Help Cleaning Pollen from Lens Element

ds_meador

<p>Hello there! I hope someone can help me wiht this. I accidently touched the front element of my EF 24 2.8 to a hibiscus today. I got pollen on the front element. How is the best way to clean this off without damaging the lens coating?<br>

Thanks for your help.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Try to find a lens cleaning fluid that has ethyl alcohol or methyl alcohol as its base, this should be safe on your lens. Use either proper lens tissues or lint free cloth and make sure there is no dust on either the cloth or lens. There are a number of cleaning fluids out there, check your local dealer, they should also be able to advise you on cleaning the lens. Most modern multicoatings are fairly durable so you should be able to clean your lens.</p>

<p>As Tony has noted, modern lens multicoatings are quite durable.</p>

<p>Blow as much of the pollen off as possible with a blower bulb. Then use a lens cleaning fluid with a microfiber cloth or lens tissue to gently clean the element. Start in the middle and work outwards in a gentle circular motion.</p>

<p>Got any vodka in the cupboard? Seriously, it makes an excellent lens cleaning solution, and it does not evaporate quickly (which just leaves a residue behind). Put a few drops on your lens tissue or microfiber cloth, clean as above, dry the lens element with another clean tissue or corner of your lens cloth. Works like a charm. I have a little 50ml bottle on my shelf for just this very purpose.</p>

<p>For best results, don't drink the remaining vodka until *after* you have cleaned your lens. :-)</p>

<p>Thank you both for your help!<br>

I live in Brazil, so the vodka may be easier to find than the lens cleaning fluid.<br>

I really appreciate the help! I know when I need photography help the photonet community is the first place to turn.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>I would not recommend Vodka because it isn't pure. Once it drys it will leave a residue. If you don't remove the residue it will make flair problems dramatically worse. Most lens or sensor cleaning fluids ar nothing more than <em>pure</em> alcohol. Methanol, Ethanol, or Isopropyl Alcohol are the most common. Once your done cleaning the fluid simply evaporates leaving no residue. You can frequently find small bottles of isopropyl alcohol in pharmacy. Or if you have a sensor cleaning kit the fluid in the kit would work</p>

<p>Rubbing alcohol or Isopropyl alcohol is usually 70% pure. You can pay a little more and get the 99% version. I've found even the 99% version leaves plenty of difficult to remove residue. I've had better luck cleaning lenses and filters with wet CMOS cleaners. They hardly leave any residue.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter