Help choosing a manual non-battery light meter...

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by peadar_ceiteach, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Kindly share your thoughts regarding whether or not you would go with the new
    (and new cell type) Sekonic Studio Master III, or buy a slightly less expensive
    selenium based SM II. I just don't know enough about meters to make a good
    decision. Thanks for the help. PC
    I'm using a Canon IIIa -

2. What about a Weston Master III or V? Or if you change your mind and are willing to countenance a battery, the Voigtlander accessory shoe meters work very well and look nice with vintage cameras.

3. I have been using the Sekonic L398 Studio Deluxe since about 1980. After 25 years of rugged use and neglect, I replaced my first one with a newer one last year. Despite the old-school selenium cell technology I have found it to be one of the easiest to use and versatile meters I have used. The Gossen Luna-Pros I have also owned provide a better low light capability but require batteries, are a bit larger, don't have the swivel head of the Sekonic, and seem more prone to breakage.

There are cheaper non-battery meters out there but the L-398 was designed for professional use and still is an excellent tool.

4. I'd second the L-398. I actually use a digital meter most of the time, but always carry and older L-398 in the bottom of my camera bag. It always works. I'm not sure it's not bullet proof. Gossen used to make some great manual meters that were well built; I just don't know the model numbers anymore.

5. I use a Metrophot selenium exposure meter on the hotshoe of my Leica IIIc.

6. The Gossen Pilot 2 is a great small meter. No battery, very accurate. Reflected or incident readings.

7. The Weston Master V is what I prefer. I have two of them "just in case".