HC-B's first Leica, need history expert explaination

Troll

This is shown as HC-B's first Leica (#20502). It appears to be a "hockey

stick" model A with non-interchangable Elmar lens. It is often reported that

he bought his first Leica (used) in 1931, and this serial number is consistant

with a manufacturing date of 1929.<P>My problem is that it has a chrome/nickel

finish, and according to Rogliatti and others, only black (or gold) cameras

were produced until well after the Model II was introduced in 1933.<P>Can

anybody enlighten me? Thanks.<div>00LmF2-37321184.jpg.4f1c89d8d737144c971fe0a11d4a786b.jpg</div>

Perhaps refinished after he bought it as part of a factory upgrade? Or parts swap, it's only the bottom, top, shutter speed surround, accessory shoe, and finder that would need to be replaced. Leica would engrave the correct serial number when replacing the top cover.

HC-B's even black-taped his M3 bodies. If he'd sent it back to Leitz for anything, I don't believe that he would have converted it to chrome.<P>Of course we can all speculate, but does anyone actually KNOW anything about it?

If I remember correctly Leica did make the odd chrome camera, here and there in the early

days. Think of it as an a'la carte option.

Chrome cameras came in the satin finish we all know, but there also was a finish that is

sometimes called 'bright-chrome' that had a more shiny appearance.

Also don't forget that HCB came from a very wealthy family and could afford pretty much

anything he wanted; especially before the war.

Bill, Your question is very interesting. If anyone has, or is able to locate, the book "The World of Henri Cartier-Bresson", go to page 16. There is a photograph of a man behind a window of a restaurant in Paris taken in 1932. Some will say this is far-fetched, and it may be. If one looks above the head of the man wearing the derby, he will see a "ghost" image of HCB in a reflection in the window. One can see his collar and the strap of his camera bag and his hand holding the Leica sideways as he walks past the window. There is a reflection of what looks like a round chrome Elmar and the chrome controls on the top of the camera, but the body appears to be black. He may have taped even back then. Call me crazy but I have been looking at that reflection each time I pick up my copy of the book, which my little brother gave me for a Christmas present in 1971. Please let me know you thoughts.. Robbie