Head for monopod?

bill_meyer

Can anyone give me advice on a good head for a monopod. I'm looking for something with a quick release. Is pan and tilt better or a ball head? Something that can hold my A2 with a 300 f/4 and 1.4x tc, etc. I want to use this mainly for wildlife and sports photography.

<P>The Really Right Stuff people suggest the following: Gitzo G1564, Bogen 3232 swivel head, and the RRS B2-Pro clamp. I posted this in the regular Q&A forum: http://db.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0001BO. You will find additional suggestions by searching for "monopod".

<P>If you're already using the Arca-Swiss style release plates, this is pretty much a no-brainer.

The EF 300/4 has a tripod collar, you really don't need a head on your monopod when using this lens. You only need to rotate the lens in the collar to get verticals, and as far as getting movement in the other two directions it only has one leg, so you get that even when you don't want it...

I strongly suggest the Bogen 3232 swivel head. It allows you to tilt the lens up or down easily while keeping the monopod vertical. You use the lens collar to rotate the camera for verticals and rotate the monopod from side to side for following action. The head is very inexpensive. Add the Really Right Stuff B-2 Clamp for quick release and you're all set.

I use the Bogen 3232 swivel head and RRS B2 clamp on my monopod too. Obviously the main advantage of the quick release, which is compatible with my Arca Swiss ball head. Unfortunately, the 3232, like most Bogen heads, is a bit bulky, but it does the job.

• 1 month later...

Bill-

I'm a little late chipping in, but I've shot soccer for several years with a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO and Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 on a monopod, so I thought my experience might help. Both these lenses have tripod collars and run about the same size as the 300mm w/converter you want to use. I initially used the monopod without a head, but quickly found that when the action came my way, I had to lean forward, sometimes lifting the monopod to reposition it, which was a pain in the butt. I purchased the Bogen 3232 and bolted a Kirk QR-1 to it; I think the total cost was about $65. This gave me just enough vertical movement to relieve the problem, without affecting the steadiness of the monopod. It was a very good move and I recommend it.

Incidently, I opted for the Benbo 95XL monopod for its maximum height, but came to love it because it is very solid and has only two sections, with the upper one sliding into the lower, which is great if you have to stick it in deep mud or swamp. It adjusts quickly with one large, secure locking knob.

Hope this info isn't too late for you to consider. Good luck.