mrs_h

Equipment: Canon G2 and zoombrowser on my computer. Memory card is same age as

computer.

I'm a beginner.

Camera worked fine last week.

Yesterday I filled up my memory card and 4 hours later I started deleting some

photos. After deleting 4 of them the LCD flashed "CF card error." I stopped,

turn the camera on to take 4 new pictures, but the camera read zero shots

left. I should have had 4 from the ones I deleted.

When I got home and tried to download the pictures, I got a message box that

said "no memory card, insert...."

a. how do I get the pictures out of the camera and into the computer? Is there

a way just using the computer? If there is does that "empty" the memory card

and I can't try anything else if it doesn't work?

b. What possible things could have happened to cause a CF card error reading?

c. what possible things would cause the camera to read full and the computer

to tell me there was no memory card in the camera?

Thanks,

Mrs. H.

Hi mrs H,

I Posted a similar problem before, the difference is , I used a 350d with a 3 month old Lexar cf card. That card was then replaced by the store , under warranty, but prior to that, the card was tested by me and by the store on several computers and cameras, and it still cant be read.

I think your card is defective already. no software can rescue the images on your card, cause the softwares that the recover the images , work only on a non defective card. but , if someone here knew better, correct me , if I'm wrong.

I think replacement of card is neccessary.

By the way, May we know the brand and model of your card?

Hi Mrs H

What brand of CF card were you using?

Did you try and take out the CF card when it was deleting?

In answering question b, anything like exposure to heat etc can damage the card. So, if its heat affected from the sun,then you have pretty much damaged the card... (something like when you damage film to sun and the images come out magenta).

Also, if you havent formated your cf card before the first use, it can cause problems.

Emily

The reason the camera said "Card Full" even after you 'deleted' the 4 shots is because they weren't really, physically gone yet. Thus, their space was still allocated by the OS.

I assume you were using a card reader to download onto the PC? If so, a corruption may have occurred which causes the PC not to see the card (and caused the CARD ERROR message on your G2).

Hi Everyone,

My card is a Canon CompactFlash Card FC-32M.

The card was not removed, nor card holder area opened.

To Giampi- I'm not sure what a card reader is. All I do is plug the cord that is attached to a USB port into the camera, turn the dial to the right and wait for zoombrowser to come up on my computer.

When I turn on the LCD screen, I can see a few of the pictures. IF I keep "clicking" I eventually get the CF card error message on a black screen.

Does this mean things are corrupted [whatever that implies]. IF so, is there nothing out there that can recover pics from a problem like this?

To Emily- sorry for the ignorance, but I don't know if the card was formated. I would only have done so, if there were instructions telling me to do it. I bought the camera the 2nd year after the G2 came out and do not recall.

First very carefully clean the card with a non- linting material, like a camera or eye glass lens cloth. Just give it a couple firm swipes, not a swirley rub. If that doesn't work, do it again with a spot of rubbing achol. If it still won't give you your pictures then the pics are unacessable and you must put the card back in the camera and re-format the card from the camera menu if you want to use it again. I've had cards do the same from time to time. Never yet tho had to throw away a card.

All is not lost. You should get yourself a CF card reader if your computer doesn't have one built in (many recent models already do). They can easily be bought for a few dollars from a store that sells cameras or computer accessories and plug into a USB port on your computer. I'd also buy yourself a new CF card - an e.g. 256 MB card is inexpensive these days - buy a well known brand such as Sandisk or Lexar - and it will allow you to store many more images before you need to download to the PC. The new card will also allow you to test that you have got the card reader working properly. With many card readers they are "plug and play", so all you should need to do is plug it in and put the new card in the reader, and then click on "My Computer" and it will be listed as e.g. Drive E: (your computer hard disk will be Drive C: and you may also have a DVD or CD listed as Drive D:).

Look in your camera instructions for how to change CF cards. Take the old one out, put the new one in, and then follow the instructions to format the new card in the camera. Take a couple of pictures, take the new card out of the camera, and put it in the card reader. You should be able to get to the pictures via My Computer, or using Zoombrowser (you may need to tell Zoombrowser to use the card reader as the source of pictures rather than the camera. If that works, then you know that the camera was still saving images before your problem arose.

The next stage is to get some image rescue/photo recovery software - many options can be found with a Google search. Some versions even offer a free trial. Download the software to your PC, and follow the instructions to install and run it. Hopefully it will be able to recover most, if not all of the images (including the deleted ones). Recovery programs also usually allow the card to be tested to see if it still works properly. However, I think I'd ditch the old card as it has given you problems. One advantage of getting the card reader (apart from being able to use rescue software) is that you will find that your pictures download much faster than from the camera.

>>I'm not sure what a card reader is.<<

Ah! Then, this may solve your current problem as well as any future image transfer issues:

A card reader is just what the name suggests, a device that attaches to your computer via USB or Firewire cable. You take the card out of the camera (with the camera tunred OFF) and then, you can simply COPY or MOVE the images from the CF card to a folder of your chosing on your computer. Just like copying/moving files from one drive to another.

I strongly suggest you get a card reader and use it instead of pluggin a USB cable into the camera.

Monday Morning--- HI.

I tried going to My Computer, finiding the PowerShot G2 listed and double clicked. A listing of all 29 pics are there. I tried copying them to a folder; the last 4 pics copied. The remainder copied their number but there was a broken picture symbol and no pic.

I tried downloading PC Inspepctor Smart Recovery. It requests I select a device [a, c d, e] But it appears that the G2 is not on those drives. How to use the program if I can't find the camera?

Now what?

MRS H,

I suggest you buy another card and worry about the defective card later. Cause you might miss some photographic opportunities if you wait for the problem to be solve.

Just avoid Lexar cards, as I'm not the only one who has bad experience with it.

Mrs H, you're on the right track if you've downloaded software. But you'll need the card reader. A camera may not show up as a drive letter (sounds like yours doesn't), but the card reader will.

I'm not sure how critical the pictures are to you, but if they are, don't give up yet.

Card readers are inexpensive (~$25), don't need power, and make it much easier to use the cards.

I'm not sure there are "good" and "bad" brands. I'd stick with a name brand, but these things are mass-produced, inexpensive, and occasionally one acts up.