Hello Everyone

robert_kerr1

<p>Hi there everyone,</p>

<p>I'm new to the forums and would like to say hello to everyone. I'm currently doing a massive digital archiving project with my old family photos, some of which date as far back as to the 1890's. I'm using an Epson V800 and a 2011 Macbook Air and have read-up a lot on scanning, although I'm still green when it comes to actually scanning my slides and film. Do you guys have any helpful tips to share?</p>

<p>Also I'm a huge fan of early colour photographs and stereographs, and wish to recreate some of them one day.</p>

<p>Hi Robert, welcome to Photo.net</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . massive digital archiving project with my old family photos, some of which date as far back as to the 1890's. I'm using an Epson V800 and a 2011 Macbook Air and have read-up a lot on scanning, although I'm still green when it comes to actually scanning my slides and film. <strong>Do you guys have any helpful tips to share?</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Here are the results of my using the 'search' function in the Digital Darkroom Forum, the key words I used were "scanning negs and slides":</p>

<p><a href="/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=scanning+negs+and+slides+inurl%3A%2Fdigital-darkroom-forum%2F&qx=scanning+negs+and+slides&sa=Search+This+Forum">http://www.photo.net/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=scanning+negs+and+slides+inurl%3A%2Fdigital-darkroom-forum%2F&qx=scanning+negs+and+slides&sa=Search+This+Forum</a></p>

<p><br /> If you have subsequent specific questions then the Digital Darkroom Forum would be the best place to ask those.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Welcome to the forum, Robert.<br /><br />My biggest advice on scanning is to keep all of those prints, negatives and slides after you've scanned them. You can hold those 1890s photos up to the light and see what they are. But the files you create by scanning them today will likely be useless to your grandchildren in 2090. The grandkids wll have no idea what is on little silver DVD discs or thumb drives let alone have any way to open the files. Hang on to the originals, and the grandkids can both look at them directly and re-scan them to whatever technology arrives a century from now. Use today's scans to avoid uncessarily handling and damaging the originals.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Welcome to Photo.net! My advice would be to maintain at least two copies of everything you scan (in separate locations). I'm sure that there are many here, including myself, who have learned the hard way that creating a regular backup will save you major headaches in the future.</p>

<p>Very interesting to read your post as I am sitting here doing <em>exactly</em> the same thing you describe: scanning hundreds of old negatives with an Epson V850. For what its worth, I gave up on the Epson scanning software and moved to Silverfast 8.5 -- far more efficient for scanning/correcting large numbers of negatives. Beyond that, I'll follow the tips that others have provided here.</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>Hiiii alll...Hearty welcome to join photo.net forum. This is Yasmin from Chennai. I am really happy to be part of photo.net forum..Here I would like to share something useful about freshers who wanted career counselling, please visit this website. <a href="http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/qtp-training-in-chennai.html">QTP Training in Chennai</a></p>