Having no luck finding models for fine art photos

Discussion in 'Portraits and Fashion' started by jerry plunk, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Does anyone know if there is a site or network to find models who would be interested in creating fine art nudes? Trying to find models for this either creates a very awkward conversation or brings forth people that are not necessarily interested in "fine art" as much as they are in crazy underground kinds of stuff. Any direction would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Try Modelmayhem

3. If there's a college nearby which offers a studio art major, call the dean's office. My kid's college employed models, nude and not, male & female covering a wide age span.
    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

4. thank you ken tam. i have tried that route but no responses and then my account was cancelled. upon review of others input regarding that site, it seemed that there were very little, if even more than one, positive review for mm. sort of scared me actually to get involved with that site.
    Henry Posner, thank you. i did not think of that. being an art student and haven taken figure structure drawing classes, i should have thought of that. i'll do that.

5. You might try http://figuremodels.org.
    I've seen several images on photo.net using one of the models from this site.

6. www.onemodelplace.com/
    You may try this one.

7. Have people had issues with Model Mayhem? I don't think there is any reason to be scared off by that site. My experiences with models from Model Mayhem have been somewhat limited but very positive. I think Henry's suggestion of a local college is right on the money. Craigslist also may yield positive results, but when I first started using it (before I had a portfolio) I experienced lots of flakes/no-shows.
    Ultimately I think finding models willing to pose nude will depend heavily on compensation. Are you offering fair pay? If so, there are plenty of striking models willing to do nude work on Model Mayhem. Craigslist will also yield a lot of hits, but you won't be able to "vet" them, meaning you will probably get a lot of responses by people who don't fit the look/vibe you are going for.
    If it's a trade for print deal you are hoping for, models are (understandably) hesitant to do this, even if you have a rockstar portfolio. If you are limited on funds, I highly recommend joining up with another photographer or two to put together enough money to hire an experienced model and take turns with the camera (a female photographer on hand will help to ease any tension!). It's a wonderful investment in your future. From my experience, the better your portfolio looks, the more willing models will be to do TFP shoots!

8. I agree with Gabriel, Model Mayhem is a good site to book nude models... I have use MM a lot over the past few years. Most of the well known traveling models will expect fair pay but if your portfolio is solid you can get some trade with some of them. New models pop up a lot and they need to build their ports, they will trade but they may or may not show up. I have never had a model off MM that I offered to pay not show, trade is a different story... about 40 percent show up. If you're looking for skilled models that do nude work Model Mayhem is a good place to look.

9. I second Ken Tam's suggestion, but you have to become a member (you can do it for free but yu have limited photos you can display and limited number of emails every day you can send. A paying membership is not that much though.

10. Craigslist gigs is good for that. I have found many good models there, mostly amateur.

11. Go to some universities..
    Prada

12. over 100 artistic nude models on my site demifray.com

13. Hi Demi. thank you for your info. i looked on your site and it's great. are you or others in the US?

14. paul ron

paul ron NYC

everyone migrated from model mayhem to Facebook and Instagram.

MM is run by a bunch of kids with big heads. lots of the real talent left because )f the stupid mods treat their paying accounts like crap.

now all you'll find are young wanabe models asking $100/hr with 4 selfie phone snaps. the only plus to that is if they show up for your gig, they look exactly like they did in those selfies. but.... that's if they show up!

gregninke likes this.
  15. Just to balance the viewpoint, Raymond Elstad, Jim Phelps and I have been members of Model Mayhem for over ten years. We have found excellent models there, both on a. paying and TF basis ("Time for Prints", which in fact today is supplemented by low to medium resolution pics sent over the internet).. I strongly recommend the site,. Moreover, it's free, unless you require certain privileges which I have never used (there are presently well over a million inscribed members, though undoubtedly there is a rapid turnover).

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  16. Some “crazy underground kinds of stuff” is finer art than a lot of so-called fine art.