"Head to head!" Leica IIIf w/Summar 50/2 vs Nikon D2X w/Nikkor 50/1.4...

jsc1

Question: Which "system" is the "better paperweight?" Barnack-style Leica or "flagship"

Nikon D2X...

Method: Using "standardized" Post-It brand notes, made by 3M, I placed a Leica IIIf RD ST

w/ Leicavit Rapidwinder, Okaro eyepiece and Summar 50/2 with SOOMP hood on a stack

of Post-It Notes. I then photographed the result from two views. Then, I placed a Nikon

D2X with a Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS, Hoya 52mm UV[0] filter and an HS-9 hood on the same pile

of Post-It notes. I photographed the result from two views.

Discussion: I realize there will almost certainly be ferocious argument but I do think the

inference is unavoidable. Using a Nikon D2X as a paperweight for 3M Post-It Notes is

dangerous practice. The Post-It notes seem to disappear unless you make a habit of

always looking very carefully from the side. On the other hand, the Barnack system

permits easy recognition of the distinctive pink Post-It notes even from above.

Conclusion: As a paperweight for the ubiquitous and widely used 3M Post-It brand notes,

the Barnack-style Leica IIIf RD ST w/ Leicavit Rapidwinder, Okaro eyepiece and Summar

50/2 with SOOMP hood is superior to the Nikon D2X w/ Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS, Hoya 52mm

UV[0] filter and an HS-9 hood.<div>00GMbo-29894384.jpg.1dc712472e85c6cc0ba8e406dee2917b.jpg</div>

When I read the title of your posting, I thought here is a guy who is trying to compare oranges and apples.

<br>

I cannot however help thinking that the Nikon D2X with Nikkor 50/1,4 would be a superior support for the 3M post-it than the Leica IIIf RD ST w/ Leicavit Rapidwinder, but it is another test. If ever you have time to perform this daunting task, please do so... I do not have pink 3M post-it so I cannot do the test myself.

<br>

THanks for the laught.

Rich Silfver , may 10, 2006; 10:27 a.m.

Were there batteries in the D2X - and were there any pink post-it notes injured during the

making of this test?

It's always nice to hear from California!

John Brewton , may 10, 2006; 11:33 a.m.

So, Kevin. What do you think of major league baseball using the pink bats?

Where? "Pink" bats are legal.

John... Please... a little respect for my "agenda..."

I like to make people smile... it's so "hard to come by."

So please! Ease the "politics" and "smile." Isn't this "funny?"

Frankly. I like "pink." As my "XY" genone for "XX" wife would attest!

This is not a fair test !! We cannot confirm from the images that there is a block of Post-It

notes under the Nikon. if you want us to take you seriously then you need to do better

tahn this Josiah.

Also, why such a big age difference? The Leica took 40 years to become a paper weight,

the Nikon DSLR just 2 years. The Canon 1Ds took 3 years although it's a bit too heavy for

a paper weight. Are you truly being impartial here ?

A friend of mine just found an old paperweight in the attic. It has the original box and doesn't look as if it ever has weighed down a single paper. How do I find out about the value?

How does define and measure the "utility" of a paperweight? I would think that having some functionality other than being a paperweight would be a negative value -- might induce someone to use the object other than as a paperweight. So I would surmise that neither of your candidates are optimal. At least compared with a goodly portion of the cameras I have acquired via evilbay. These objects serve no other earthly purpose, not even as doorstops.