Help an m6 newbie out

jeffery_pool

Hey,

I've settled on the purchase of an M6 for a small unobtrusive camera. I am in

the process of looking for lenses, and even though I'm fairly certain I will

be using the M system for the rest of my life, I can't bring myself to pay

$2500 and upwards for new lenses that I know can be bought used for much less.

My problem is this: Every time I search on ebay or even keh.com, I am

bombarded with so many different versions of the same lens that I don't know

what to look for!

Specifically I want a 28mm , a 50mm, and a 90mm, perhaps a 135 in the future

if I find I need it. I was pretty set on buying a VC 28mm 1.9 , a VC 50mm 1.5

and a leica 90mm f2, but I had to change my mind because I realized that the

VC 50mm 1.5 min focus distance is 3 feet. I already know that I will have to

get used to the smaller close focussing distances with rangefinders but I

would like to get to 2.3 feet with 50mm lens.

On the 90mm lens, I was looking at an old used Leica Summicron 90mm F2 but on

a quick lookup, I've read that some versions are dogs, and some are great. I

have no idea what I'm looking at and wouldn't mind an f2.8 if it means lighter

and better quality glass.

As far as the 28mm goes, I see that the VC 28mm 1.9 and a LTM to M adaptor has

the same min. focus distance as the leica versions, is a great price, and is

in it's own right, a great lens.

I don't mind paying the big bucks, but when I can save a ton of money on a

lens that is used or a VC that is rated highly, I will. I would like to keep

the lens kit under $2500-$3000.

Any advise on the lenses?

Jeffery,

Check these sites out:

http://www.kbcamera.com/mreviews.htm

http://www.popflash.com/list.cfm for Zeiss M mount lenses.

I had the 50mm collapsible cron and really liked it but it was damaged and bought a 50 rigid cron (39mm filter) off this forum. I think this lens is perfect for black and white photography and it is pretty cheap used. If you want to get closer you can try the Dual Range summicron. I don't have any experience with it but have heard that it focuses closer than a normal cron.

I also have the first version of the 90 elmarit (39mm filter) and find the image quality is very good. My lens is a bit rough looking and the focusing is a bit stiff but it still shoots great. Cheap too. I have seen some excellent shots by others with the 90 macro elmar, close focusing with a compact lens (f4 though). Seems like it could be a good walkaround lens.

Leica has a new lens, the 28mm elmarit Asph. It may be above your budget but it has been well recieved by others. I don't have it so can't specifically comment on the quality.

Rangefinder and close focus work do not go together well. The viso flex was made for it with the proper lenses, focus mounts, and adapters

The 50mm Dual Range Summicron will get to 19 inches or 7x10 imch area. Most everything else is much longer. You will need the eyes to get from standard focus to 19 in. Do not buy without the eyes.

The current 90 4.0 macro Elmar goes to 1:7, ie 7x10 again. Then there is the adapter to get to 1:3. It performs well in close range, but some other 90`s do not including the last two Summicrons. But if you want a 90 2.0 Leica, the next to last version is ok. Mine goes a little under 1 meter.

In general, high speed lenses and good close focus performance (resolution) are mutually exclusive until you get a 75 Summicron. That is your whole budget.

I am not an expert on 28mm. but am happy with my 28 2.8 version 3 using 49mm filters. Version 4 using 46mm is a little better at 2.8

Thanks for the info.

To clarify, the reason I won't get the VC 50mm 1.5 is the fact that I just know that there will be shots where I would be wishing I could focus to 2.3 feet instead of 3. Being able to focus closely is not a big deal, and I don't care for using goggle adaptors and that kinda stuff. I just mentioned it to say why I won't get the 50mm 1.5 VC.

IMO, you are on the right track. The VC lenses are, for the most part, equals to Leica lenses two or three generations back - they're a good buy.

As to 90mm Leica lenses, there really are no "dogs" per se. But the older Summicrons are heavy and as a result they are hard to sell. Be aware too of fog, fungus, and haze in older lenses.

So for now your best bet it to buy new VC lenses. Watch for a slew of new M-mount versions of current models - to be released soon.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra