies use these SW/HW incompatabilities to sell more, newer hardware (which is a rip-off in my book, and SO un-green as all this old HW has to go somewhere). It's not difficult at all to alter a driver for a different OS. After doing some research I had no problem doing it myself, but a printer is much different (inks, paper, etc.).</p>

<p>"Gentleman, they are the only two windows that I get...."<br>

But what happens when you click on the highlighted Print... button in your Print 2.png??? Nothing? It crashes? What?</p>

<p>are you afraid of using the print buttom on the print windo in Photoshop? just press it and get me that screen capture..before that whe CANT help.</p>

<p>No you cant go back in time when you upgrade your OS other than starting with a backup..what appl suggest you do BEFORE upgrading or if you have Time Machine enable you can go back from to a previous state.</p>

<p>Until i see this screen capture i wont anwser anything more ; )</p>

<p>Brad, how can you conclude its a Apple issue if you dont know if the OP have install the correct printer driver? or if he use the correct one not the gutemprint one? until you see the epson or not menu..nobody can pin point anything on any one..except a user error for now.</p>