have you used/tried a Trioplan V Meyer 100mm F2.8 lens ?

pc1

just wanted to know how this lens performs and what you

guys think about it (performance wise)? this one's in an Exa/Exacta

mount. thanks for any info you might have for me.<div>008VOp-18331984.jpg.6da34a4264712f05641f631d05d0f2d2.jpg</div>

Well it's a beautiful lens, externally, but not very well constructed (it's not very rigid as you might have noticed). It has a triplet construction, optically. I assume that's (one of the reasons) why it is somewhat soft, even at middle apertures. On the other hand, it does have a kinda glow (y'know, from older lenses, probably due to the few lens elements), which makes it a great portrait lens, although it is a bit slow in use due to the stop down diaphragm.

If I attach this lens to my Canon FT or FTb camera (w/ adapter) the lightmeter shows a 1/2 to 1 stop difference, compared with my 50/1.4 (more elements, multiple coating) at the same aperture.

The other (later) Meyer 100/2.8 is a much sharper lens, but this one looks real cool (I like the attached sunhood) and is a wonderful portrait lens.

I used one once in 1951 on a 6x6 Korelle Reflex which belonged to my Biology teacher. It was the worst lens I've ever used, unsharp at every stop! I remember that it was a roll of Ektachrome, and all three color images were different sized on the film. It should have been called an un-apocromat!

They vary a lot from example to example. We had two for our school Exas and one was reasonable (though a long way from excellent) but the other was known as 'the milk bottle' for obvious reasons. It was just hard luck if you needed a long focus lens and the milk bottle came your way!

Definitely test before buying unless you're getting it for pennies.

thanks guys , i was really interested in this lens , and did a search , but i would rather hear (actual experiences) from you guys , also i thot this would be nice for my little Exa , thinking maybe it'd be a great portrait lens and at F2.8,that should result in a very pleasing background blur.

anyway , so glad i didn't get the lens ,almost did tho Harvey, i bought extension tubes instead so i can play around with a bit of Macro , when i get a chance to take a holiday back in our farm.

thanks to everyone that shared ...pc