HC-110 -5ml, how much water do I add to it?

Kevin, the HC-110 keeps really well as the syrup (my bottle is over a year old, not stored with any special precautions, and is going strong still) and I would second the recommendation to skip the stock solution and just dilute whatever you need directly from the syrup just before use.<p>

Useful HC-110 sites ---<p>

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html<br>

http://www.mironchuk.com/hc-110.html<br>

HC-110 math confounds me too because it's so highly concentrated and I never progressed in college beyond "Math for Morons" otherwise known as math for athletes and journalists.

Even if you're off a bit in making the stock solution I'll bet it'll hardly be noticeable. After developing a couple of rolls you'll know how much to adjust your development times.

Kevin, please note that the instructions given above by Enrique Vila: "mix the syrup directly 1:32 with water to get the working solution" are WRONG. To get a Dilution B directly from the syrup, you should mix 1 oz. of developer with 31 oz. [not 32]. This is the best way to use HC-110, IMO.

Be sure and wash out the mixing cup several times in the diluted solution in order to use all the concentrate. If you have a way, eliminate the air in the concentrate bottle after pouring out a portion [i use nitrogen to replace the air].

The Covington site mentioned above contains quite useful info on this fine developer.

I have been using this stuff since kodak first produced it. It is best not to make a stock soln, it does not keep. The syrup keeps indefinitly. For one roll in a small single ss tank make one portion of dilution B by mixing 300 ml water with 9.7 ml syrup. Use it once and discard it. The stuff is cheap.

Richard

It`s 1 part stock to 31 parts water. 5 x 31= 155 water. Get a 10cc graduate, you can`t measure 10cc accurately with a 250cc graduate, and mix with the 10 cc stock with 310 cc water. Use as much as you need and throw away the balance. Be sure to rinse the 10 cc graduate with the stock solution so you get all of it mixed. The problem in going from stock is small errors in measuring from stock, will make a big error after mixing.

Previous answer told you to mix 9.7 ml or so. You really can`t measure that carefully.

Last caution is to measure to the bottom of the meniscus in the 10cc graduate. That is the curve of the liquid held that way by surface tension. Same way every time or there will be trouble.

A transfer pipette is the best way to move small amounts of liquid. This is sort of like an eyedropper.

Actually, rather than a 10 ml graduate I would recommend one of the medical syringes they use to give medicine to infants. They cost about $2 at most drug stores. Easier to find and most will measure to about 25 or 30 ml - more versatile but still adequately precised for small amounts.

For years I've heard claims of poor keeping qualities for the stock solution made from mixing up the concentrate into water as described by Kodak.

Does anyone actually have any evidence to back this up or is it all hearsay? We know that at least some reasonably reliable tests have been conducted on D-76/ID-11 to determine its keeping properties over a matter of months.

Also, if the stock solution is being mixed up for use in a school or community darkroom it's likely to be used up in a week. So how long does the stuff need to keep anyway?

Ronald, Above you mention not being able to measure 9.7 ml of HC110 syrup accurately but you can get close enough by purchasing at your local pharmacy a measuring syringe designed for measuring childrens medications. I use one that measures 10 ml and is graduated in tenths of a ml. They cost about five bucks. Scientific accuracy is unnessary as there are so many variables such as variations in shutter speeds, meters, thermometers, clocks, agitation and so on. Fortunately things seem to average out and we get proper negs most of the time!