Heading for Switzerland?

Could be an experiment to bolster tourism. A story I saw mentioned that now everyone is talking about the small town. It also quotes the town's tourism director as saying, "The whole story is not finished yet. By Friday evening everyone will know what the idea was behind this law. It's a surprise."
David H

Could be an experiment to bolster tourism. A story I saw mentioned that now everyone is talking about the small town. It also quotes the town's tourism director as saying, "The whole story is not finished yet. By Friday evening everyone will know what the idea was behind this law. It's a surprise."

It is a marketing gimmick to generate some buzz!

The scoop is they're getting Kevin Bacon, who's been brushing up on his German, to reprise his roll as Ren McCormack, updated so he's now a somewhat past middle-aged photographer instead of a young and studly dancer, in a new Swiss movie called Fingerlose! The town will slowly and begrudgingly come around to seeing the inherent value in tourist photos. Instead of those glorious dancing in the street numbers there will be bunches of fifty-somethings giving audiences the finger . . . shutter finger that is. ;-)
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Good point, Sandy. I've seen similar signs at the entrance to reservations in New Mexico. The difference is that the residents of that Swiss village probably welcome tourists and rely on them for income, to some extent, while many Navajo, Hopi and other tribes prefer that the biligaana don't intrude on their privacy in residential areas...

Actually, have never gone to a pueblo just to avoid intruding. As a matter of fact, after this sign, I put the cameras away till we were off the Reservation. My Dad who went to Europe often, both for business & pleasure had a comment on visiting Switzerland. Very nice people and remarkably scenic, excellent food -- you will never get cheated, but rarely get a bargain.

Only the US has the First Amendment, which limits the government rather than describing a privilege granted by the same. Switzerland is more advanced than other European countries in having the equivalent of the Second Amendment (still a privilege, not a right), but it's a good start.

The Supreme Court has ruled that tribal regulations apply only to its members, not to US citizens in general, nor even to members of other tribes. They can enforce state and some federal laws. If they confiscate something illegally, it can take a long time to get it back, considering everyone in their legal system is related.

If I can't take photos, they don't want my money either, nor my patronage. I'm driving on through.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

• 2 weeks later...

There is a common belief in the English speaking world that Germans (and I take the liberty to extend that to all native German speakers), don't have a sense of humor. There is a kernel of truth in that, but it's more like the German sense of humor is a little different than the English, and maybe more importantly, if you want to 'get it', you need to understand German!

If you did, it would be blatantly obvious to you from that sign that the whole affair is a brilliant joke! The alleged reason for the ban is that photos of the village posted on social media could make people unhappy who can't be there at that point in time. OK, it's not as funny as anything John Cleese has ever said, but even if you are not German, or Swiss, you can't take that seriously! They announced it on Facebook! Also, the fine is five Swiss Francs, which is ridiculously low. That will barely buy you a muffin anywhere in Switzerland! And all money from the fine goes to hundred percent into environmental protection of the Alps. Plus they said it's unlikely they will actually enforce the law.

It's a joke, people! It's a joke - and a marketing trick, and a pretty good one at that!

That might be the most interesting part of this thread. Maybe people don't get the joke, because in today's America, it is totally within the realm of possibilities that a ban like this could be enforced. Do Americans no longer understand how far fetched this idea is to people in Switzerland?