Hello from Pennsylvania-USA

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by lensandlumen, Mar 8, 2010.

1. I am an “amateur enthusiast” in digital photography. I was attracted to Photo.Net by the informative tutorials and by the high quality of the images that I saw posted here. Some other photo sites that I have been involved with are either too big and impersonal, or too simplistic and “nicey”.
    I am looking for an intimate community of “serious” photographers who can offer me useful suggestions on how to improve my work, and I think that Photo.Net may be exactly that. I’m looking forward to getting to know you folks.
    This is a shot of me being a serious photograph.
    [​IMG]

2. Hello, and welcome to Photo.net, John. I think you'll find this a great place to learn and get good information from many folks here. I know I have.

3. Welcome to Photo.net. This is a great site.

4. Hello, John - Ditto on the welcomes you've been getting. Now, you do own a flak jacket, don't you? ;-)
    Tom M
    Washington, DC

5. Thanks for the welcomes
    I have built some level of ego-calluses, and I don’t mind being told that I stink, because it is probably true. I am rather hoping to hear that from some really good photographers however, and to get some constructive suggestions on how to improve at the same time.
    Thanks
    JD

6. Hi John, actually, I was exaggerating for fun when I made the crack about flak jackets. Actually, most of the interactions on this forum are quite well-mannered, courteous and appropriate. In my experience, there are relatively few people active on photo.net whose aesthetic or technical points of view must not to be questioned. :)
    BTW, that was a great self-portrait that you posted. You are obviously not a newbie at things photographic. It seems like it took me forever just to figure out how to work around photo.net's automatic reblurring (...whoops, I meant re-sizing) algorithm, and you nailed it on your first posting. BTW, did you ever try that shot with a dark background?
    Cheers,
    Tom M.

7. ...maybe something along these lines?
    00VxKV-227489584.jpg