Heliar or Skopar lens on Bessa RF/II

robert loop

<p>Has somebody made a concrete real on the field comparison between the results to be seen (not only a priori<br>

"one is more expensive and with more elements so it is much better" ). Tell me please about concrete experience.<br>

Is the skopar more with a Tmax look and the Heliar with a Tri X look ? <br>

Is the bookeh different ?<br>

Is Skopar sharper ?<br>

I'd like to hear from the friends / expert here on Photo net !!!</p>

<p>BEST WISHES 2009 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>

Robert</p>

<p>Condition is everything with old folder cameras. The lens matters not such much as proper alignment, calibration and issues-freeness (is that even a word in English?). Therefore it is really hard to compare these lenses with objective standards. I have never heard of a scientific test that measured MTF etc. of these old lenses.</p>

<p>And it is funny to see all this obsession about the vintage 5-element lenses (which get top prices due to their rareness and mythical image quality) when even the "lowest of the low" modern standard lenses have a superior, 6-element design with excellent multi-coating.</p>

<p>The point above on condition is the critical one. I have two of these cameras, one with a Skopar one with a Vaskar. The Skopar seems a tiny amount sharper than the Vaskar (although I can not be certain). What I am certain of is that the alighment of the Skopar on the RF is not 100% paralell to the film plane. This results in strange blur on one side of the image when focused to infinity or if focused closer than infinity things on the left (at say 10 meters) being perfect and the right being focused on infinity.</p>

<p>I recommend you pay less than the 'collectors' who dream about the myths of folders and enjoy a low priced 120 film camera which is light and more carry-able than the beautiful and functional (and expensive) Mamiya 7 or Fuji GW range.</p>

• 7 months later...
<p>The Soviets continued to make folders up to the 1960's with the Iskra and The Moskow series. The Industar lenses developed for these cameras were copies of the Tessar and Heliar (on the Iskra) they were designed and made by engineers from Jena and can be bought at a fraction of the price. Also they have modern coatings (in comparison) I have a pre war Heliar, Tessar, Xenar and Vaskar and non of then come close to the quality of the Industars. I've even substituted an industar on my Zeis Ikon Super Ikonta with a very satifying improvment.</p><div>00UHyL-167089584.jpg.22670f28dd8c89519ca58ec2cef4a4a2.jpg</div>

• 9 months later...
<p>I have had Bessa II cameras with Heliar or Skopar lenses and I feel that (together with my experience with Bessa 66 and Perkeo II cameras with these lenses) I can generalize a bit. First, it is highly improbable that the Vascar lens can perform anywhere near these two designs. I had only one, but it was not particularly sharp and afflicted with low contrast and image detail fall off. Second, the Skopar lens is somewhat like the Tessar except it is sharpest in the center of the format and the Tessar is sharpest just about 1/4 format to the sides of the center. I prefer the Skopar for this reason. The Heliar is sharper than either, especially toward the corners. At f/22 these lenses are equal. Yes, alignment and proper shimming to achieve perfect agreement with the rangefinder is imperative. I do not feel that the Soviet cameras are as good as the Bessa II. And they are heavier without accompanying precision. The Heliars I have had (still have 3) have all been excellent performers. Both uncoated pre war and fifties with their blue coatings. The uncoated ones are unique in their moderate loss of contrast. They need a lens hood at all times. If you like that low contrast look, then they are the only way to go. I have mounted some on Technika boards and used them and the results mirror what I have seen on the Bessa IIs (and RFs). Film flatness hasn't been an issue with my cameras, but lens spacing has with two of them. Not hard to correct in any event. The cameras are very compact for a 6x9 format and are easy to use (for an old goat like me). I don't even use a meter except for interior and night/evening takes. Faster imaging than with digital or auto focus film-just pop open and shoot having pre focused and set the shutter. There are few better street cameras and the pride of ownership is palpable. Just walk down the street with one and you will have folks asking questions. Oh, by the way, these folks are converted from inquirers to photo subjects in the demonstration of how to use one of these gems. Bessa III is also a nice camera and the lens is very good indeed. Not better than the Heliar though and the look is different with its multi coatings. Also expensive. </p>