Hello from Derbyshire, UK

oliver_hardy

<p>Hi</p>

<p>Like I said I from a place called Chesterfield which is in Derbyshire and in the UK. The only thing about Chesterfield is it has a crooked spire , one which has been photographed many many times.</p>

<p>Anyway enough about where I live. I'm in my late 50s and have health issues and cannot walk far at all. So most of my photography is done close to where I can get with transport or my scooter. which is a god send. My history in photography started when I was in my late teens and grew to a stage where I was doing wedding photography And this was around 3 to 6 weddings a month.It got to a stage where I had to think seriously about giving up my full time job and concentrate on photography full time. But being in my 20s money was a driving factor and my main job was a very well paid job which made the decision quite hard. and even though was doing all those weddings and other assignments in the week (for which I was using my holidays) The money did not cover what I needed to move over full-time. I still kick myself to this day That I did not risk it and take a chance. But hey that's water under the bridge. also I may have still had my health you never know. Also back then our third bedroom was fully converted into a large dark room with running water and the whole she-bang LOL. But has I had not gone down the photo route the wife wanted the bedroom back So the darkroom was stripped and most of it sold.</p>

<p>So back to today I still take photos and carry my camera in the car. The only thing different from back in the day is iv changed supplier. That is instead of Cannon and the Eos brand I'm now using Nikon gear. The current Nikon kit was bought back when I sold my 345 Bronica and Metz flash wedding photo set up.And at the time I got a new D70s with 50-105 lens kit and a new 80-200 F2.8. ED Zoom lens which is super. Iv added to the kit over the years but never bought a new body as I look after my gear and still after all the years its like nearly mew. That said it is time that I need a upgrade in the amount of pixels so am going to buy a D7200 That being as I need the DX version to run my one and only best lens the 80-200 F2.8 id like to go to the 800 but cannot justify the outlay for just hobby work. Plus thats not all that I am looking to upgrade to or do.</p>

<p>The other things are I would like to get a A4/A3 printer and get it set up with CISS and finaly the one im most looking forward to even though iv not worked out how why or where im going to get it set up or even it the gear is still out there to be able to get it set up.. And that is Id like a small dark room just for Black and white. Film and prints of course. I know from previously what I need and its better in the fact that there are a lot less bits and the enlarger can be a lot less technical and so on. But as yet the only place I can think of is the brick built shed that is attached to the house. Its already blacked out as I did not want people seeing whet I had in. That being a full workshop including a lathe a miller and a Vinyal cutter. My feeling is due to my health I can no longer use the machinery I have. So my thinking is the sale of my gear should more than pay for a dark room set up with quite a lump left over for supplies. </p>

<p>Anyway enough of my rambling on and on. I will see who gets back to me regarding the new darkroom set up The only thing is the shed is single brick so its quite cold?. So would need to be looked into. Also the colour photo printer with CISS set up if anyone is into or doing anything like this then please get in-touch..</p>

<p>Best regards Oli</p>

<p>P.S. Sorry for going on & on<br>

</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi. If your brick shed can be made comfortable (good flooring, ventilation (passive ventilation light tight louvres are OK), heat source in winter and to regulate the temperature, dust free or easy to wash down walls and tables before working, good lighting for print viewing - you only need to blacken the walls adjacent to your enlarger) it may be a very pleasurable activity for you. A good stool is good to sit on when the print session is long. </p>

<p>As you already had a darkroom you will know which equipment you may need, and today of course used darkroom equipment can be a bargain. Keeping dry areas and wet areas separate is important and any lack of water can be overcome by using bottled water (12 L water bottles with tap are available where I live) and temporary holding tanks (If you use resin coated paper you shouldn't leave prints in water for more than 5 minutes or they may separate the resin film from the underlying paper; fibre base is OK for much longer periods) can be used until you transfer the wet prints to your home for finishing of the print washing (where, of course, you can also prepare your solutions).</p>

<p>Welcome and good luck. </p>