Head unit envy

belinda_johnson1

<p>Not so much a question but I thougt I would relate about my trip to te local camera store.</p>

<p>On the weekend I went to a local camera store to have a look at the 5D MkII in preperation to buying one (probably get my parents to get it duty free on the way back from there holiday in about 3 weeks).</p>

<p>Anyhow I also looked at a few other cameras to get an idea whats in my price range. Then on a whim I had a look at the 1D MkIV - so far out of my budget range to be laughable. Now I want one, though not as high MP it is certainly a very very very nice piece of kit. Oh well by the time I can afford that something else will be out.</p>

<p>Well, the 1D III and IV are not full frame. Serious full frame contenders to the 5D II, that are built like the 1D bodies, are a used Canon 1DsII or used 1DsIII. </p>

<p>Now you have to ask yourself what it is about the 1D IV that you find intriguing, and if there is another more affordable camera that provides similar features?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I intend to purchase a 5D Mk II soon - decision made!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is what you wrote on Aug.19/11. What are the three most important features you want from a DSLR that would stand out from everything else and not land yourself into months of debt? Do you have enough photography assignments scheduled to justify a 1D IV?</p>

<p>Belinda, the 1 series cameras have a nice feel to them, no doubt. Part of that feel is due to their balance and heft.<br />You might want to mount a battery grip to a 5DII and see how that feels. With the added battery and bulk, the camera will feel more substantial and far better balanced-plus you will be extending battery life/shooting time. I use them all of the time on my 7D/60D. Aftermarket grips are inexpensive relative to branded ones and work just as well in most cases.</p>

<p>The 1D series bodies have quite different strengths and weaknesses than the 5D2. Moving to a 1D4 from a 5D2 could as easily be a downgrade in terms of performance for your particular needs as it could be an upgrade. </p>

<p>The biggest and most expensive thing is not always the best thing for your particular needs. </p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Peter I am not going to be getting one any time soon. Already transfered the $ to my parents to pick up the 5DMkII from duty free for me. Just commenting how easy it is to get carried away with photography.</p>

<p>Like I said I didn't do research on the 1DMkIV so did not know enough about it anyway - for example I did not know the was not a full sensor.<br>

Features I want: Hard to put top 3 so here is a general list - Magnesium Alloy Body, Canon Brand (I have access to a lot of Canon lenses I can borrow), Full Size Sensor, High ISO (Greater than 1600), More than one Progamable Mode, etc.</p>

<p>Hugs<br>

Belinda</p>

<p>I bought the 1DIIN and decided that I would not buy another 1D body but wait until the 1D and 1Ds converged. The problem with the 1D series is that you have a 1.3 crop and thus lose wide angles. The APS-C bodys do not have the same limitation as there are wide lenses available for them. For professional sports use then the 1D is the way to go but for me the 7D works fine. I miss the 1 series handling having had a row of EOS 1 series bodys (from the 1N to the 1DIIN) and even the T90 that came before them.<br>

The features I miss on my 5DII are the viewfinder blind, buttons instead of the silly dial, multi-spot metering, slower frame rate and inferior AF. That said I do not miss the extra size of the 1 series bodys. While my 1NRS was the same size as my 1DIIN (and the other 1 series bodys) both of my 1Vs can be configured to the same size as the 5DII if you do not need 10fps.</p>

<p>Why would one want a huge, heavy (tho not as much, but still) expensive camera with a really impractical 1.3 crop? No wide lenses (like on a FF) and no EF-S lenses (like on a crop camera).</p>

<p>Nah. Unless you're really after a really rugged and fast sports camera for situations where the crop comes handy, no, 1D is not the right series for everyone. Even the cheaper 7D is way more universal, smaller and gives some good performance.</p>

<p>Alex,</p>

<p>That comment is so off base, you have obviously never used a 1 series camera. The 1D with its 1.3 crop can be used by many more than sports photographers, just look at the work of people like Jeff Ascough, one of the best natural and low light wedding photographers I have seen. You only miss the ultrawides if you have occasion to need them, though the situation is now eased with the 8-15 zoom and careful use, or de-fishing. As for the 7D being more universal, I don't quite know what that means, if you mean it is more ubiquitous, that is probably because it is less than half the price. But I can't think of one aspect that the 7D is better or more useful for than the 1D MkIV.</p>

<p>Belinda,<br>

Given your desired features you should be quite happy with your 5DII. As some have pointed out already the comparison with the Mark IV is a little unbalanced. Of course 1-series cameras are a slightly different breed and come from a different heritage. But lucky for us Canon put out a full-frame camera that is just as "professional" in many ways but much more affordable. For a direct comparison you'd have to consider the 1Ds Mark III really and not the Mark IV.<br>

I personally wouldn't want to trade my 5DII for a Mark IV but that comes down to taste and usage. As far as the balance of feel I second the idea of adding the battery grip to the 5DII (ideally the original Canon part because it's made from the exact same materials). Not exactly the same as a 1-series camera as far as ergonomics go, but there are actually a few benefits to it. You can take it off, for example if you want to travel really small. And the other great thing is the ability to stick AA batteries into the grip. So when travelling and without longer access to an outlet or if you lose or forget your charger you can always go to the next gas station and keep shooting.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I still have a 1Ds mark one, eight years and still clicking (think I've realized ROI on that). Use it when I need FF and wides. Even at 11mp, I never had the desire to replace it. It's not broken, yet.</p>

<p>I also use a couple of 7Ds for daily, (and I miss my 40d that I literally wore out -useful tool that one). We all want the luxury model, but what we really need is the right tool for the job. How much camera is too much? Depends on how much Camera you need. Get what you need.</p>

<p>Reliability is not an issue for the 5D MkII or the 7D except in the most extreme conditions. I shoot my 7D in the rain and snow and temps below zero with no significant concerns. Many pros use the 5D2 as their go-to wedding, portrait and landscap body. The 1D Mk? is indeed big and heavy, but you gain some fps, AF sophistication, weather sealing, shutter life, etc. that might make it worth while for those that need it for sports, wildlife and certain other uses.</p>

<p>Belinda, I don't think you'll regret a 5D2 purchase. I wouldn't be surprised if you added another body within a year or two, but I bet that you hang onto the 5D2. I love my 5D2/7D body combo combined with three great lenses. (24-105mm, 70-200mm and 500mm).</p>

<p>FWIW: 1D4 is overall the best camera made by Canon to date, period.The IQ is unvelivable: sharp, vibrant, images, files are very "torture resistant" in post (almost as much as the files from 1Ds3 and certainly way more than from 5D2 or Nikon D3) plus the best, fastest AF ever, and the whole nine yards of the 1D-specific features. And if you have to shoot JPEGs, say, because the stuff gos on the wire just a few seconds later, no existing camera can deliver better straight-from-the-camera output.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>files are very "torture resistant" in post</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just out of curiosity, can somebody explain what that means to a guy with limited DSLR experience? I am reasonably computer literate, and it isn't obvious to me what difference there might be in the files from different cameras that could have an impact on their post processing possibilities.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>explain</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The quantity and quality of raw data in the files produced by 1D4 allow for substantial corrections/manipulations of the image in post without introducing excessive artifacts. 1Ds3 is an absolute champ in this area but 1D4 is very close. What I mean by "manipulation" are drastic changes in gamma, contrast, brightness, color balance, hue, saturation, shadow/highlight relationships, etc., and sharpening. Simply stated, raw is not raw is not raw: files from some cameras lend themselves to more manipulation than from others.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The quantity and quality of raw data in the files produced by 1D4 allow for substantial corrections/manipulations of the image in post without introducing excessive artifacts.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe you can show some examples that show why one is so much better than the other. Otherwise, it's just internet chatter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it's just internet chatter.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, that's what it is, no more no less. <br>

It is hard to prove nuances with a small low quality JPEG but that post processing aspect is mentioned in many a review of 1D4, 1Ds3, 5D, etc.</p>