heat wave looking for advice from folks in hot climates

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by shawn_mertz, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Up North we are not used to 100 degree temps. I'm sure there are many of us thinking about how to get through tomorrow. Obviously we need to drink more water and not wear our usual black suit etc.
    What about the equipment? Is it okay to leave digital cameras laptops etc. in a parked car? Any advice for protecting gear and ourselves from heat.

2. Crack those windows on the car - it will make the difference between 100F and 130F+ in the car.

I use a large modern cooler (the kind that can keep ice cold for days, even in the summer). No ice or anything, but I take it out of the house right before getting into the car, and the camera bags/laptop/etc go right in. With the lid closed, and with all of that good insulating power, the gear in the cooler will remain much less hot than the rest of the car.

And of course I've learned from a somewhat funny tip article I read years ago, and use a piece of masking tape and a large marker to label the cooler "Orangutan Fecal Samples" in big letters. Who's going to break into a car to steal that?

3. I've worked some really hot weddings, no jacket of course, lots of water, don't leave anything except stands or tripods in
    the car. I find eating some salted pretzels throughout the day helps me along. Also think about going from cooler air
    conditioned environments to hot your lenses and even camera could fog up. Caution is the word.

4. Up North we are not used to 100 degree temps. I'm sure there are many of us thinking about how to get through tomorrow. Obviously we need to drink more water and not wear our usual black suit etc.​
    I have lived in Texas most of my life. Last year I think we had about 70 days where the temp got to 100° F or over — sometimes way over. I have never "gotten used to" the heat. Maybe some people do but I think most people just learn how to live with it. The folks who have to work outside (construction workers, yard folks, farmers etc) get out as early as possible when the heat is most bearable.
    Drink lots of water. Lots. Avoid alcohol. Stay in the shade. Try to get to A/C if you can by visiting a shopping mall, movie theater, etc. Get a good fan and sit in front of it when you can.
    Take a shower in the afternoon, or go outside, soak yourself with a hose, and sit in the shade.
    What about the equipment? Is it okay to leave digital cameras laptops etc. in a parked car?​
    I don't leave cameras, iPads, laptops and such in the car, if the car is in parked the sun. A closed car in the hot sun becomes an oven. I don't know for sure that a short time in the hot car would do damage. I doubt it although I try not to test it. I do leave CDs in the car and have never noticed any bad effects.
    As for using equipment in the heat, that I do. It worry about. I was shooting for the Dallas Arboretum on Fathers Day weekend last year, in the afternoons. Temps were way over 100 and I had a lousy weekend because it was too hot for people to come to the Arboretum. I stayed in the shade and my equipment survived just fine. I lost 10 lbs but the cameras lenses and flashes were fine.
    Good luck.
    Will

5. Temperatures inside a hot car parked under full sun can exceed 130 degrees so delicate electronics like cameras and laptops in a hot car is generally not a good idea.
    If it's unavoidable, I would at least park the car in the shade and keep gear sealed in a Ziploc bag or wrapped in bath towels then placed in a Styrofoam picnic cooler. For longer duration, you can add a small reusable ice pack (the Ziploc bag will protect against condensation).
    Alternatively, you can wrap the small reusable ice pack in a bath towel to soak up condensation. The idea is to create a differential temperature sufficient to protect the photography gear.
    On the other hand, car radios, GPS and touch screens devices built into cars are not protected; just something to consider.

6. Lots of good advice here. I use the cooler when I have to leave gear in the car. One thing to keep in mind is to begin hydrating long before you get thirsty. If you wait until that happens, you're playing catch-up.

7. I agree with Luis re: hydration. This is the one that can be dangerous if not constantly attended to, so keep on it. Start
    hydrating he day before - pile on a lot of water throughout the day before, it does help. But make sure you know where to
    get water throughout the day. You'll also be burning a lot more energy, so make sure you're eating slow burning foods,
    stay away from sugary cr!p and caffeine. Good luck, and have fun!

8. We use insulated bags for gear, you don't want to overheat batteries/digital sensors.
    I do wear black on any day, but just a light shirt and slacks, not a suit. Water, water and water.

9. Besides the great advice already given... if the B&G want to shoot outside on location, we keep a camera in the car for just that part of the day. I want a camera & lens that is already acclimated to the heat. I don't want to move from cold AC, to the heat and start shooting with the same camera and lens. We do block off (shade) our car windows (as well as crack them open a bit). We also take some battery operated fans to help out. And reflectors not only help with available light, they make great fans as well. I usually take a change of clothes. That's good advice regardless, but on really hot days shooting outside, I will use my change of clothes! It is a very good idea to know the location you are shooting. If the location doesn't have shade, suggest another location. And have a plan. Don't "wing-it" on location. Know the shots everyone wants. Know the priority. Get them done.

10. "Is it okay to leave digital cameras laptops etc. in a parked car? "

Bottom line, don't leave your gear in the hot car. Never!

Even worse, don't crack down the windows a tiny bit. If you are not around to watch the car, your gear won't be around either. People love taking cameras and laptops.

Coolers may be your best option. Don't add ice unless your cameras are waterproof :}

I carry all of my gear. Nothing is left alone.

11. thanks for the advice. My event wasn't a wedding and steps were taken by the organizers to cut down on exposure to the afternoon sun. So the problem for me was what to do for the 6 hour break. I went the route of storing cameras etc in a cooler.

12. I carry all of my gear. Nothing is left alone.​
    Bob, what gear do you typically carry throughout the day? I mean if you carry all your gear, you couldn't be carrying that much gear, could you?