Hello everyone :)

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by megan_b|2, Mar 6, 2010.

1. I'm Megan, new to this site and to photography in general. I've been interested in photography for a while, taking snapshots with my Nikon Coolpix. I've recently decided to expand my interest and get a 35mm camera...trying to find one that is best for beginners. My other interests are art and writing, have been doing those for a couple years. Not a while, but I'm only 15 :p So that's me, I look forward to meeting everyone.

2. riz

riz

Hi Megan,
    Good luck and you have a vast canvas of life to paint and enjoy.
    Have a great life!
    Riz.

3. hey megan, that's great that you are starting early. i don't know what sort of 35mm camera you are looking for, but older manual models could be a good option....they are extremely inexpensive these days and would kind of force you to get the whole aperture/shutter speed thing figured out if you haven't gotten it already. i have a couple of my dad's old all manual cameras from the '70s and they still work fine. let us know if you need any help.

4. Greetings! If you can find a decent DSLR for cheap, may I recommend you get that rather than a 35mm? It will be a bit more expensive in the short term, but it will pay for itself (so to speak) in a few months. I think digital is probably more suited to beginners than film is.
    For example, old Nikon pro bodies like D100s and D1Xs can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. Other brands would be about the same, depending on how far back you go.
    Whichever you decide, you certainly can get great lenses for not that much money. There is a lot of experience on this forum so ask away.
    All of the above is IMHO!